• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Amazing Spider-Man #86 worth in CGC 9.8 White?

55 posts in this topic

Not to derail Scotts thread but I dont fly economy to Greece gossip.gif

That's ok.. it's a spam thread anyways.. Scott knows where the FS threads are poke2.gif

This isn't a for sale thread. I was trying to solicit information from silver age collectors on what the value is for this book, since there are no prior sales of this book in this grade. ASM#86 is kind of a weird animal, in that it is maybe the toughest late silver age ASM to find in ultra high grade (meaning 9.4 or better). I've gotten some interesting feedback on what the value is thus far -- anywhere from $4,000 (from you) to $10,000 (from Dr. Neff screwy.gif ).

Methinks Scott won't be consigning this or any other book to Pedigree.

Congrats, Scott, on a great score for your discerning eye! acclaim.gif

Thanks, Bob, but it was blind luck. I told this story before -- I got the book from a comic dealer on ebay who was selling a collection for the wife of his good collecting buddy who had passed away. He refused to grade any of his books higher than 9.2 because that was the top value in the Overstreet price guide. The #86 looked SWEEEEET in the scan, but you know how that goes. So I bid like a mad fool on it and a few other books, and sent an email asking what else he had. He had a ton of ASMs from the 60s through about the early bronze age (I think I also got my sweet #122 from the guy, but I'm not sure), plus a ton of FFs in the same general timeframe (late 1960s-early 1970s). I made him an offer for everything he had at 10% off of 9.2 Overstreet. He wanted full guide, and I held off because I wasn't sure what his grading was like.

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

I won several of the books in his first round of auctions, and by the time I got the books (and nearly myself when I saw the #86 in hand, and the others were all 9.4-9.6 raw by my estimation, with mostly WHITE WHITE pages), the other people who won his other auctions got their books too and realized that he was wayyyyy undergrading all of the 9.2s. The next wave of auctions was like a feeding frenzy of bidding and his stuff was going for multiples of guide. I should have just paid him full guide for his books, but I didn't know what his grading was like so I was worried.

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif893censored-thumb.gif

I don't know if you remember the Batman #52 that I had slabbed as the top census copy (CGC 7.5), but I got that from the same guy. He called it a Fine.

Comiclink will probably net you the highest return.

I already have a couple offers on the book that are within the range (albeit toward the lower end of the range) of what I would accept. I am still waiting on an offer from another forumite who asked me to let him know when I was going to sell it, plus I have a friend checking with some other Spidey collectors to see if they want to make an offer for it, and then it'll go to the highest bidder. I'd rather not have to list it on ComicLink and give Josh 10% plus have to wait a month to get paid.

Weed I have plenty, it was the crack that I ran out of.. 27_laughing.gif

What about HCA? If they are willing to consign it you know it's worth at least 5k.

I'm sure Dallas Stephens/Mile High III has a few hundred of these he hasn't gotten to yet (even though he was going alphabetical). so who are you lookng at right now to consign it with?