• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

hey Scrooge - - is nt that Spirit story the one reprinted in Jules Feiffers book from the 60s? I always thought it was the first appearance like the other stories in the book.

Nope. First appearance was June 2 1940, that section is from July 20 1941.

hey Scrooge - - is nt that Spirit story the one reprinted in Jules Feiffers book from the 60s? I always thought it was the first appearance like the other stories in the book.

I just checked.

You're right.

That's the one in the book. (thumbs u

Jon,

having had the chance to sift through those Quality books, I am in even greater awe (if that's possible) of your OA collection. That Ray piece is of course such a killer. Just incredible. Do you know if Fine and Crandall alternated on the Ray or Crandall succeeded Fine?

In the meantime, I was going through more Smash books and came upon issue # 41 from March 1943. Guardineer does us the honors on The Marksman. As soon as I actually read the story (versus just looking at the art), it struck me that I'd already read that -script. Immediately I pulled my Spirit archives # 3 and sure enough, there it was: The Jewel of Death from July 20, 1941. It's the exact same story recycled about 2 years later as a Marksman -script. So here's a page by page (well, almost the Spirit is 8 pages long to The Marksman's 7) comparison of Eisner and Guardineer's approach to the story. Note that Guardineer stayed close to Eisner's interpretation throughout. I grew up loving the "clear line" so my heart favors Guardineer. What do you guys think? Enjoy -

I am awed by this comparison you found! (Let alone of your technical prowess of the set up). I have not been able to figure out definitely when Crandall took over. It is sometime in 1942.....I have not found good documentation on this.....Here is crandall Ray from Smash 26 Oct 142

44553-raycandrall.jpg.b12118a4495cf0291c9ded17b65a45d9.jpg

I have not been able to figure out definitely when Crandall took over. It is sometime in 1942.....I have not found good documentation on this

My records show that the artists for The Ray in Smash are:

Lou Fine - #'s 14-23, 25, 30-34

Reed Crandall - #'s 24, 26-29, 35-37

Rudy Palais - #'s 38-40

We're still on a Lou Fine kick. This next story should clearly explain why all the artists of that time (circa 1940 / 1941) would check what Lou was doing and would want to be fine like Fine -

44455-Smash20-R1.jpg

I'm becoming a bigger fan of Lou Fine every time you post another story.

Incredible artwork.

I love it.

Yes, absolutely gorgeous artwork by the master himself! :cloud9:

For once, the interior art on some of these Quality books are far superior to the cover art for their books. Certainly not the norm for most of the GA books.

Any idea which issue of Smash Comics this particular story of the Ray came from?

Any idea which issue of Smash Comics this particular story of the Ray came from?

Smash #20. Just as a FYI, when Scrooge posts an attachment all you have to do is place your mouse over the image and it'll usually display the info (thumbs u

Angelo

Jon, Do you have any "The Barker" artwork by Klaus Nordling or Gill Fox?

I do not. I visited Gil several times at his home before his death. A real nice guy who kept a lot of the material he created. Here is some of it. jon

Yowza.

Jon, you've put up some great posts in the past, but these photos are among my all time favorites.

Wow, those are incredible! I'm surprised to see how small the Police covers are. I thought all GA art was twice-up.

ah grasshopper.....that is not so (obviously)....Mac Raboy are often small (rumored to be because he worked so slow).....the police and crack cover i have are small.....the hit 22 is huge.......lou fine stuff is twice up.....jb

Wow, those are incredible! I'm surprised to see how small the Police covers are. I thought all GA art was twice-up.

ah grasshopper.....that is not so (obviously)....Mac Raboy are often small (rumored to be because he worked so slow).....the police and crack cover i have are small.....the hit 22 is huge.......lou fine stuff is twice up.....jb

Well, kudos to Gil Fox for retaining his own artwork. If more artists had had the forsight then maybe more GA artwork would've survived. Oh, to dream...

That generation of artist and writers...let alone that whole generation will be sorely missed. I feel very strongly about seeing all the golden Age reprinted and saved for posterity.

then you all wii be happy to hear that the current museum display of comicbooks and art is occurring at mountclair museum in new jersey which i attended last night.....to me since the first sotheby auction i often laugh to my self to sip wine and look at 'funny books"....incredibly some of the pioneers were there.....joe simon, murphy anderson, gene colan, irv hasen....An honor. Jon

www.mountclairartmuseum.org

That generation of artist and writers...let alone that whole generation will be sorely missed. I feel very strongly about seeing all the golden Age reprinted and saved for posterity.

then you all wii be happy to hear that the current museum display of comicbooks and art is occurring at mountclair museum in new jersey which i attended last night.....to me since the first sotheby auction i often laugh to my self to sip wine and look at 'funny books"....incredibly some of the pioneers were there.....joe simon, murphy anderson, gene colan, irv hasen....An honor. Jon

Jon, is this the exhibit that will showcase Win's Action 1? Any photos?

Yes it is. The museum did an excellent job with the exhibit which they noted was one of their most successful exhibits in attendence and media coverage.

Yup, it was there just as you walk into the exhibit....no photos of comics allowed...xray vision and all that....i do film do we will see what comes out.....jon