• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- Wet Cleaning a badly stained print.

12 posts in this topic

This was a very old print I found in my fathers basement.

Photos tell the story. Was interesting to see what came out and what was burnt into the paper.

I will post more photos once I repair the tears and re-attach the top chunk if anyone wants to see the end result.

oldpaintingbeforewascover.jpgoldpaintingbackbefore.jpg

oldprintfrontafterwash.jpgoldprintafterclean.jpg

Thnx Professor Oobvious poke2.gif

It went through 2 types of aqueous and 1 solvent bath to get it to this state. I didn't want to risk more then that at this point.. it got to a point where it was not efective anymore and I did not want the inks to start bleeding so I pulled the plug.

I have not researched what the print is yet, the date on it is 1738. Not sure if that was when it was printed, or when the original was. It is very brittle and I am just happy at this point the smell is gone and the majority of the staining was removed.

It looks better in person, as most things do.

Makes me wonder where my dad got it, family heirloom, or a local garage sale?

Ze-

Thnx Professor Oobvious poke2.gif

It went through 2 types of aqueous and 1 solvent bath to get it to this state. I didn't want to risk more then that at this point.. it got to a point where it was not efective anymore and I did not want the inks to start bleeding so I pulled the plug.

I have not researched what the print is yet, the date on it is 1738. Not sure if that was when it was printed, or when the original was. It is very brittle and I am just happy at this point the smell is gone and the majority of the staining was removed.

It looks better in person, as most things do.

Makes me wonder where my dad got it, family heirloom, or a local garage sale?

Ze-

Professor Obvious says,

If the paper (as opposed to the original artwork) dates to 1738, which it probably doesn't, then the paper is most likely cotton rag and certain bleaching alternatives open up that you probably couldn't do with groundwood pulp paper.

But you already knew that. makepoint.gifpoke2.gif

flowerred.gifcloud9.gif

And I can't tell from thousands of miles away, but it might be groundwood pulp paper anyway so be careful before you it up. 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

It has a watermark on the back that says "Office Depot"

How old would that make it?

insane.gif

It is a different beast to be sure, but it appears to be pulp. I called around as to what to do, or rather not do when cleaning it. We also have a local antique bookshop in town with an older gentleman that was quite learned, and very helpful.

LLC

closeupllc.jpg

Middle

closeupmiddle.jpg

LRC

closeupllrc.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

My Mother once told me it was a portrait of a man who's pen name was supposedly(falsely) one Will Shakespeare.

I just remembered that now as I was looking at the portrait.

Ze-

The print itself is flat, cept for the bordering imprint round the outside which is visible.

Ze-

I might add the depth, quality, detail of the printing is spooky. I have never seen a print like this in hand before.