• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,425 posts in this topic

20 is one of my favorites and my copy holds a special place in my heart.

My dad was always super supportive of my involvement in comics. He tagged along as I went to shows when I was a kid. And he gave me some great advice when I was deciding whether or not to open my first store. He said, "you have always wanted to do this. So do it. What's the worst that could happen? If it doesn't work out you just go get another job." When I opened in 1990 I pulled a bunch of books out of my collection to sell. One of them was a nice Batman 20. Dad saw it for sale and said, "you don't want to sell that, do you?" "Got to, dad. I need the money." So my dad, wonderful guy that he was, said "Well I'll be one of your first sales." And he bought it. And funny enough, he liked it so much he would never sell it back to me, even after I was flush enough to be able to afford it again. Anyway, after dad passed my mom gave me the book back saying he wanted me to have it.

batman20.jpg

What a great story. Thanks so much for sharing it.

What a great Dad! I hope he got the chance to see your success.

Another great thing about comic books - their potential to serve as emotional touchstones.

Thanks again for a real heartwarmer!

This hasn't arrived at the house yet, but it has been paid for. So, hopefully it will be here soon.

Closing in on the Batman subset that I'm collecting.

batman20_zps92d39d0a.jpg

Absolutely AWESOME book man CONGRATS!!!!!! Hopefully it is in hand by the time you read this!!!! Great Feat as well would love to see a group shot if get a chance sometime!!!!

Closing in on the Batman subset that I'm collecting.

batman20_zps92d39d0a.jpg

Great book, Bill.

All you need is a 21 to have completed the subset of 20 -21! :applause:

Thanks Richard :)

But I won't be adding a 21 to this particular subset :sorry:

The group I am after contains the following issues:

1 - 11, 13 - 16, 18, 20, 23, 25, 31, 37, 38, 40, 42, 44, 47 and 50

You have a complete run of #20! Congrats (thumbs u

You know I kid. 20 is one of my favorites and my copy holds a special place in my heart.

My dad was always super supportive of my involvement in comics. He tagged along as I went to shows when I was a kid. And he gave me some great advice when I was deciding whether or not to open my first store. He said, "you have always wanted to do this. So do it. What's the worst that could happen? If it doesn't work out you just go get another job." When I opened in 1990 I pulled a bunch of books out of my collection to sell. One of them was a nice Batman 20. Dad saw it for sale and said, "you don't want to sell that, do you?" "Got to, dad. I need the money." So my dad, wonderful guy that he was, said "Well I'll be one of your first sales." And he bought it. And funny enough, he liked it so much he would never sell it back to me, even after I was flush enough to be able to afford it again. Anyway, after dad passed my mom gave me the book back saying he wanted me to have it.

batman20.jpg

Fantastic story. :applause:

i know we're accustomed to varying grades on books from the same pedigree, or unpedigreed but nonetheless identifiable collections, but the difference between these two circle a books i have is ridiculous. just picked up the victory. bedrock has another circle a air fighters, and it's more like the former.

afjaprats.jpg

victory3.jpg

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

He did. He actually worked in the shop.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

He did. He actually worked in the shop.

that's where i met him. what a great guy.

I stepped a bit outside my usual run of titles but have added this to my micro-sized collection of Denver peds.

Catman1_zps4df86646.jpg

Well that's just beautiful! (thumbs u

I stepped a bit outside my usual run of titles but have added this to my micro-sized collection of Denver peds.

Catman1_zps4df86646.jpg

A long time ago Verzyl told me he had seen the Mile High, Larson and Denver copies of Catman #1. He felt the Denver was the best of the three. :applause: