• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

FRANK Shuster?

So this is by Joe's cousin of "Wayne and Shuster" fame! When I've seen this item mentioned before, I thought it was by Jerry and Joe!

Jack

The advertisement in the comic would certainly lead one to believe it was co-written by Joe.

howtobefunnyga.jpg

Frank, however, turns out to be no slouch in the comedy department.

According to Wikipedia, Frank was indeed one half of the comedy team of Wayne and Shuster. They set a record by appearing on the The Ed Sullivan Show 67 times. His daughter, Rosie Shuster is a comedy writer. She is married to Lorne Michaels, producer of Saturday Night Live.

Thanks! Nice-looking Christmas story, talking trees and all. Which issue was it in?

Great feature.

Jack

Sniffles and Mary Jane

LTpg1.jpg

# 39 :gossip:

Thanks. I thought it looked like the later Mary Jane rather than the one in #5 that I've been rambling on about. I wonder when she changed -- the feature changed hands or was it gradual?

Jack

317b_3.jpg

"You may thus find it possible to advance where before it was out of the question. Your buoyant personality will appeal to the prospective boss who was previously only bored and bothered by your hard-luck stories."

Man... Coming from Jerry Siegel, that is especially poignant.

Scrooge, I loved seeing the Black Condor story.

Lou Fine's work reminds me somewhat of Frazetta's art on Johnny Comet.

Thanks BZ. I was starting to wonder if anyone noticed it buried between your Loney Tunes # 1 and the Siegel's How to Cartoon lessons.

The story looks even better in larger scans. I had to drop the quality to have the boards host it and it clearly lost some of its Oomph with some lines dropped in the lower resolution scans.

I was about to upload an outrageous scan to see some reaction. I mean, who couldn't react to a page showcasing Hitler and his pet nazi T-Rex? -

44413-Clue4HitlersTRex.jpg

Also, in reference to the influence of movies on the comics medium, here's another clear example where Eisner is chanelling the newly released Citizen Kane into his artwork -

44411-USQ1-CKInfluence.jpg

Not that Eisner needed movie to play with medium as seen in this Uncle Sam page. It's interesting that the other notable "abuser" of panels was that other comics luminary that Winsor McKay was -

44412-USQ1-KofCPage.jpg

44413-Clue4HitlersTRex.jpg.ea73a66a82e94afca55489476f03dd0e.jpg

I can't let this thread fall to the second page.

You know ... I would have been immensely mad if I couldn't find the next issue of that book to continue the story as a kid in 1939. For that matter, who can tell me what happened? :pullhair:

me too!!! I wanna know what happens next!

someone please!

talking about Gary Concord!

Edited by aman619

I love those Uncle Sam pages. :)

I'm going to have to dig out that issue to see the rest of the story.

They are great books. Go for it and enjoy reading them. Please report to us what you find interesting if you do.

In the meantime, here's another page for Theagenes -

44414-Whiz50-ThorandLoki.jpg.75f42bd5c2136dca5b9074232377d77b.jpg

They are great books. Go for it and enjoy reading them. Please report to us what you find interesting if you do.

In the meantime, here's another page for Theagenes -

Wow this is a real treat for me since I'm such a huge Thor fan and I never new this stuff existed so many years before Kirby did his take in 1963. Here I thought Kirby was a genius for coming up with this stuff but its clear he had soem help with the idea.

WOW

Here's a photo from July 4th.

It seems like an appropriate time to repost it.

UncleSam.jpg

Trust you BZ. Great US books (thumbs u but I am so pleased that someone else shares a love of Norman Rockwell - the Four Freedoms were/are a wonderful series. A truly inspirational and technically excellent artist whose work is all too often incorrectly dismissed as trite or hackneyed.

Wow Scrooge, thnx for the scans. Ze-

My pleasure Kenny.

Here's a good romping interlude that should be of interest to The Watcher and many others -

lol Kirby funny animal! You gotta love it. Thanks Michael (thumbs u

Angelo

We're still on a Lou Fine kick. This next story should clearly explain why all the artists of that time (circa 1940 / 1941) would check what Lou was doing and would want to be fine like Fine -

Man, that art is simply gorgeous :cloud9: I could spend all day looking at his artwork.

Angelo

We're still on a Lou Fine kick. This next story should clearly explain why all the artists of that time (circa 1940 / 1941) would check what Lou was doing and would want to be fine like Fine -

Wow :o What gorgeous art! Are there any reprints books/comics of Lou Fine's work?

Wow :o What gorgeous art! Are there any reprints books/comics of Lou Fine's work?

As far as I know, only Greg Theakston under his Pure Imagination front has reprinted Lou Fine in concise and focused format. There's a least one (or two) volume(s) of the Lou Fine Reader and the Lou Fine Treasury. All are in B&W and I would check how much overlap there is across the volumes. Greg regularly republishes some old and new material under new covers to keep the books out in the marketplace as he did with his recent Toth: Edge of Genius, reprinting some stories that were in the Toth Reader.