• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd Annual Favorite GA Covers Contest

88 posts in this topic

Hi all, 'tis about time we run the Second Annual Contest to determine what covers this nutty bunch we have on the boards like the best!

Let me lay out the process for every one.

The "Contest" takes place over 2 periods:

First, we (Norinn Radd and myself) will accept nominations of covers to be on the ballot in time for the voting period. We will run the nomination period from now until Wednesday March 21st. Anyone can nominate covers. The Contest is split across 2 categories: Super-Hero and Non-Super-Hero.

Each individual can nominate up to 5 covers in each category. You only need to name the cover: Title and Issue Number, we will do the leg work and find the best scan of the book we can. You can help us if you do post a scan when you put up your nomination list. We will start a Repository Thread for each category. We are the only ones who will post there. Post your nominations in THIS here thread.

All books have to be Pre-Code to qualify. In the event you don't know if the book should go into the Super-Hero or Non-Super-Hero category, don't fret, Norinn and I will be the only ones making the final category decision for those ambiguous books.

Second, once all the nominations are received, we will run the voting period. Anyone can vote: people who nominated books and people who didn't. You are to vote for your Top 10 covers in each category. Norinn and I will independently tally the scores to double-check our tabulation errors. The cover you rank # 1 will receive 10 points, # 2 9 points, ... The winning cover is the cover that receives the most points. In case of 2 covers ending with the same total scores, ties are going to be broken up according to the average score the cover received from those who voted for it in order to gauge the wide-spread popularity of the cover. The voting period will run from the end of nomination until April 8th.

Note: you don't have to vote for all the covers you nominated or any of them for that matter.

The results will be revealed over the April 14th/15th weekend. It'll take us a while to tally and check the scores and to solicit again write-ups from voters about the winning covers.

Thanks all. I'll get us started with my nominations.

Scrooge and Norinn Radd

Here are my 5 Super-Hero nominations:

Astonishing # 3

Catman # 31

Doll Man # 5

Master # 30

Superman # 14

and my 5 Non-Super-Hero nominations. This is always the harder category for me to decide on. Let's hope someone nominates a good Cole crime cover for which I didn't have room left in my list. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Fairy Tale Parade # 5

Famous Funnies # 214

Thrilling # 63

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories v. 4 # 4

World War III # 1

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I was hoping that there would be another contest this year. I've discovered a number of great covers that I had never seen before in the past year, thanks to this forum and you guys. thumbsup2.gif

Here's a suggestion though - why not make the top ten books from last year automatically nominated. That way no one has to waste one of their nomination spots on books like Suspense 3 and Tec 31. Just a thought. confused-smiley-013.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I was hoping that there would be another contest this year. I've discovered a number of great covers that I had never seen before in the past year, thanks to this forum and you guys. thumbsup2.gif

Here's a suggestion though - why not make the top ten books from last year automatically nominated. That way no one has to waste one of their nomination spots on books like Suspense 3 and Tec 31. Just a thought. confused-smiley-013.gif

Suggestion heard and rejected sumo.gif If you like the book, it's not wasted! tongue.gif Seriously, I would rather we start over from scratch since we've had many new people join (and between you and I gossip.gif I will not willingly put Action # 1 on the ballot unless some one puts it there mad.gif)

so,.. just to be clear, once a book has been nominated by someone, it's automatically on the ballot for voting ? for example you said Supes #14, so If that book was going to be one of my choices, I should nominate something else, because it's already on there ?

correct ?

so,.. just to be clear, once a book has been nominated by someone, it's automatically on the ballot for voting ? for example you said Supes #14, so If that book was going to be one of my choices, I should nominate something else, because it's already on there ?

correct ?

You got it! You are now free to put a different book and don't need to re-nominate Supes # 14. thumbsup2.gif

Superhero-

Superman #17

Superman #24

Batman #9

Human Torch #12

Action #1

Non-Superhero

Startling Comics #49

Wonder Comics #17

Rocket to the Moon #1

Weird Comics #1

You can help us if you do post a scan when you put up your nomination list.

All right. Superhero covers:

Whiz #18:

whiz18.jpg

Silver Streak #14:

silverstreak14.jpg

Mystery Men #10:

mysterymen10.jpg

Blue Ribbon Comics #7:

blueribbon7.jpg

Amazing-Man #22:

amazing-man22.jpg

Non-hero coming later.

Why the left-facing swastika? The book was published before the US entered WW II. I'd believe that the publishers were avoiding reference to Nazi Germany if the word Nazi didn't appear on the cover!

Simply an error?

Jack

Silver Streak #14:

silverstreak14.jpg

Non-hero coming later.

Suggestion heard and rejected sumo.gif If you like the book, it's not wasted! tongue.gif Seriously, I would rather we start over from scratch since we've had many new people join (and between you and I gossip.gif I will not willingly put Action # 1 on the ballot unless some one puts it there mad.gif)

Excellent point! thumbsup2.gif

Now Action #2, OTH... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Super Hero:

Batman #11

Fantastic Comics #3

Ghost Rider #4

More Fun Comics #54

Superman #24

Non Super Hero:

Blue Bolt Weird Tales #115

Ghost Comics #2

More Fun Comics #35