• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subscription crease effect on grades: PGM Spiderman 45 & 52

11 posts in this topic

I am getting ready to sell some Silver Age "Amazing Spider-Man" books. Each would otherwise grade in the fine range, but have a subscription crease. How much would the crease downgrade the overall grade? I've heard some say that no book with a subscription crease can grade better than VG.

If I can, I will link the best looking one, ASM 45, and the worst looking one, ASM 52. (unfortunately my HP scanning skills are rusty).

I'd appreciate any comments pertinent to subscription crease and grading. Thanks, JB

A general rule of thumb is that subscription crease books grade an automatic 4.5 tops . . . I believe CGC holds to this theorem based on what I have seen. (cue: haters) Personally, I think this is incorrect. I think that sub-creases should be treated differently than other book-length creases, and that each book and crease still needs to be evaluated individually.

An otherwise VF/NM book with a clean sub-crease does not deserve to have its grade cut in half. sumo.gif I could live with a 6.0 ceiling, but I have seen pristine sub-crease books that I'd rather have in my collection over many a 7.0/7.5 any day of the freakin' week. sumo.gifsumo.gif

As to your examples, 6.0 books with sub-creases should grade at or below the theoretical 4.5 ceiling . . . tongue.gif

It's 5.5.....not 4.5 gossip.gif

And that depends on whether it breaks color. If it doesn't, then it can go a bit higher. Of course, it can also be pressed out. devil.gifpoke2.gif

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I will just consider these books to range from 4.0 for the worse ones, to 5.5 for the better ones. When I get images, I'll post them in the "sell" section as well as here.

JB

And that depends on whether it breaks color. If it doesn't, then it can go a bit higher. Of course, it can also be pressed out. devil.gifpoke2.gif

Pressed books are sooo last year. Unpressed pressables are the shiznit. smirk.gif

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I will just consider these books to range from 4.0 for the worse ones, to 5.5 for the better ones. When I get images, I'll post them in the "sell" section as well as here.

JB

gossip.gif fyi, there's no way an otherwise 6.0 book gets only a .5 hit for a sub-crease . . . regardless of what the comments of my esteemed colleagues implied wink.gif

They all break color dork makepoint.gif

Pressing?!? That's for FOOLS! sumo.gif

stooges.gif