• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

bigoltarzan.jpg

BZ, please ignore the goofy looking guy at left but keep in mind I, er, he is 6 ft. 5 in.

This is a HUGE Jeff Jones Tarzan painting done as a commission after he did a calendar of Tarzan images in the late '90s. I got it indirectly through Heritage a few years back. Before getting it I thought comics were the be all and end all. But now I get to wake up every day and stare at this! So there you go....some All-Story please!

I just crapped my pants

BTW, I didn't see a Tarzan and the Golden Lion in there. That is the one I'm missing. Is it hidden in a pile? If you could put it front and center I will trade you a post of my favorite Tarzan piece. I think you will like it. (And it ain't a funnybook!)

Richard, I have a copy of the book, but it's without the dust jacket.

The best I can do is offer up a picture of the BLB or the serialized version which ran in Argosy All-Story 12/9/22 to 1/20/23.

bigoltarzan.jpg

BZ, please ignore the goofy looking guy at left but keep in mind I, er, he is 6 ft. 5 in.

This is a HUGE Jeff Jones Tarzan painting done as a commission after he did a calendar of Tarzan images in the late '90s. I got it indirectly through Heritage a few years back. Before getting it I thought comics were the be all and end all. But now I get to wake up every day and stare at this! So there you go....some All-Story please!

Why is Tarzan wearing jeans and a white shirt? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

BTW, I didn't see a Tarzan and the Golden Lion in there. That is the one I'm missing. Is it hidden in a pile? If you could put it front and center I will trade you a post of my favorite Tarzan piece. I think you will like it. (And it ain't a funnybook!)

Richard, I have a copy of the book, but it's without the dust jacket.

The best I can do is offer up a picture of the BLB or the serialized version which ran in Argosy All-Story 12/9/22 to 1/20/23.

bigoltarzan.jpg

Un-bee-lievable... you need a McMansion with 20 foot ceilings to hang that properly smile.gif

very cool!

For my own collector curiosity since I know nothing about burroughs, I did a little research and yowza 893whatthe.gif it looks like BZ's books might be more valuable than a lot of the comics! I guess that's only appropriate, really, they are older and rarer, but not being a collector of them it came as a bit of a shock! Seems like a lot of them would be five figures in that kind of shape with dust jacket - yowch! BZ excuse the mercenary interest in the filthy lucre but to me it is very interesting to know where this market, or any collectibles market, is at.

congrats on another impressive collection.

Tarzan of the Apes

BURROUGHS, Edgar Rice

Bookseller: Heritage Book Shop, Inc., ABAA

(Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 55000.00

[Convert Currency]

Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:

US$ 6.50

[Rates & Speeds]

Book Description: Chicago A.C. McClurg & Co. 1914, 1914. First Edition of the First Tarzan Book, in the Exceptionally Rare Dust Jacket BURROUGHS, Edgar Rice. Tarzan of the Apes. Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1914. First edition, first state, without the publisher’s gold acorn device on the spine. Small octavo. [8], 400, [1], [3, blank] pp. Illustrated title-page by Fred J. Arting. Original dark red cloth with front cover ruled in blind and lettered in gilt and spine ruled and lettered in gilt. Minimal wear to extremities. Gilt lettering on spine a little oxidized, but far less than usual. Gilt lettering on front cover bright. Some very occasional minor marginal soiling. A few leaves with tiny marginal tears (less than 1/4 inch). Overall, an excellent copy. In the original exceptionally rare color pictorial dust jacket by Fred J. Arting (jacket with expert restoration to extremities and flap folds, just touching a couple of letters on front panel). Housed in a maroon cloth clamshell case. "Tarzan of the Apes is the third story Burroughs wrote, but is the first hardback book Burroughs published. This is the first appearance of the Lord of the Jungle in hardback" (Zeuschner). Heins T1. Zeuschner 696. HBS 51717. Bookseller Inventory # 51717

I (ashamedly) asked way back in this thread whether BZ had this - but it is a tough pull - and I doubt it - (sorry blush.gif) I believe there are only about 20 known copies and only 7 known copies with any portion of the D/J present, thus the price for a full D/J copy. The Burroughs Publishing 1st eds are relatively easier to get if you have the $$$$. Many pristine DJ's were left in his estate so they can be had, but it is kind of like saying that Mile High copies can be had - this is still an unbelievable concentration of high grade copies hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Of course, BZ did flash us that title shot of Tarzan of The Apes in the Argosy All Story - which may be rarer than the McClurg 1st Ed - so go figure 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Who KNOWS what is on them shelves?????

very cool!

