• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diamond Previews question...

6 posts in this topic

Doe sanyon eknow if any of the Diamon Previews have any value? Wasnt there an issue with the First appearance of Death or something lik ethat? Back in the 90s when the booklets were packed with bound in comics, trading cards etc etc? I seem to remember a few key issues with long range potential..

Any help would be appreciated before I toss em all! or file em away somewhere...

Actually, that same issue with Plasm #0 also has an orange-covered preview of Deathmate.

(Another good reason for laughter.) However, some Valiant collectors are completionists,

and the only way to get that orange preview was in Previews (June 1993, if I remember correctly).

It has sold for $5 - $10 on eBay... and up to $15 if you include shipping costs.

The comic is "bound into" the Previews, so ripping it out is a bad idea...

having the whole Previews intact is preferred.

I'm looking for Previews - August 1996, which included a bound-in Valiant Heroes preview edition.

Actually, that same issue with Plasm #0 also has an orange-covered preview of Deathmate.

I didn't realize that. I'll have to check it out.

Sorry for changing the subject, but I'd like to ask Valiantman if he and other Valiant fans followed Jim Shooter when he founded Defiant, after he left Valiant. I did, because of the great work he did at Valiant. I've wondered if Defiant went under due to the comics themselves, or because of the comic industry crash of the mid-ninties.

I didn't realize that. I'll have to check it out.

Sorry for changing the subject, but I'd like to ask Valiantman if he and other Valiant fans followed Jim Shooter when he founded Defiant, after he left Valiant. I did, because of the great work he did at Valiant. I've wondered if Defiant went under due to the comics themselves, or because of the comic industry crash of the mid-ninties.

Defiant probably "went under" due to the costs involved with fighting Marvel in the courts

over the "Plasm vs. Plasmer" debate. I picked up Defiant books when they came out,

but I couldn't really get into them... Plasm (that is, "Warriors of Plasm") was a little too "abstract"

for me to follow, and my allowance was limited. grin.gif

There are a few "Valiant guys" who have "Jim Shooter collections" starting with Valiant, moving to Defiant, and ending with Broadway Comics.

Shooter was 3 for 3, before Defiant, with arguably a double (Legion), a triple (Copper Marvel) and a Grand Slam Home Run at Valiant under his belt. I also followed him to Defiant, but whatever magic coalesced around him and Massorsky at Valiant had just dissapated. Defiant was a lot like the 70s Atlas books that broke away from Marvel. A big idea (even grander plans at Defiant coming on the heels of shocking the world at Valiant) but the wrong time and the wrong place. The moment had passed and momentum in the industry was flagging bringing everyone down.

Difference IMO between Valiant and Defiant was at Valiant it was "Hey lets do things in a NEW way, lets make exciting comics we all havent read 100 times before." And at Defiant it was more like "Hey lets do what we did at Valiant, only more better!!"