• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Was Your First Piece of OA

27 posts in this topic

-- and why did you pick that particular piece of original comic art?

I started collecting in 1994. I'd received a comic art catalog from Scott Eder -- "The Art of Comics" -- and realized that not only did original comic artwork actually exist...but that people like me could buy it!

I loved the idea of having a piece of OA but wasn't yet willing to embrace my inner geek. (Inner geek is now fully embraced.) So I didn't buy any original artwork for myself. Instead, I spent $50 on a terrific Buscema/Chan CONAN THE BARBARIAN half-splash for my wife. It was an anniversary present.

My wife loved the Buscema/Chan Conan series at the time. Still does, in a what-a-fond-memory kind of way. And she loved the artwork, too. It remains the only piece of original comic artwork that she owns.

But it was the start of my addiction.

"Regrets? I've had a few...."

My first piece was a Dark Knight Return page by Miller. Book 3, page 31, Bats and Robin find Selena hogtied and dressed as WonderWoman. Sold it back in 1990 to help fund my education. Will pay STOOPID MONEY for the opportunity to get the page back. Been looking for about five years and no luck.

It's hard to be certain, but the first piece I remember buying was a Heath war splash page from the Donnelly brothers who quoted a price I was willing to pay. Not been able to repeat that experience with them in the 18 years since then. 27_laughing.gif

My first piece of OA was ASM #317 Page 20 Spidey Vs Venom panel page by Mcfarlane...I bought it on eBay cause I wanted some original Mcfarlane art and since I wasn't 14 anymore,I could actually buy his stuff.I sold it a few years ago to Matt Ellis for what was then stupid money for a panel page.After getting into OA a few years later as a hobby,I made him find me another Mcfarlane...lol.

Kinda strange, but I was about ten and was in an antique mall with my mom. For some reason, that I still can't understand, they had a small stack of OA. Looking back, I wish I'd bought them all cause they were $15 each and it was mostly Marvel and DC, but then again I was only 10 . I chose a Sal Buscema Hulk splash page #280 I believe. Amazing when I think about it now..I traded it last year towards a Kirby splash.

My first piece of OA was a Mike Deodato DPS from Elektra #14. Some guy offered to buy it from me, but I refused, because I love the piece and it holds some extra meaning being the one that started my collection. He has, however, been a little insistent (see the comments in my CAF gallery): foreheadslap.gif

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece...at=0&UCat=0

In the early 90's I bought a George Perez page from New Teen titans #4(?) with the JLA members in each panel with their respective Teen Titan counterpart(Batman/Nightwing, Wonder Woman/Wonder Girl, etc.). It was also the 1st piece of art I sold on ebay(2001). Funded some home renovations, but would love to be able to hang it on my office wall now!

I always wanted a page of original art since I saw one in a comic shop when I was about 13 years old. 20 years passed and I forgot all about it. I finally decided I wanted one of Superman for my birthday and my mother in law bought me this a couple years ago: http://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.com/2x32kt

I haven't stopped buying more since then though and I really only wanted one page to have as a neat one of a kind item to display on the wall.

I had seen original art at the Chicago ComicCon but never bought any (I still remember seeing a Kirby/Sinnott FF splash -- though I don't remember which number) for sale for $800 and not having enough money to buy it....

My first OA purchase was two John Romita Jr. Iron Man pages in either 1990 or 1991, I believe. He was living in Iowa City at the time just a few blocks down the street from me. I met him when he was doing a signing for some local shop. I went to his house to do a mock interview for a journalism class and he showed me a closet full of original art (stacks mostly from Daredevil and Iron Man). I would have liked to have bought the whol stack but I was a poor grad student. I picked up two from Iron Man because I really, really like John's work on Iron Man, and I still have them -- they are framed and hanging on the wall of my office. cloud9.gif

Here's one of them. They're both in my CAF gallery.

Iron Man 266 Splash

IM266splash.jpg

My first ever piece of art was a William Messner Loebs drawing of Wolverine McAllistair from Loebs' great comic series, Journey.

I've still got it in my collection.

I didn't understand the difference between pencilled and inked, so I asked for pencilled only. When I got it, I was confused as to why it wasn't finished. Hmmm... maybe he didn't have time to finish it? Maybe he didn't want to finish it?

Why, of why is it undone?

Then, a few years later, I realized the inker lays down the blacks over the pencils.

But, it's a piece I hold dear to my heart, since it was bought at the first comic show I attended in 1987 and it was my first.

Mike B.

I think the cover to X-men 203 was my first piece. Can't remember why I bought it but sure am glad I did.

hi.gif Good to see you at WonderCon! Did you pick anything up on Sunday?

No, nothing. But I did get a Schwinn mini Twinn Tandem bike the day after the dinner. Its not a comic but its vintage and pretty damn cool.

It was really good to meet you and hear your stories.

My first piece was a Batman Adventures page drawn by Ty Templeton. Not a super well-known guy, but I felt he did a super job on that series, among many others.

Andy

I bought my first piece of original art in 79 or 80 from Terry Austin. It was a Byrne X-Men page but I don't recall what issue it was from. He had five X-Men covers that he was selling for $200 each and a stack of panel pages for $70 a pop. He advised me that the covers were already sold. Before I left the convention I sold the panel page for $95 and thought I had done pretty well (instant profit). Oh how I wish I had held onto that page. frown.gif