• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is bronze alive because of love or speculation?

24 posts in this topic

I have been lurking on these boards for a while, but no longer! Hello all, maybe you have run into me on ebay, maybe not, hello anyway! I have been a long time bronze lover and can't help but worry about the interest in bronze of late and if its due to people who care coming of age, or jokers trying to cash in. What do you think? Luckily most things i like haven't gone nuts(but that 9.6 hom 174 blows my mind), but i do worry is all fluffed up prices. I am buying the books at the prices it takes, and while my motivation isn't speculation, i like to be able to get my money back in a pinch if i have to, and don't want the whole era collapsing because of investors bailing. Thoughts?

Welcome to the boards.

Hmmm. Buy what you like. If you want it bad enough to pay the price for it, then go for it.

As for the prices collapsing...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Cheaper comics for ME! makepoint.gif

Welcome to the boards.

Hmmm. Buy what you like. If you want it bad enough to pay the price for it, then go for it.

As for the prices collapsing...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Cheaper comics for ME! makepoint.gif

Took the words right out of my mouth.... 893applaud-thumb.gif

yeah i have a soft spot for HOM, its the 1st title i actively bought as a kid (Even though my grandmom kept buying eternals for me for some reason, GOD, why eternals?!?!?!?!) Awhile back i traded most of my high grade bronze horror for pre code, which was a great deal, but i just don't see copies like i used to have. Man i had a HOM 186 that would make a dead man cream, it had to be a 9.8! i bought it from avalon comics for the ungodly sum of $20 at the time(1991)....... 893frustrated.gif

[help but worry about the interest in bronze of late and if its due to people who care coming of age, or jokers trying to cash in. What do you think/quote]

I think it's true on both points. There are people who collect what they feel a nostalgic feeling for (BronzeBruce is a prime example of someone who collects what he grew up with) and there are those who jump on the bandwagon of whatever is hot at the time...(ie Daredevil....anyone ??) -

Personally, I think that Silver Age is the way to go. Bronze Age has some great stuff and the HOM & HOS are great series......along with alot of hard to find DC stuff....

The real speculation is the ultra-high grade. By this I mean 9.6 or higher. I Bronze-Age books have to be the biggest concern (though later Silver-Age might also be).

Examle:

1) a HOM comic goes for $400 in 9.8, but would only sell for $60 in 9.4.

2) there is only two copies in 9.8 in the census

3) five years from now, there are 20 copies in 9.8 in the census

4) is the 9.8 still going to sell for $400, probably not, but the 9.4 might still sell for $60

Plus, there are probably many collectors that wouldn't think about sending in Bronze-Age books, because if the book doesn't come back a 9.4, they will probably lose money. And not everyone can tell the difference between getting a 9.4 or 9.8.

If there are hoards of books (or even dealers inventory that hasn't been searched through lately), its going to Bronze-Age books or newer.

Although these are great titles HOM, The Unexpected, Forbidden tales of Dark Mansion etc etc and although the followers of these books generally buy for love I still think there is a lot of speculation due to the fact that a lot of the covers were drawn by Kirby, Adams, Kubert etc and people see high grade copies of these books as blue chip investments.

I have been collecting proof covers of these issues and the prices just seem to be going up and up.

yes, i agree that there was a lot of great creators working in comics in the 70's, both writing & art, DC & marvel. There is a cover look that hard to define that is also really appealing on early 70's marvels. The picture frame cover has a lot to do with it, but there is a quality, just under the surface that is hard to pinpoint. Its different artists, Kane, Buscema, Romita, etc, so its not just an artists syle, it must have been the editorial direction. Just great covers.Modern marvel covers are boring shots of a character just standing there ( i do read some modern books, i am no just dissing everything that is new) You rarely see an action shot anymore. Maybe the marvel covers were so dynamic back then because they had to appear appealing next to a sea of DC neal adams covers..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I 100% agree re: Kane's dynamic covers, but I also think coloring is a part of it as well.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of it, most of it, is just purely Kane's skill, but I really do feel the color adds to it - the contrast between, say, the flat black background and say, the character's red costume is made stronger by the use of fewer colors, thus, the contrast between the dynamism of the character and the stability of the background is enhanced as well.

It's just easier to have a character "leaping off" the cover when set against a monochromatic background such as the "picture frame". Harder to do with today's digitally colored books unless you used that same limited palette on purpose.

thats a good point, the contrast is really strong. The thor picture frames used really odd coloring too, which sets those apart from most all other books. That steely green blue & orange come to mind. They set off from their own elements as well as other comics.

I think it is a little of both. Wizard has a recent article on Bronze books and how people from this period now have the income necessary to buy back their lost gems. Just ask Bronzebruce who is fast becoming the Bronze Age #1 collector. People say some of the stories from this period are not that good but I have tried reading some golden age comic stories and the stories are pretty corny by today's standard. When you read a book today that you first read when you were a child, it brings back special memories. This is why we need to get kids excited about comics.

I don't really want to be the old killjoy, been there done that scold. But most of you guys are Bronze Age kids. Its interesting to hear you go on rhapsodically praising the same comics we Silver Agers considered weak, watered down trash. AND, here you all are, trashing todays comics as junk compared to the good ol' Bronze stuff you grew up on.

Im not coming down on you...its just the same attitude all over again. Surprising how it all comes around.

I think the good comics today are far better than the good Bronze stuff. Course, theres still only one in 30 new comics worth reading...same as always....