• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is bronze alive because of love or speculation?

24 posts in this topic

I think some of the modern age books stories are better than the gold, silver, or bronze age. I was just reading some Marvel Essential stories from the silver age and the stories are pretty corny by today's standards. I think modern comics have come a long way because they are essentially written for adults now and not kids. I know a lot of people on this forum rip into todays books as being trash but I think the writing is very strong right now.

todays writing is strong, definatel better than any other age. The thing thats missing is the magical quality, or even innocense of pre 1986 books. Its a different type of medium now. I enjoy new & old, they are just different types of reads.

The thing thats missing is the magical quality, or even innocense of pre 1986 books.

Blame "Watchmen" and Alan Moore for that. grin.gif He goes into pretty good length in the new book about him (Extr. Works of A. Moore). It's pretty interesting. He talks about when writing "Watchmen" he wanted to do a super-hero treatment that hadn't been done before. After the success, everyone started writing darker characters. From the sound of it, that irritated him a little.

The message he was trying to send to other writers was that there were different ways of handling characters, and that writers should try and explore those possibilities. That's why with books like Supreme and Tom Strong, he went back to a "cornier" formula. To show that you could write great stories w/out being "dark" and moody.

Chris

i respect alan moore a lot of course (though i always like v for vendetta better than watchmen....) and i belive that is true. I hate to blame alan though, its everyone else's fault who aped him really. Sort of like when the beatles hit the scene & scores of various popular music types vanished from the mainstream because it was now all brit-pop. The English have a way of shaking it up, no?