• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL MYSTERY ANNUAL-TO SELL OR NOT TO SELL???

48 posts in this topic

I am torn whether to sell my Marvel Mystery Annual and need some feedback from the Forum. You all have seen my book recently on Ebay!! I have a firm offer of $6000 USD on the book and I am now torn between keeping this Variant edition (one of only 2 copies in existance) and having it restored to preserve the structural integrity of the book, OR selling it. What would you do???

I would sell it and get a book to put in my collection with the money

But if i had the book and decided to keep it i would not get it restored

But it is your decision

Is it CGC? If so what grade?

Which do you primarily collect? Golden or Silver age? If you're decidedly a SIlver age collector, take advantage of reaping the rewards of a huge offer on a super-low grade Golden age issue (rare as it is), and spend the proceeds on something you can relate to in the Silver age that you ordinarily would not be able to afford or not want to part with $6,000 for.

If you're primerily a Golden age collector, do not under any circumstances get rid of that Annual, if you have a passion for Timelys, this issue being the rarest of the Timelys.

The book is RAW and is unrestored in Fair Condition

I'd never sell it, as it's irreplaceable. You can earn another $6,000 bucks in this world, but you may never be able to own this book again. Think of all the Timely collectors who are missing this issue to complete their runs.

Also, I'd say get it restored. Cherry the damn thing out, and enjoy it. Make it so it'll last for years to come. I'd personally go with Tracey Heft on this one, as he is more into conservation, but this may be one to send off to Matt or Susan.

Don't rule out conservators who don't just specialize in comics. There are literally hundreds of paper/ephemera conservation "artists" who conserve artwork, graphics, books, posters, documents, sportscards, etc. whose knowledge and artistry far surpass the "usual suspects" (Heft, Wilson, etc.) but who are basically unknown names to the comic hobby.

Search the Internet under Paper restoration and related wording, and you'll be surprised at the results. Those that will handle comics, in most cases, will be happy to discuss particulars with you and perhaps send before and after images of examples of their artistry.

Well it really does depend on your collecting interests but man...if you have any GA interest I'd say keep it.

As far as restoration goes? The book is a prime candidate for it. Luckily the inks still look bright. If it is really professionally restored the book's structural integrity will be much sounder than it is now, and it should look great. I am willing to bet that a lot of high end collectors who buy it would have an eye to restoring it. Many of them come from the days when restoration was both acceptable and desireable on books in this condition. If you can at all afford to hold onto it, I'd say do so. I've gotten rid of books in the past I still kick myself over.

Oh - Supa - for as long as it lasts - here's a link:

Keep it and restore it!

Keep it. Dont restore it. If the day ever arrives when restoration is fully acceptable to everyone, get it done then. The book wont deteriorate in that time so much that restoration will be out of the question. Keep your options open. Im not a Timely collector and not all that familiar with the comic, but It seems that it is SO RARE that your copy is still a VERY collectable copy with so few in existence. You will always find a buyer fot it. Can you say that about all that many of your other comics???

Dump it. If a Good+ copy sold for $7,500, and someone is offering you $6,000 for a fair copy, sell it!

DUMP IT? Are you insane? We are talking about a Gerber 10? A book that no more than fewer copies exist than you have fingers? And from a major Timely run. And you say DUMP it? Man alive!