• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL MYSTERY ANNUAL-TO SELL OR NOT TO SELL???

48 posts in this topic

all makes sense except why youd expect your framer to be know anything more than how much per foot to charge....

Youre right that in it present condition it cant be read safely. And I know this will sound like heresy: but, was it really bought to be read? or to have in ones collection? As I said earlier, can't the stories be read somewhere else? And How many times does the owner really want to read it? If the answer is once, then read it carefully and put it back. Any minor further damage can ALSO be fixed someday when he chooses to send it out.

I dont agree that you should restore a rare book just so it can be handled again.

I dont agree that rushing to restore in order to stave off further paper deterioration is necessary: A few more years wont hurt it. Its got 60 years under its belt...a few more deciding on the best course of action will be fine.

And I dont agree that "paper conservators" are as rare as you say...or that museum-trained or experienced restorers cant tackle comicbooks. Especially if it comes back in vogue again, there will enough around to handle the workload. And turn this argument around: if there are no more comic restorers, it's a result of the market turning its back on the process: another good reason to JUST SAY NO to restoration!

sorry to be so Adam Ant about this. (adamant)

all makes sense except why youd expect your framer to be know anything more than how much per foot to charge....

NO! A professional framer should be well versed in archival processes and the application of archival materials as related to framing. It is why I used this as an example. Yes, this is a knowledgeable profesional in their own right, but their lack of poster knowledge led them into a mistaken assumption. I submit that a paper conservator/restorer skilled in paper but not in comics may make similar mistaken assumptions.

I dont agree that rushing to restore in order to stave off further paper deterioration is necessary: A few more years wont hurt it. Its got 60 years under its belt

Yes, it DOES have 60 years under its belt ... look at it! Not the best of years. I agree - stored properly it should remain basically in this state (unless the paper is getting more and more acid in which case - the faster that is staved off the better.)

And I know this will sound like heresy: but, was it really bought to be read? or to have in ones collection?

Well, one thing to remember is we are each responding from our own gut. My gut about comics is they ARE to be read: even the likes of that one. I never liked reading reprints - they just don't FEEL the same and they aren't the same. And I WOULD take that book out ocassionally and read it and maybe give it a sniff or two and just enjoy the feel of it. I did that with my Action 1 and it was never the worse for wear.

The problem with your Babe Ruth analogy is that baseballs are basically baseballs: all are more or less the same with the exception of manufacturing processes changing over the years. But not all comic books are comic books. Each title/number is unique, with different artists, writers etc. This can't be said for the baseball. And playing catch with a baseball Ruth siged would feel the same as playing catch with any other baseball from that era. On the other hand, looking at this comic is going to feel different from looking at other comics from that era.

And turn this argument around: if there are no more comic restorers, it's a result of the market turning its back on the process: another good reason to JUST SAY NO to restoration!

Talk about self-fulfilling prophecies! But you know my position on restoration. It is not evil, and can be a very good thing.

oh just shut already and restore the damned thing -- yer givin me a headache!! 893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif

Jeeze - it was just starting to get interesting and you have to get a headache! Come ON! Argue back. Only through argument (friendly, hopefully) are ideas really examined. Man! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

If you enjoy the book and dont need the cash then keep the book and send it off to Tracey Heft for preventative measures. I myself would just have minimal work done to make the book somewhat more secure rather than setting out to improve its apparent grade. Is the paper itself brittle? If the paper is still somewhat supple just have the spine reinforced and have any significant tears sealed that can always be removed in the future or upgraded if better materials for restoration or better techniques are learned. Thanks for sharing the book with the board I've never seen one actually never heard of it I guess I havent got the guide memorised after all.

I have sent the book to Tracey Heft the pages are off-white a supple. The focus is the cover which needs to have it structural integrity conserved as well as it needs esthetic modifications.