• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The comic collector Community

22 posts in this topic

Just finished with Shields post concerning that scamming 893censored-thumb.gif selling off those reprints on Ebay. Got me thinking as to how glad I am to be back in the hobby for about a year now and especially glad to have found these boards.

Whether its what I like to call the Ebay &*(*&^hole Protection Police (EAPP) crazy.gif who point out scams on Ebay.

- Valiantman's CGC census compilation search engine

- price variant discussion/education via - donut, darth etc

- free grading advice, er decimation of your prospective CGC submission tongue.gif

- Lighthouse and others helping me out with finding a comic shop in Monterey (I move September 10th grin.gif)

- Polls on fav, artists, writers trends and diamond in the rough books

- To just about every other topic imaginable.

These boards and the people who frequent them have gone beyond extending the information base to recreating something that was a focal point of my early comic collecting days. The camaraderie of the other people who collected comics. From going to the comic store with your paper route $$$ to taliking about the storylines to ooh and aah over a friend paying $10 for a back issue. Thats an element that kinda got lost in the shuffle after about 15ish for various reasons. Glad that the advent of the net and BBS services like this can maintain it again. If nothing else I got to meet ninanina aka Herb and hold a copy of FF #1 in my hands cloud9.gif

Jbud - what a great post!!! I agree - these boards and this community has really become a serious part of my daily routine and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you ever get the chance, make sure to hit up a forum dinner or go to a local con with area board members. It's a lot of fun!! I've been lucky enough to meet in person over a dozen board members and they are all solid guys.

If anybody is in town for the next NYC con, please look me up!

DAM

Dam? You live in NYC? Have you been to "Sleep of Reason" (the comic shop in/around Greenwich Village)?

I live a few blocks away from Sleep of Reason...it's my regular shop, although they are small and I often have to go to a second shop each week to get all the titles I want. They seem to be ordering fewer titles & copies all the time in an effort to conserve working capital...I fear for their longevity... frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Gene

Dam? You live in NYC? Have you been to "Sleep of Reason" (the comic shop in/around Greenwich Village)?

I love the Time Machine - 14th off of 7th Ave. Roger the owner is absolutely the man who runs a store that's fun to hang out in!! Great place, although NYC has a bunch of nice shops, although "Sleep of Reason" is one I missed (not that it's not a nice shop, just I haven't been there).

DAM

what are your thoughts about jim hanley's.

There selection is unreal - very clean, well lit, no real back issues, but a lot of comic paraphanelia ie tee shirts, busts, etc.

Hanley's and Midtown are the 2 most well known shops in the city and with good reason.

DAM

I live a few blocks away from Sleep of Reason...it's my regular shop, although they are small and I often have to go to a second shop each week to get all the titles I want. They seem to be ordering fewer titles & copies all the time in an effort to conserve working capital...I fear for their longevity... frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Gene

It's a very cool little shop (but my GOD could he get some air conditioning?!?!?)... but I can see how getting **every** book you want would be a problem. And what was up with his back issues?? I cringed when I saw that he puts them in those little plastic frames!

I really, REALLY liked Midtown comics! The way they keep the GNs with the back issues is so... simple and brilliant. lol

Dam, I can't believe it, but I MISSED that shop! Unfortunately, my hotel didn't have a yellow pages in the room so I was gathering info where I could. Basically, I hit Sleep of Reason and Midtown and one other one that I cannot remember right now...

I've gotta say, the weird thing was being in a store on a Monday and actually seeing a LOT of other people there. lol

These boards and the people who frequent them have gone beyond extending the information base to recreating something that was a focal point of my early comic collecting days. The camaraderie of the other people who collected comics.

This sums up for the boards for me too. Its great to have a place to regularly talk comics with others who have a geniune interest. Its not as much fun collecting in a vacuum. grin.gif

Great post. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Dam, I can't believe it, but I MISSED that shop! Unfortunately, my hotel didn't have a yellow pages in the room so I was gathering info where I could. Basically, I hit Sleep of Reason and Midtown and one other one that I cannot remember right now...

I've gotta say, the weird thing was being in a store on a Monday and actually seeing a LOT of other people there. lol

There's a lot of shops in the city - hard to hit them all unless you know what you are looking for smirk.gif

I tell you, my best NYC comic experience ever was almost exactly a year ago when Frank Miller came to a signing of DKSA at Midtown comics. The line stretched literally an avenue deep and the guys at the store told me that people started lining up at noon. I got his autograph and got to talk to him and Klaus Janson. It was truly amazing. That's the best part about NYC - you have a lot of store appearances at Hanley's and Midtown.

DAM

It's a very cool little shop (but my GOD could he get some air conditioning?!?!?)

Dude, I nearly passed out when I was there on Saturday (one of the most humid days in memory)...as it was, I left totally drenched in sweat. insane.gif

... but I can see how getting **every** book you want would be a problem.

They only order 1 to 4 copies of each CrossGen title, only about 5 copies of Y: The Last Man...they didn't order any Dark Days or CSI and only 5 copies of Trouble #1...you're really screwed if you don't get there fast. 893frustrated.gif I now work right next to Cosmic Comics, so I'll pick up everything but the top-selling Marvel titles before heading to Sleep of Reason on my way home on Wednesday night. I could get by without them altogether, except I'm tight with the guys who work there and hope to do my bit to keep them in business. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

And what was up with his back issues?? I cringed when I saw that he puts them in those little plastic frames!

Definitely not the place to go if you want high grade books, though they often have a lot of interesting low-to-mid grade Golden and Silver Age books for sale. I noticed in my heat-induced haze on Saturday that they have a Superman #6 and #9 on sale now, for example.

- Gene

Oh man, I was there on Thursday! Not that I would have known you if I had seen you, but still, that would make for a ... well, it would make for something, anyway.

Maybe we should take up a "Buy Sleep an AC Unit" collection? I figure if it stays that hot in there for much longer, the books will just spontaneously combust.

Oh, and there's a shoe store a couple doors down that's having an "Everything Must Go" sale right now? Those guys are SO nice it's disgusting. wink.gif By far, that was one of the best neighborhoods I visited while there in NY. Well, except for the guy who asked me for a handout and when I told him I didn't have any cash (I really didn't), he screamed "I DIDN'T WANT YO' MONEY ANYWAY!" And then he stumbled off ranting incoherently...

Oh man, I was there on Thursday! Not that I would have known you if I had seen you, but still, that would make for a ... well, it would make for something, anyway.

Hmmm...me and the "Sleep" boys would have had to taken you out back and given you "a real New York welcome"!! [insert comic book fight scene sound effects here] "And this one's for that "Balki, the insufficiently_thoughtful_person man-child" crack! Wap!! Bam!! Pow!!" 27_laughing.gifinsane.gifgrin.gif

By far, that was one of the best neighborhoods I visited while there in NY.

Oh yeah, I've been in the West Village for 10 years now...most of my friends & banking colleagues live on the crusty Upper East Side, the yuppie scum-infested Upper West Side or in the 'burbs...me, I've always wondered, "Is there intelligent life above 14th Street"??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene

These boards and the people who frequent them have gone beyond extending the information base to recreating something that was a focal point of my early comic collecting days

I find this forum filled with extremely intelligent and very very knowledgable people that I've learned a great deal from. I think I'm only scratching the surface and have a long ways to go. Most informative all the time.

These boards and the people who frequent them have gone beyond extending the information base to recreating something that was a focal point of my early comic collecting days

I find this forum filled with extremely intelligent and very very knowledgable people that I've learned a great deal from. I think I'm only scratching the surface and have a long ways to go. Most informative all the time.

Inteligent HERE????

Where?