For my own collector curiosity since I know nothing about burroughs, I did a little research and yowza 893whatthe.gif it looks like BZ's books might be more valuable than a lot of the comics! I guess that's only appropriate, really, they are older and rarer, but not being a collector of them it came as a bit of a shock! Seems like a lot of them would be five figures in that kind of shape with dust jacket - yowch! BZ excuse the mercenary interest in the filthy lucre but to me it is very interesting to know where this market, or any collectibles market, is at.

Tarzan of the Apes

BURROUGHS, Edgar Rice

[Convert Currency]

US$ 6.50

[Rates & Speeds]

Book Description: Chicago A.C. McClurg & Co. 1914, 1914. First Edition of the First Tarzan Book, in the Exceptionally Rare Dust Jacket BURROUGHS, Edgar Rice. Tarzan of the Apes. Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1914. First edition, first state, without the publisher’s gold acorn device on the spine. Small octavo. [8], 400, [1], [3, blank] pp. Illustrated title-page by Fred J. Arting. Original dark red cloth with front cover ruled in blind and lettered in gilt and spine ruled and lettered in gilt. Minimal wear to extremities. Gilt lettering on spine a little oxidized, but far less than usual. Gilt lettering on front cover bright. Some very occasional minor marginal soiling. A few leaves with tiny marginal tears (less than 1/4 inch). Overall, an excellent copy. In the original exceptionally rare color pictorial dust jacket by Fred J. Arting (jacket with expert restoration to extremities and flap folds, just touching a couple of letters on front panel). Housed in a maroon cloth clamshell case. "Tarzan of the Apes is the third story Burroughs wrote, but is the first hardback book Burroughs published. This is the first appearance of the Lord of the Jungle in hardback" (Zeuschner). Heins T1. Zeuschner 696. HBS 51717. Bookseller Inventory # 51717

I (ashamedly) asked way back in this thread whether BZ had this - but it is a tough pull - and I doubt it - (sorry blush.gif) I believe there are only about 20 known copies and only 7 known copies with any portion of the D/J present, thus the price for a full D/J copy. The Burroughs Publishing 1st eds are relatively easier to get if you have the $$$$. Many pristine DJ's were left in his estate so they can be had, but it is kind of like saying that Mile High copies can be had - this is still an unbelievable concentration of high grade copies hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Of course, BZ did flash us that title shot of Tarzan of The Apes in the Argosy All Story - which may be rarer than the McClurg 1st Ed - so go figure 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Who KNOWS what is on them shelves?????

I know. laugh.gif

very cool!

Tarzan of the Apes

BURROUGHS, Edgar Rice

[Convert Currency]

US$ 6.50

[Rates & Speeds]

I know. laugh.gif

Your collection RULES smile.gif

Thanks so much for sharing its diversity and letting everyone blather grin.gif

I know. laugh.gif

The pleasure is all mine. 893applaud-thumb.gif

In answer to the question, do I have a 1st edition of Tarzan of.........?

yes.gif

I know. laugh.gif

The pleasure is all mine. 893applaud-thumb.gif

In answer to the question, do I have a 1st edition of Tarzan of.........?

yes.gif

Wow...

You collect ALL the cool stuff - Comics, Burroughs, Pulps, Arkhams, Gnome Press - I would assume Fantasy Press, FPCI and the other Sci-Fi specialty publishers also grin.gif

My Old Man was a radio enthusiast in the 20's who was influenced by Hugo Gernsback's Electrical Experimenter ... Ralph 124C41 and all that ... so I came under the influence as well. You probably got those too...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

bigoltarzan.jpg

yo Beddy...

I want to take a roadtrip to houston just so I can get my picture taken with that bad boy! (I ain't wearing no longhorn T, though)

gator

You know you are welcome anytime, Gator shirt and all!

bigoltarzan.jpg

I just crapped my pants

Attention! Clean-up on page 198!