• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Help - ???

8 posts in this topic

How much does a little bend in the corner of a comic deduct from the over all grade of the comic? I recently purchased an entire lot of Ultimate Spider-man comics from issues 49 thru 105 and they were damaged in the mail. Most of the damage was slight bends in the corners of the books. I have included a sample scan to show what I am referring to. Does this make the comic entirely worthless? Could it still be a 9.0 with the bend?

Check out the upper right hand corner of the comic....

I realize modern comics aren't worth much anyway but I thought this would be a good way to help me with learning how to grade a comic. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

scan0005.jpg

They are tough on moderns with corners like that. I would guess you might have a shot at a 9.0 but more than likely an 8.5.

They are tough on moderns with corners like that. I would guess you might have a shot at a 9.0 but more than likely an 8.5.

Well so much for my great deal on an Ultimate Spider-man set. I didn't realize how good this Spider-man comic series is until I read one. Guess I will have to start replacing them one by one until they are all NM again?

If its the fault of poor packing - contact the seller. Too bad about the damage since they look pretty nice except for the corner ding!!

Thanks for that... makes me feel much better. Maybe most of the comics are going to be salvagable after all. It really hurt my feelings when these got damaged. This is a really good comic series of Spider-man and I almost have the complete run. I scored the first 6 today off eBay (they are extremely hard to get unless you want to pay a few hundred dollars) and are still wrapped. I amm only missing issues 12-20 roughly and I am working on those. Won't be as hard to get as 1 thru 10 was.

Turns out I still have a nice set of comics. I put new bags and boards on them and there are just a few with any real noticeable damaged. I will try to replace the few as I go along. Wow what a difference new bags and boards make!! Especially when they are the right size bags and boards for the comics.