• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Always impresse by your copy AS.

Quick quiz: What was the name of the magician character from the GA who worked his magic by saying words backwards?

Tor, The Magic Master of course. In the continuing exposure of Guardineer, here's a dramatic page from a generally more sedate strip than Dan Hastings -

43076-Crack14-Tor-Guardineer.jpg.fc97db34496c7f45c4b276ff84def541.jpg

The sf fan I mentioned earlier today has written up his memories of the early days of science fiction fandom.

Here's a taste of the article.

A Personal Sense of Wonder

I was not quite a teenager when I first found my personal 'sense of wonder'. It was 1933, and I was walking past this back-date store, in Philadelphia where I lived with my parents, and there, in the window, was a copy of Wonder Stories. The cover of the magazine showed a giant moon coming towards the earth. It was so fascinating that I just had to have it, so I ran home and asked my mother for a nickel to buy it. And that's how I discovered science fiction.

Soon thereafter, when I was an active Boy Scout, my father told me that I needed a new pair of Scout pants and gave me two dollars. But on the way to the clothing store, I saw this magazine shop and the whole window was filled with Wonder Stories, Amazing Stories, and others. I went in there instead, and I spent the whole two dollars on magazines -- they were a nickel apiece or six for a quarter. As you might expect, it resulted in some real trouble for me. But it did start my science fiction collection.

It didn't take me too long to discover there were others who were also interested in science fiction. I liked finding out what other people thought of the stories I read so I began reading the Readers' Departments in the magazines, and some of the letter writers soon became as famous to me as some of the authors. In particular there was one fan, Allan Glasser, who I really think, historically, can be named as the first real science fiction fan. He had letters in the old Science Wonder Stories, and had earlier won a couple of Hugo Gernsback's contests. He wrote some of the most fantastic letters.

(If you would like to read the article in its entirety, please follow this link.)

A Personal Sense of Wonder

Hi BZ,

Thanks for posting the article... what a time it must have been back then. Seeing drug store windows full of WONDER's, meeting Gernsback, etc.

The funny thing is, I have bought many pulps from Robert Madle in my early years of pulp collecting!! The pulps were often overgraded, and had color xerox spines which he made no mention of, but I still have the first issue of AMAZING STORIES i bought from him, and the AMAZING STORIES ANNUAL 1927 , both in very nice shape. I didn't know at the time what an influence he was on fandom.

I also noticed in an issue of AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES (dec 1939, issue 2/12) that there is a two page spread which focuses on early fantasy fandom ("reviewing your Magazines" or some title like that)... and one of the fanzines reviewed was edited/created (?) by Bob Madle. Its at the top of the second page of the spread, about half way through the book.

Now, BZ, I know you'll be interested in the Bob Madle/Centaur connection!

The funny thing is, I have bought many pulps from Robert Madle in my early years of pulp collecting!! The pulps were often overgraded, and had color xerox spines which he made no mention of, but I still have the first issue of AMAZING STORIES i bought from him, and the AMAZING STORIES ANNUAL 1927 , both in very nice shape. I didn't know at the time what an influence he was on fandom.

lol I bought my copy of Marvel Science Stories with a color xerox from him as well. What a small community!

lol I bought my copy of Marvel Science Stories with a color xerox from him as well. What a small community!

You can always tell a Madle copy! And I do mean (photo) COPY!

After a few purchases, I gave up ... too many brown pages and photocopied spines. But I did get a few nice books from him!

The two AMAZING's on the bottom left edge (flying man and War of the Worlds covers) and the AMAZING on the lower right corner (the first issue) were from Robert ...

paulgroup1POST.jpg[/img]

Always impresse by your copy AS.

Quick quiz: What was the name of the magician character from the GA who worked his magic by saying words backwards?

Well, my answer would have been Yarko the Great, in Wonderworld Comics! :) After Zatara debuted in Action Comics, Fox wasted no time in ripping off that character as well. Obviously Wonder Man didn't quite get to the finish line, but Yarko stayed under the radar enough to make it through the whole run of Wonderworld.

Is there any demand for those G8 pulps? And BZ do you have a stack of them? I've noticed a bunch have paratrooper covers, I would like to find out which issues though and add them to my Want List. I did manage to track down this one on ebay for a cheap $20....which leads me to believe that this series is not that collectible..

G8BattleAcesDec1942.jpg

Is there any demand for those G8 pulps? And BZ do you have a stack of them? I've noticed a bunch have paratrooper covers, I would like to find out which issues though and add them to my Want List. I did manage to track down this one on ebay for a cheap $20....which leads me to believe that this series is not that collectible..

Oh, G-8 is collectible for sure. G-8 belongs in that rare group of character pulp hero with The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Spider, ... but over the years, he has become less of a starting five and more of a benchwarmer I will admit. Nonetheless, he is an important character, he is one of the guys with Nippy and Bull; otherwise, Adventure House would have folded its reprint project of his stories before now and they are up to # 25 in that reprint series. However, people in the comics market don't realize how cheap pulp collecting is. That's one factor. Second, your book is # 101 in the series being from Dec. 1942. As far as pulps go, the early to mid-'30s is where it's at (to paint a broad picture) and therefore demand for later issues is less, hence the bargain. Plus, since Hogan wrote all of them, by the end, he did become repetitive ...

Anyway, you'll be most interested in building your want list using Bill Mann's complete online G-8 gallery at this site. Have fun!

paulgroup1POST.jpg

I loved seeing your magazines.

The artwork on the covers of sci-fi pulps from that era is quite distinct. The covers look wild now, but back then they must have really seemed impossibly fantastic.

Just imagine, when Amazing Stories was first published: movies were still silent, commercial radio was in its infancy, and Goddard had just constructed and tested successfully the first rocket using liquid fuel.

What a different world it was back then.

The covers look wild now, but back then they must have really seemed impossibly fantastic.

Mardle mentions in his reminiscence how imprtant Paul's artwork was to the young science fiction fans so I'm sure you're right. We take Sci Fi for granted now as it's mainstream but it wasn't that long that it wasn't.

thrillingmysteryaugust1936.jpg

WOW, Bangzoom!!! WOW!!!

Just so you know, my two favorite weird menace themes: women in glass tubes, and scientist men in metal bullet shaped head apparatus!! This cover nails the latter!

Edited by RyanH

Scrooge

It's interesting that FH was toning down their stuff in '52, as that was still the height of excess for some other companies. Not only is the moody coloring of the '45 version better, but who doesn't like seeing Firehair showing some leg and midriff. Also it's nice seeing the blood in the first panel.

It's hard to tell in your scan of the OA, but is there white-out where her dress was extended?

I loved seeing your magazines.

The artwork on the covers of sci-fi pulps from that era is quite distinct. The covers look wild now, but back then they must have really seemed impossibly fantastic.

Just imagine, when Amazing Stories was first published: movies were still silent, commercial radio was in its infancy, and Goddard had just constructed and tested successfully the first rocket using liquid fuel.

What a different world it was back then.

Hi BZ,

Glad you liked the shot ... you have given us plenty of eye-candy over the last few months!!

:headbang: