• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Marvel House Ads Production Art

10 posts in this topic

I've gotten hooked on Marvel house ad art. If anyone has in-house ad art that they'd be willing to sell or knows the whereabouts of any for sale, please shoot me a PM.

I realize much (or all) of these pieces is usually stats -- it's more of the Stan Lee hyperbole and nostalgic qualities that attract me to the pieces.

Thanks!

Steve

headbang.gif

I already sold this key Hulk 181 stat to a loyal board member who will likely be buried with it.

hulk181a.jpg

That piece shows why a person should think twice before looking down on production art. Here's a few more examples of why production art can be eminently collectible.

Here's a piece that dates from 1940 and contains the first printed appearance of a bald lex luthor -- and which was sent to Joe Shuster's office for his approval.

Supermandailyproof1stbaldLuthor1940.jpg

here's a piece that dates from 1961 when it was made from the original art page for FF1. The original art isn't known to exist,and every printed comic or reprint is a copy of a copy.

FantasticFour1page7productionstat19.jpg

Here's an early house ad stat from1963 with a very early X-men cover.

X-Men2stat.jpg

And here's an example of how stats and original art were sometimes mixed in pin-ups and house ads. In this case an ad for the MMMs club dated 1964.

AmazingSpider-man25MMMSad1964.jpg

Thanks for sharing these.... great stuff!

You're welcome. Found some more but some are too large for my scanner. I need to get one of those 11 X 17 scanners? (do they make 'em any larger than that?)

Anyway,. here's one that could be scanned.

AdpageprodartASM50FF64.jpg

Thanks for sharing these.... great stuff!

You're welcome. Found some more but some are too large for my scanner. I need to get one of those 11 X 17 scanners? (do they make 'em any larger than that?)

Anyway,. here's one that could be scanned.

AdpageprodartASM50FF64.jpg

Sooo, since you're posting this in my WTB thread, are you selling it????893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Man, I love that MMMS ad with Spidey!! headbang.gif

Here's the piece I own that got me started on this stuff: the Hulk image is redrawn from the Hulk/Dr. Banner image on the cover of Hulk #1. This piece is not for sale, but this is the type of in-house ad art i would very much like to buy. If you have any, or know someone who does who might be selling, please send me a PM or have them contact me. I promise to send good karma your way!!!

0144.jpg