• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Single Staple WWII era books

3 posts in this topic

I've learned enough about WWII to realize we (USA) was going to win in late 1944. Without getting long winded about the war, let's just say that rationing restrictions were lessoned, and the single staple books became double stapled once again.

For MLJ Publications: According to everything I've seen and own, the books switched to a single staple in late 1942, and switched back in the Fall of 1944.

Examples of this:

Pep Comics #34, 12/42 - Dual Staples

Pep Comics #35, 01/43 - Single Staple

- through -

Pep Comics #49, 07/44 - Single Staple

Pep Comics #50, 09/44 - Dual Staples

Top-Notch #31, 12/42 - Dual Staples

Top-Notch #32, 01/43 - Single Staple

- through -

Top-Notch #46, Summer 1994 -Single Staple

Top-Notch #47, Fall 1994 -Dual Staples

Now, here's where I get confused:

Concerning Archie Comics #1.....

I've seen most copies with a single staple, yet I've heard someone say they've seen them with dual staples. It was a Winter 1942/43 book, so that's right around the 'switch' so to speak.

Then, auctions like this come along.

Hangman Comics #2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2185276842&category=68&rd=1

This book has ONE Staple?????? I have a Hangman #3 printed 3 months later in the summer of '42, that is for sure a dual staple book. What the?

Anyway, this is based on MLJ.... Please fill in any dates/history you know off the top of your head for the other major publishers, and when they started the single staple production and ended it.

Thanks guys...!

i have a copy of top spot #1 featuring the duke of darkness and it has a single middle staple too. it was a one shot and a really cool cover ill put a scan up soon but i never knew why some golden age comics had one staple and others had 2 but now i do .also i love the old covers that have the superheroes imploring readers to buy war stamps and bonds, truly classic and historically important too.

Concerning Archie Comics #1.....

I've seen most copies with a single staple, yet I've heard someone say they've seen them with dual staples. It was a Winter 1942/43 book, so that's right around the 'switch' so to speak.

Then, auctions like this come along.

Hangman Comics #2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2185276842&category=68&rd=1

This book has ONE Staple?????? I have a Hangman #3 printed 3 months later in the summer of '42, that is for sure a dual staple book. What the?

confused-smiley-013.gifPrinting errors?