• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,416 posts in this topic

I stepped a bit outside my usual run of titles but have added this to my micro-sized collection of Denver peds.

Catman1_zps4df86646.jpg

A long time ago Verzyl told me he had seen the Mile High, Larson and Denver copies of Catman #1. He felt the Denver was the best of the three. :applause:

That is cool to hear. This was the first copy of #1 I think I have seen.

Thanks, Richard. I just wish the paper wasn't sticking out.

I tap those back in all the time.

I couldn't get this one to budge.

First world problems :facepalm:

Whoa - never noticed that cover before! (Now where's my wants list?)

Powell did some fantastic cover work for S&S ... too bad the interiors didn't always live up to Powell's standard on the cover.

Funny enough on a recent podcast (iFanboy), the topic of comics covers in the current market came up: should the cover artist be the interior artist? Nothing new under the sun, eh?

Whoa - never noticed that cover before! (Now where's my wants list?)

Powell did some fantastic cover work for S&S ... too bad the interiors didn't always live up to Powell's standard on the cover.

Funny enough on a recent podcast (iFanboy), the topic of comics covers in the current market came up: should the cover artist be the interior artist? Nothing new under the sun, eh?

Oh I don't know - straw man just introduced the term guppy to collecting terminolgy and I cant quite get the image out of my head, as in "Don't scare the guppies!"

I stepped a bit outside my usual run of titles but have added this to my micro-sized collection of Denver peds.

Catman1_zps4df86646.jpg

sorry you let the hello pal 1 slip by now, aren't you?

very nice book, sir.

Catman1_zps4df86646.jpg

very nice book, sir.

I was holding out for the 50% off sale on the Mile High copy at Metro.

Catman1_zps4df86646.jpg

very nice book, sir.

No, that wont be until the next century. I love it when Metro offer a $50 discount on a $5000 book. It's such an incentive.

Catman1_zps4df86646.jpg

very nice book, sir.

No, that wont be until the next century. I love it when Metro offer a $50 discount on a $5000 book. It's such an incentive.

I can't believe I will have to wait a century to get my copy! :cry:

Spirit tabs.

Not Spirit sections, mind you - though they're wonderful.

Spirit tabs are - pure and simple - the most beautiful, luxuriously huge comic books ever. Post war Spirit's are the best art and stories anyway - but at 11 x 15 inches they are comic nirvana and sweet sensory overload that you can practically feel yourself diving headfirst into.

Of course, you can't see that just looking at the scans below - to really appreciate how gorgeous a Spirit tab is, you have to hold one in your hands. You have to lay on the floor (preferably on a Sunday morning) with one spread out in front of you and drink in every oversize panel of the Spirit's latest comedy / fairy tale / comic noir adventure.

My latest Spirit tabs, both from 1951. yahoo.gif

T2eC16hkE9s4BumBRWLTsNrK60_57.jpg

T2eC16NEE9s2ufg2BRWLdot3oQ60_57.jpg

Bought this from the for sale forum today. So it won't be here for a while. I'm thrilled to get it though, as I have a very personal connection to this book.

Ruben bought it from me years ago. Apparently he had it restored as it was from an original owner collection when I had obtained it.

I've been on the lookout over the years for a book from the collection and haven't found a single one until today.

I recognized it by the red grease pencil markings. Some of my old geek buddies might recognize it as well

:)

tec12_zpsd0f1e63c.jpg

Spirit tabs.

Not Spirit sections, mind you - though they're wonderful.

Spirit tabs are - pure and simple - the most beautiful, luxuriously huge comic books ever. Post war Spirit's are the best art and stories anyway - but at 11 x 15 inches they are comic nirvana and sweet sensory overload that you can practically feel yourself diving headfirst into.

Of course, you can't see that just looking at the scans below - to really appreciate how gorgeous a Spirit tab is, you have to hold one in your hands. You have to lay on the floor (preferably on a Sunday morning) with one spread out in front of you and drink in every oversize panel of the Spirit's latest comedy / fairy tale / comic noir adventure.

My latest Spirit tabs, both from 1951. yahoo.gif

T2eC16hkE9s4BumBRWLTsNrK60_57.jpg

T2eC16NEE9s2ufg2BRWLdot3oQ60_57.jpg

Ho-LEE Crunk!

I've had plenty of sections over the years but never a TAB. I really REALLY want one now.... What areas were they distributed through, want papers?