• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,421 posts in this topic

Just got back from New Orleans. Picked up an incredible cold, a cool piece of Timely art that I'll post soon, and these two...

national4.jpg

starspangled122.jpg

Gorgeous books! Church was very meticulous in making his pencil markings on certain books so as not to interfere with the cover. This National is an exceptional example of that.

It was not Church who coded the books, but who ever did it had pretty nice, consistent handwriting!

I forgot about that. Was the coding done by someone in the store who was pulling books for him?

Just got back from New Orleans. Picked up an incredible cold, a cool piece of Timely art that I'll post soon, and these two...

national4.jpg

starspangled122.jpg

Gorgeous books! Church was very meticulous in making his pencil markings on certain books so as not to interfere with the cover. This National is an exceptional example of that.

It was not Church who coded the books, but who ever did it had pretty nice, consistent handwriting!

I forgot about that. Was the coding done by someone in the store who was pulling books for him?

That's the general consensus.

The writings are typical distributor marks made by staff of the place selling the comics.

The "D" indicates which distributor will receive any unsold copies and will reimburse the store their purchase price for each one. The second distributor was coded with a "C."

The date is the day that the comics were received from the distributor or were placed on the newsstand. Some stores did that because the date printed on the magazine was the date that unsold copies should be pulled and sent back to the distributor.

The final number is the quantity of that particular issue received from the distributor. Ideally, the store would be able to monitor for spoilage or theft.

The writings are typical distributor marks made by staff of the place selling the comics.

The "D" indicates which distributor will receive any unsold copies and will reimburse the store their purchase price for each one. The second distributor was coded with a "C."

The date is the day that the comics were received from the distributor or were placed on the newsstand. Some stores did that because the date printed on the magazine was the date that unsold copies should be pulled and sent back to the distributor.

The final number is the quantity of that particular issue received from the distributor. Ideally, the store would be able to monitor for spoilage or theft.

Thank you for clarifying. Have you ever seen a book with the coding from the store where Church purchased his books that are not part of the Mile High collection?

Thank you for clarifying. Have you ever seen a book with the coding from the store where Church purchased his books that are not part of the Mile High collection?

It's clearly possible because there were so many different issues in the Church collection (and therefore on the newsstand) and because there are many issues with a large number placed for sale (ie. Fawcetts).

I've not heard of any copy that has the proper coding but that we are confident was not purchased by Church.

It's clearly possible because there were so many different issues in the Church collection (and therefore on the newsstand) and because there are many issues with a large number placed for sale (ie. Fawcetts).

I've not heard of any copy that has the proper coding but that we are confident was not purchased by Church.

I assume you mean the double-dash style coding? Because the Aurora pedigree features the D from the same distributor as the Church books, although I think the double-dash style had been abandoned by the time the Aurora books start.

I assume you mean the double-dash style coding? Because the Aurora pedigree features the D from the same distributor as the Church books, although I think the double-dash style had been abandoned by the time the Aurora books start.

I was not referring to double-slash style coding as that was done by a seller of used books/comics and is not a distributor mark.

I believe that Sardo was asking whether anyone has seen a book from the same newsstand that Church purchased from and that has the exact same distributor marking but that was never owned by/purchased by Church.

A book from Aurora, CO would not count.

I once owned a double slash book that didn't come from the Church haul