• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The First Black Hero in Comics -- 1939

10 posts in this topic

I finally got these out of storage long enough to scan the issues 1-4 of Best Comics from 1939.

This was the first attempt at a black hero in comics, published in 1939 about the same time as Marvel comics #1.

Marvel, of course, would be the first to debut the first black hero that actually succeeded with readers -- 27 years later in 1996 (the Black Panther in Fantastic Four #52.

You may notice that the "Red Mask" is only blacik skinned on the first issue. He is black in the interior of all the issues, but the publsher (Better publications) changed him to a white skinned hero for issues 2-4.

All of these issues are scarce to rare. Two of them rate a 7 scarcity level and tthe other two rate an 8 on the Gerber scale. That means they estimate no more than 20 copies of two issues and no more than 50 of the others. Which means that, all the existing copies from all issues in the entire run would be less than 200 copies and the whole run barely rates a 6 level scarcity.

Enjoy

BestComics1.jpg

BestComics2.jpg

BestComics3.jpg

BestComics4.jpg

I've wondered about this title since first seeing the cover of #1 in the Gerber. Is the character merely colored as "black" or is it clear in the writing that he is not "white".

I know the late 40s Fox jungle books clouded race identification. While the title characters were clearly "white", the female members of the African villages were often dark haired and pale skinned - but shown to have "black" relatives - including Tana, Jo-Jo's love interest.

I've wondered about this title since first seeing the cover of #1 in the Gerber. Is the character merely colored as "black" or is it clear in the writing that he is not "white".

I know the late 40s Fox jungle books clouded race identification. While the title characters were clearly "white", the female members of the African villages were often dark haired and pale skinned - but shown to have "black" relatives - including Tana, Jo-Jo's love interest.

It is clear in the writing that he is not white. And in the story his main nemesis is a "white man with a black heart" against whom he fights for the love of a white woman.

So far ahead of its time it's a wonder it made it into print in 1939.

It also happens to be the first issue of the publisher, Better publications. And it is a rarity in that it is published sideways, with a perfect bound spine.

Those are really cool Bob! Matt N. had 1 and 4 with him at my house a few weeks ago, they were the Mile High copies. Very nice!

Was the Mile High the one at Heritage last year? That was the one previously owned by John McLaughlin (?)

I tried to get that one but for some reason the bid I placed (which was higher than it went for) didn't go through. Bids on other items did, but not that one. Whomever got it, I hope they appreciate it for what it is.

Those are really cool Bob! Matt N. had 1 and 4 with him at my house a few weeks ago, they were the Mile High copies. Very nice!

Was the Mile High the one at Heritage last year? That was the one previously owned by John McLaughlin (?)

I tried to get that one but for some reason the bid I placed (which was higher than it went for) didn't go through. Bids on other items did, but not that one. Whomever got it, I hope they appreciate it for what it is.

I would say yes Bob. I believe Matt still has them, and they are for sale if you want to contact him.

It is clear in the writing that he is not white. And in the story his main nemesis is a "white man with a black heart" against whom he fights for the love of a white woman.

So far ahead of its time it's a wonder it made it into print in 1939.

It also happens to be the first issue of the publisher, Better publications. And it is a rarity in that it is published sideways, with a perfect bound spine.

That is amazing - I'm surprised more has not been made of this issue. Very cool! Thanks for sharing it. thumbsup2.gif

Here's a scan of first page from a ratty coverless copy Best # 3 -- showing that he's still black-skinned inside though he's white on the cover

somebody wrote 1936 on the first page. These were published in 1939, but there is a 1936 date on some of the strips. Not sure why. .

BestComics3Ccoverless.jpg

Looks like it was designed as a weekly comic strip - which explains the odd format. I suppose after 3 years of trying to peddle it to the syndicates, George West must have sold it to Better Publications.