• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

2319383686_88231e5047_b.jpg

2318573081_a7653ae386_o.jpg

2319383946_508164ae61_b.jpg

Incredible collection you have, BB.

Thanks for sharing it. :applause:

If I ever win the lottery there's quite a few Sunday strips I'd like to collect. :wishluck:

Until then I'm relying on you and Scrooge to satisfy my addiction. (thumbs u

Speaking of Potato Heads, I kinda like the monster on the front cover of this old Startling.

2319567237_73f7e99cbd_o.jpg

But when you get inside and read the story, its Mr. Potato Head again. Still pretty good space opera.

bb

2320379778_cb22c4fbcb_o.jpg

2320379916_b892444b04_o.jpg

2319567659_4658951219_o.jpg

2319567895_e5b0969ae6_o.jpg

Startling scans from Goldenage.UK which is up and running again.

I found a few more Raymond strips to scan. Too bad I can't show the whole thing. It would take a little photoshop work... or a bigger scanner.

2319383686_88231e5047_b.jpg

I can help you for that -

Scrooge,

I like the reprint volumes too but I think there is a little more detail in the Full Size Sunday Page. But they did a pretty good job with some of the Prince Valiant reprints.

2320427378_8b19821fb0_b.jpg

Scrooge,

I like the reprint volumes too but I think there is a little more detail in the Full Size Sunday Page. But they did a pretty good job with some of the Prince Valiant reprints.

Based on your scan from the Sunday compared to my scan of the reprint, clearly some of the detail is lost on Flash. For some one like me though, the reprints are a Godsend since I couldn't imagine starting collecting Sundays from scratch and, as a collector, having the whole Raymond run in 7 neat volumes is just heaven :luhv:

But for the Prince Valiant, I think (no offense) that my reprints look better. At times, my edition isn't great because some other strips are seen through due to the paper copy used but for the Sunday you showed I get a lot more details.

Yours -

Mine -

54153-PV-BB-Same.jpg.0e720c6c434f3fb83e81897bece1f27b.jpg

[incredible collection you have, BB.

Thanks for sharing it. :applause:

If I ever win the lottery there's quite a few Sunday strips I'd like to collect. :wishluck:

Until then I'm relying on you and Scrooge to satisfy my addiction. (thumbs u

BZ,

As the sign says, I am going to miss that car. Too many comics and too much time spent searching for new things to buy.

Perhaps I can find another 1914 Gazoozum. Interesting fuel too. What do you think Jack?

Is it safer than gas, diesel or hydrogen? By the way, comic strips are not expensive but they are difficult to store.

bb

2320480630_c815eddefb_o.jpg

Scrooge,

Based on your scan from the Sunday compared to my scan of the reprint, clearly some of the detail is lost on Flash. For some one like me though, the reprints are a Godsend since I couldn't imagine starting collecting Sundays from scratch and, as a collector, having the whole Raymond run in 7 neat volumes is just heaven :luhv:

But for the Prince Valiant, I think (no offense) that my reprints look better. At times, my edition isn't great because some other strips are seen through due to the paper copy used but for the Sunday you showed I get a lot more details.

Yours -

2320524938_e4860a43a8_b.jpg

Scrooge,

The Prince Valiant that you are using for comparison is the Nostalgia reprint.

I was trying to show a copy that looked good. I guess Nostalgia didn't do a very good job. Perhaps it looks better with a little more contrast as above.Do you have a reprint of the panels shown below. This copy is from the original full size Sunday page from 1949 and would be a better comparision.

What is your reprint?

bb

2319726079_577ac91b16_b.jpg

I was thinking that about looking into buying reprint volumes of Flash Gordon and Prince Valiant.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

For PV, Best are the 3 volumes (Year 1 - 3) from Manuscript press that are slightly bigger than the recent Little Nemo edition. (OT: Shouldn't it have that have really been called a Big Little book). The Fantagraphics offer a way to get the complete set and are very nicely produced -- I believe Scrooge scanned from it for his post. I would avoid the Nostalgia Press editions -- only a few volumes were created and they not of the highest quality (they were good editions at their time of printing). There may be another large size version coming out of Germany but my memories may be getting cross-wired and I have no link.

Several of the Fantagraphics editions go for more than cover price because of the small print runs. I picked mine up as they were produced so I don't keep up with the prices. Bud Plant has great prices on many of the Fantagraphics. The Manuscript Press editions aren't cheap. link

For Flash Gordon, I would go with the Kitchen Sink editions. There is a new edition of the strip but it's not getting glowing reviews was the main write up from the Amazon staff. Member comments are more positive. link

Edited by adamstrange

Well I wouldn't buy Prince Valiant in French either. I am still struggling to read a menu when I travel to Belgium.

I would have a little more success translating German but it is still hardwork.

But for the art and the fact that they didn't recolor some of the panels, I think Scrooge's edition looked pretty good.

bb

Thanks for the advice.

I love the Little Nemo book.

I received it as a Christmas gift from my wife. :acclaim:

I edited my post above -- the Flash Gordon's were Kitchen Sink. And added some links.

And, I believe that the German edition might have been in English. Then, again, it may be a complete figment of my imagination. (thumbs u