• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does your artwork portray INTENSE Battles?

43 posts in this topic

David, yeah, that's good stuff. There are so many classic story arcs in the FF title. The Doom/Surfer arc in 57 - 60 is just incredible stuff. cloud9.gif

I have always thought Colletta was better than people gave him credit for and I agree completely that there were surely deadline issues and other pressure that led to his rep -- but i also have heard he used to brag about how quickly he could ink the pages. So maybe it was just quantity being more important than quality at the time? confused-smiley-013.gif

In any case, I liked a lot of Vince's work on Thor too.

--Steve

Rhino,

My favorite FF storyline would be #'s 57-60, the cosmic Doom story.

Interesting note on the missing Reed that Vinnie didn't ink. I've heard this was a bit too common with Colletta. This has been a negative reflection on his work, and I've wondered if tight deadlines or other conditions played a part in this. The guy was a pretty big part in Marvels early years and it's a shame his legacy is sometimes distilled to "Vinnie's eraser". It would be interesting to know the situation first-hand and whether this was always a case of laziness.

I don't remember a Marvel book ever missing a month, or being a fill-in issue, untill the late sixties after their number of titles expanded. In those early years books seemed to be on schedule no matter what.

Oh yeah, a really GREAT Captain America TOS page as well !!

-David