• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

thrillingmysterysept1936.jpg

This cover is just harsh. Kinda hard to look at, but you can't look away either.

Keep up the quality family entertainment, BZ!

Scrooge

It's interesting that FH was toning down their stuff in '52, as that was still the height of excess for some other companies. Not only is the moody coloring of the '45 version better, but who doesn't like seeing Firehair showing some leg and midriff. Also it's nice seeing the blood in the first panel.

It's hard to tell in your scan of the OA, but is there white-out where her dress was extended?

doh! I didn't even notice that! That's for pointing it out. The OA is in my office. I'll check next week for evidence of the work and post.

Sorry, I think I meant Spicy Adventure Stories!!!

I have Spicy Adventure Stories, Spicy Detective Stories, and Spicy Mystery Stories.

I'll post a sampling of all of them sometime in the future.

Till then, here's a photo I posted about a month ago.

pulps.jpg

Sorry, I think I meant Spicy Adventure Stories!!!

You mean something like this ... Yes, I can stand to see a few as well as a few Thrilling Adventures Belarski covers :wishluck:

Exactly what I mean!!!! Wow!!! The covers on these pulps are fantastic!!!! :headbang:

Thanks for posting it!!! I can't wait to see Bang Zooms' as well!!! :popcorn:;

Nice OA Bangzoom!! Did Leonard Starr go on to take over the Orphan Annie strip much later, after Harold Gray? It rings a bell.

Love your pulp group shot... the "Fangs of the Bat" cover is simply amazing.

And the grades of your books never cease to amaze me. (worship)(worship)(worship):o

Did Leonard Starr go on to take over the Orphan Annie strip much later, after Harold Gray? It rings a bell.

Leonard Starr is probably best remembered for his newspaper comic strip, "On Stage," which ran from 1957 to 1979.

leonardstarr.jpg

It was, in my opinion, one of the best illustrated of the so called story strips.

In 1979 Starr voluntarily ended "On Stage" to take over the illustrating duties of Little Orphan Annie. He continued with that strip until his retirement in 2000.

Leonard Starr

I see the mention of Lloyd Jacquet's shop, Funnies Inc., did Starr do any work through the Iger Shop that supplied a lot of Fiction House material?

(BTW, great pulps and art! (worship) )

I see the mention of Lloyd Jacquet's shop, Funnies Inc., did Starr do any work through the Iger Shop that supplied a lot of Fiction House material?

I've seen references to Starr working for the Chesler Studio but don't recall any mention of the Iger Shop.

Bangzoom was that OA in the original Campbell Bros collection you purchased in the 1970's or did you acquire it separately?

CC

The Campbell Bros deal involved only comic books.

The Space Pirate story was purchased at a New York Comicon.