• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,459 posts in this topic

Had a blast at Todd's comic geekfest and BBQ today. Managed to work out a nice trade with a buddy of mine for this lovely book.

It may not be the "hottest" book on the planet right now, but it is still a very key book in my view and it is from 1939 :cloud9:

First appearance of Sandman, and a blonde Superman :)

nyworldsfair1939_zps97c3355f.jpg

I love that book and that's one of the nicer looking copies of it I've seen. Well done Bill.

Thanks Peter. It does have nice paper. A fair amount of color touch as well lol

But I'm happy with it :)

Had a blast at Todd's comic geekfest and BBQ today. Managed to work out a nice trade with a buddy of mine for this lovely book.

It may not be the "hottest" book on the planet right now, but it is still a very key book in my view and it is from 1939 :cloud9:

I love that book and that's one of the nicer looking copies of it I've seen. Well done Bill.

... that comic reeks of abject coolness..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

... that comic reeks of abject coolness..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Cool stuff Bill. I've never read one before, is the Sandman origin a good read?

Interesting that "Butch the Pup" got top billing over the Sandman on this cover. lol

It's actually not an origin story. It was released 4/30/1939 which pre-dates Adventure #40 by about 6 weeks, so it is the first appearance of The Sandman. But it is believed that the story in Adventure #40 was the first conceived story.

Neither is an origin story though.

The one in NYWF 1939 centers around spies stealing the design of a ray gun that Wesley Dodds has created. The Sandman tracks down the thieves on their yacht and discovers that his colleague who runs Dodd's billion dollar corporation, is the real culprit and a traitor.

All of the stories take place around the World's Fair as you can imagine.

The Superman story is a pretty good one. He displays his "faster than a speeding bullet" talent by saving Lois Lane from a bullet fired at her from point blank range.

It's actually not an origin story. It was released 4/30/1939 which pre-dates Adventure #40 by about 6 weeks, so it is the first appearance of The Sandman. But it is believed that the story in Adventure #40 was the first conceived story.

The one in NYWF 1939 centers around spies stealing the design of a ray gun that Wesley Dodds has created. The Sandman tracks down the thieves on their yacht and discovers that his colleague who runs Dodd's billion dollar corporation, is the real culprit and a traitor.

The Superman story is a pretty good one. He displays his "faster than a speeding bullet" talent by saving Lois Lane from a bullet fired at her from point blank range.

Does Ginger Snap go to the World's Fair?

Edited by Larryw7

:cry:

[font:Times New Roman]I was getting ready to comment on how stunningly nice Bill's New York World's Fair Comics looks and up pops a display of Schomburg goodness from several publishers that completely distracted me! :sorry:

BTW, the NYWF book is still a stunner, Bill. Congrats! [/font] :gossip:

[font:Times New Roman]I was getting ready to comment on how stunningly nice Bill's New York World's Fair Comics looks and up pops a display of Schomburg goodness from several publishers that completely distracted me! :sorry:

Thank you! the Mystery #1 is also signed :)

lol Thanks Cat

+1. very nice, pons.

+1. very nice, pons.

Thanks Billy :)

Does Ginger Snap go to the World's Fair?

Actually, yes.

Very cool book,Pons. Congrats! Love to see some interior shots if you get a chance. :wishluck:

Great books as always on this thread.

Been loving Star Spangled Comics lately. The Batman /Robin stories especially.

Thought I would show an ultra sweet one I got yesterday.

SSC90_zps85f86a6a.jpg

Great book! I would like to complete the set of Batman Star Spangled covers one of these days.

Great books as always on this thread.

Been loving Star Spangled Comics lately. The Batman /Robin stories especially.

Thought I would show an ultra sweet one I got yesterday.

SSC90_zps85f86a6a.jpg

Really sweet copy Rip

Very cool book,Pons. Congrats! Love to see some interior shots if you get a chance. :wishluck:

Here you go Russ

P1010056_zps38c6f94a.jpg

P1010057_zps65ff9f80.jpg

P1010058_zps769ed16d.jpg