• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Scrooge, I loved the Sniper. Just FYI.

Thanks! It's clear it came out of the Eisner / Iger shop (?, I'm just guessing here as I don't want to check dates) as it could easily have been retooled into a Spirit adventure. Plus, the mix of Gustavson rendition on Henkel layout is a winning combo. Glad to hear you liked it. I wish DC would reproduce Military in a Marvel Masterwork manner, i.e., reprint all the strips rather than single out Blackhawk and we know how that went ... we've never seen a second volume of the Blackhawk Archives!! Here goes my hopes ...

Plus, the mix of Gustavson rendition on Henkel layout is a winning combo.

So it is Gustavson artwork?

I don't know that it is either. What I was trying to say is that it's Gustavson-like in rendition and Henkel-like in layout. Sorry for the confusion.

Fantastic FLIP FALCON by "Orville Wells", Scrooge!!

That dialogue is killer!! "I feel so queer!" :roflmao:

And that ending is pure GA ... we ran out of pages, so we'll just end it. Period.

Great stuff!!! :applause:

That dialogue is killer!! "I feel so queer!"

My favorite is Flip's line when they're wrapped up in cocoons and being carried off: "I'm afraid we're in for trouble, Adele."

lol You really think so, Flip? :baiting:

53903-F8-FF3.jpg

Fantastic FLIP FALCON by "Orville Wells", Scrooge!!

That dialogue is killer!! "I feel so queer!" :roflmao:

And that ending is pure GA ... we ran out of pages, so we'll just end it. Period.

Great stuff!!! :applause:

Well, the "I feel so queer!" line isn't that bad as the connotation of the word "queer" had not drifted as much by then as it has in the intervening 60 years. In retrospect, of course, it's odd but at the time (shrug)

Steve, it's straight from Fantastic # 8. (thumbs u

Well, the "I feel so queer!" line isn't that bad as the connotation of the word "queer" had not drifted as much by then as it has in the intervening 60 years. In retrospect, of course, it's odd but at the time (shrug)

Funny how we perceive time and behavior/words...

I'm currently reading Suetonius' The Twelve Caesars and was taken aback when he talked about someone getting into trouble for making an obscene gesture with their middle finger.

Even 2,000 years ago people were apparently getting flipped off! :o

Steve, it's straight from Fantastic # 8. (thumbs u

Another book added to my want list - thnx.

Here's the second piece with the Superman / Spy / Slam Bradley by Shuster visual reference I wanted to showcase. Now I've been able to scan some of Roy Crane work for people to reference when looking at Shuster's standard male character -

Shuster -

53900-ShusterComparisons.jpg

and Crane -

53923-Shuster-RoyCrane.jpg.51f280f1ff9d471da7140d5d43c0cc69.jpg

Here's the second piece with the Superman / Spy / Slam Bradley by Shuster visual reference I wanted to showcase. Now I've been able to scan some of Roy Crane work for people to reference when looking at Shuster's standard male character -

-snip-

Thanks Scrooge. That's great. :applause:

Copying the masters is a time honored tradition. It's one of the first things they teach you in any art class. (The second? "90% of the people sitting in this room will never make a living from their art." )

This guy has interesting take on the subject.

http://www.geraldking.com/Copying.htm

Thanks Scrooge. That's great. :applause:

Glad to see someone is paying attention (thumbs u

Have I ever posted this Everett illo? -

Not that I recall. But, I am glad you did now :applause:

This one's for BZ. Yup, I dug up a Nordling story for you ... you're lucky it has a standard crazy GA deserving of a wider audience. :P

If you thought Iron Fist was the first Marvel character to receive his powers in the Himalayas ... think again!! -

53927-M4-TM1.jpg.fdfdd77951b980f328446fdbf1551af7.jpg

53928-M4-TM2.jpg.c15fa8ee851f3a65c5ef65e9bf7d39ee.jpg

53929-M4-TM3.jpg.e9013d6e767525551a9a34037eb2f355.jpg

53930-M4-TM4.jpg.89eaa3343422e3b09feda0e3d3678f59.jpg

53931-M4-TM5.jpg.39783af58d990a0fa5c0177909429ad6.jpg

53932-M4-TM6.jpg.f33fe61f9c849d4c3da163df2f67b287.jpg

53933-M4-TM7.jpg.eca4c888881209b8e43450f94f434460.jpg

53934-M4-TM8.jpg.20a249a3262c70ec89cb3fa5331c9c2c.jpg

Thanks, Scrooge.

I'm not familiar with Nordling's artwork from that time period so it was fun to see. I like seeing superheroes roll themselves up and slide under doors. lol

My fondness of Nordling is mostly due to his work on The Barker strip and admittedly that may have more to due with the subject matter than any special artistic merit.

Still, I did enjoy The Thin Man story.

53927-M4-TM1.jpg