• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,425 posts in this topic

I guess I need to get out to more coffee shops...

I met a guy in a coffee shop this morning.

Said he got the book 40 years ago when the lady who lived above him started throwing away a lot of her junk in a dumpster.

It's missing the last interior page but needless to say I was pretty damn happy.

Action20_zps4a4eb7c3.jpg

Just got these two Famous Funnies from a guy who had inherited them and doesn't care for comics. I have been purchasing from him recently as he finds comics in random boxes. I never know what he is going to have like these, the Peanuts, etc..

Famous209_zps9cc4b077.jpg

Famous210_zpseb467082.jpg

Terrific find. Great books. (thumbs u

So here is a little story for you. The picture below is of 23 Batman 3-d's I bought from a guy who had bought them in a box that was being sold at a bookstore going out of business in 1972ish. There was also a Superman 3-D as well, and I already owned the highest graded Superman 3-D at 9.0. He bought them for a price of 2 for a quarter or a grand total of about $6.00. Anyhow, he bought 25 of them, but sold one a few years back to Metropolis for around 650.00.

Well I met him and found out he had all of these when I thought I was about to purchase one. He had no intention of selling them all until I let him know I would like to own them all. We worked out a deal for each one well below what he had gotten for the other one. Since I was getting them all he was willing to cut me a great deal.

Anyhow, prior to me sending them into CGC there were only 11 graded and only a few of those Universal. The highest prior to me sending them in was a 9.0. Well as you can see in the photo the 23 Batman's came back with a couple 9.6's, eight 9.4's, three 9.2's, six 9.0's, an 8.5, two 8.0's and a 7.5 the other Superman came back as a 9.0 as well. So I now have the only two Superman 9.0's

Okay here is the real kicker. Notice the top row all high grade but are restoration labels. CGC got these a little wrong. I know for a fact these were sitting in the box from the original owner since 1972 and were never put on the shelf in 1953. The previous owner does not collect comics nor cares about comics. Why would he just pick five books out and color touch as CGC says. Maybe there was some discoloration or abrasion that made it appear an area was color touched. It just say minor color touch on the labels. Needless to say at some point I will break them out and send them back in to see what happens if they comeback the same, but my money is on they come back Universal like the rest.

Sorry for flash on picture but you get the idea. Anyone have any idea what these 25 books would be worth if sold as a group or individually? Basically I have every thing from 7.5 on up out there except the one 9.0 prior to me sending these in.

Batman3-Dcomics1953_zpse547c3af.jpg

:o(worship)

So here is a little story for you. The picture below is of 23 Batman 3-d's I bought from a guy who had bought them in a box that was being sold at a bookstore going out of business in 1972ish. There was also a Superman 3-D as well, and I already owned the highest graded Superman 3-D at 9.0. He bought them for a price of 2 for a quarter or a grand total of about $6.00. Anyhow, he bought 25 of them, but sold one a few years back to Metropolis for around 650.00.

Well I met him and found out he had all of these when I thought I was about to purchase one. He had no intention of selling them all until I let him know I would like to own them all. We worked out a deal for each one well below what he had gotten for the other one. Since I was getting them all he was willing to cut me a great deal.

Anyhow, prior to me sending them into CGC there were only 11 graded and only a few of those Universal. The highest prior to me sending them in was a 9.0. Well as you can see in the photo the 23 Batman's came back with a couple 9.6's, eight 9.4's, three 9.2's, six 9.0's, an 8.5, two 8.0's and a 7.5 the other Superman came back as a 9.0 as well. So I now have the only two Superman 9.0's

Okay here is the real kicker. Notice the top row all high grade but are restoration labels. CGC got these a little wrong. I know for a fact these were sitting in the box from the original owner since 1972 and were never put on the shelf in 1953. The previous owner does not collect comics nor cares about comics. Why would he just pick five books out and color touch as CGC says. Maybe there was some discoloration or abrasion that made it appear an area was color touched. It just say minor color touch on the labels. Needless to say at some point I will break them out and send them back in to see what happens if they comeback the same, but my money is on they come back Universal like the rest.

Sorry for flash on picture but you get the idea. Anyone have any idea what these 25 books would be worth if sold as a group or individually? Basically I have every thing from 7.5 on up out there except the one 9.0 prior to me sending these in.

Batman3-Dcomics1953_zpse547c3af.jpg

thats really an awesome picture! congrats!

congrats too on putting out a real buzzkill for the perceived scarcity of these two books too.

Well its still a pretty scarce book as these wont be seen for another 20 years+ unless someone buys them all as of right now I have no intention of separating them. I also have one more of each in high grade I didn't send in that I have had for a couple decades.

Edited by Earthshaker01

A fairly recent pickup

a61e372a-e354-4105-97cd-dd62fef789ff_zps5c84c2d8.jpg

Great looking book. :applause:

If you look closely at the front of the treasure chest you'll find some interesting treats.

The writing on the front edge of the lid reads, "Entire contents of this magazine prepared by Jon L. Blummer."

Blummer also hid his name among the filigree he drew on the lock cover plate.

treasurebox.jpg