• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

I was thinking that about looking into buying reprint volumes of Flash Gordon and Prince Valiant.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

For PV, Best are the 3 volumes (Year 1 - 3) from Manuscript press that are slightly bigger than the recent Little Nemo edition. (OT: Shouldn't it have that have really been called a Big Little book). The Fantagraphics offer a way to get the complete set and are very nicely produced -- I believe Scrooge scanned from it for his post. I would avoid the Nostalgia Press editions -- only a few volumes were created and they not of the highest quality (they were good editions at their time of printing). There may be another large size version coming out of Germany but my memories may be getting cross-wired and I have no link.

Several of the Fantagraphics editions go for more than cover price because of the small print runs. I picked mine up as they were produced so I don't keep up with the prices.

For Flash Gordon, I would go with the Kitchen Sink editions. There is a new edition of the strip but it's not getting glowing reviews was the main write up from the Amazon staff. Member comments are more positive. link

Adam is correct. I have the Manuscript Press 3 volumes (1937-1939) as well as the Fantagraphics. I strongly recommend the MP. They were done with incredible care.

I received it as a Christmas gift from my wife.

Sounds like you married a very understanding woman!

Scrooge,

The Prince Valiant that you are using for comparison is the Nostalgia reprint.

I was trying to show a copy that looked good. I guess Nostalgia didn't do a very good job. Perhaps it looks better with a little more contrast as above.Do you have a reprint of the panels shown below. This copy is from the original full size Sunday page from 1949 and would be a better comparision.

What is your reprint?

bb

2319726079_577ac91b16_b.jpg

As mentioned somewhere already, of course my version is in French but it was ideal for availability and comprehensiveness. All volumes are still readily available from the publisher. I only had to find one on eBay. The collection reprints all of Foster's run from 1937 to 1971 in an oversize format. Not as large as the Fantagraphics but about the size of the other version mentioned. Here's the corresponding Sunday as reprinted for comparison to the original 1949 Sunday you posted. Any fuzziness comes from the book being larger than the scanner bed -

54155-PV-OtherSunday.jpg.92392d98355edc9ff82dad64b459ad1e.jpg

I was thinking that about looking into buying reprint volumes of Flash Gordon and Prince Valiant.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

For PV, Best are the 3 volumes (Year 1 - 3) from Manuscript press that are slightly bigger than the recent Little Nemo edition. (OT: Shouldn't it have that have really been called a Big Little book). The Fantagraphics offer a way to get the complete set and are very nicely produced -- I believe Scrooge scanned from it for his post. I would avoid the Nostalgia Press editions -- only a few volumes were created and they not of the highest quality (they were good editions at their time of printing). There may be another large size version coming out of Germany but my memories may be getting cross-wired and I have no link.

Several of the Fantagraphics editions go for more than cover price because of the small print runs. I picked mine up as they were produced so I don't keep up with the prices. Bud Plant has great prices on many of the Fantagraphics. The Manuscript Press editions aren't cheap. link

For Flash Gordon, I would go with the Kitchen Sink editions. There is a new edition of the strip but it's not getting glowing reviews was the main write up from the Amazon staff. Member comments are more positive. link

As stated above, what mattered to me when I bought my reprints was first and foremost availability and completeness. I am fortunate for the PV that there is a French edition, more compact than the Fantagraphics which would have been my US choice because the whole run is covered. Again, repro in the French version is not always superb but the coloring is original to when the strips were run.

I have the Checkers 7 volumes edition of Flash Gordon. That's where the scan I posted earlier comes from. I am attaching a larger scan of a single panel so you can judge quality of repro for yourself. Again convenience was a factor since I did like you did with the PV Fantagraphics Adam, I bought the Checkers as they were published -

54156-Checkers-FG.jpg.e0746b1d77c128db1241bf896ae554d6.jpg

There are these things called "bookcases" :baiting:

ComicShelf2.jpg

BZ,

I noticed this Popeye strip was signed by someone with your initials (bottom right hand corner). Any relation?

bb

PS That stands for Bela Zaboly by the way. I didn't know the name of the artist after Segar but thanks to Wikipedia for the info.

2321418786_cfb5bf15d7_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

There are these things called "bookcases" :baiting:

(shrug) (That pic is a year old though ...)

Yeah, I knew you have a great setup in your basement. Just teasing you. :foryou:

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

I wish I had my books as well organized as you. Mine are on different bookcases scattered throughout the house.

I've added Prince Valiant and Flash Gordon to my wish list. (thumbs u

(Maybe I'll get some of them for my birthday. :gossip:)

Is there a large size reprint set of Foster's Tarzan in print (or easily available if out of print)?

That's the strip I'd like to track down first.

The large size PV is available at Bud Plant and listed in the link that I edited into my recommendation post above. My books are not completely consolidated but the big chunk are on a set of 6 bookcases, the first of which contains the Manuscript Press edition on top of and covering up the Gasoline Alley and Little Nemo books. :o The Fantagraphic PV editions are in pic 2, bottom shelf of left book case (white spines). They are slightly larger than the Carl Barks Library editions. The Flying Buttress Tarzans are on the same shelf at the far left (green spines) are slightly larger than the Fantagrahic PVs.

ComicShelf1.jpg

ComicShelf2.jpg

ComicShelf3.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Is there a large size reprint set of Foster's Tarzan in print (or easily available if out of print)?

That's the strip I'd like to track down first.

Yes and No. Yes there is a large size reprint set of Foster's Tarzan but No it's not in print even though it's not that hard to find them on eBay. Note that Vol. 2 should be the cheapest as it's always available. They are the Flying Buttress Classics Library Tarzan in Color. The Foster run 1931 - 1937 is in the first 6 volumes. The set continues with the Hogarth run up to Volume ?. I want to say 18 or 19. I lucked out and found a complete set of the Foster at the Chicago Con last year. Didn't buy the Hogarth volumes they had but should have ...

I think you should go for the Checkers Flash reprint FWIW. It's a cheap set to get.

Take a better pic of both the Scrooge figure in the book shelf and the tantalizing one on the left of the bookshelves :foryou: If you show me yours, I'll show you mine :grin:

This gave me an excuse to try out the tripod that arrived yesterday. I'm still getting used to this camera as it's so tiny compared to the 35mm SLR model that I had -- it's no heavier or bigger than the lenses that I had on that one. Both of those are Disney approved. I bought my little one at DisneyWorld but Carl Bark's copy was on eBay recently in one of Jerry Weist's auctions. The big one was available via eBay by Disney a few years back and I didn't read the small print that is 19" high. Two enormous boxes arrived on my doorstep one day and I had no idea what they were until I opened them.

LittleScrooge.jpg

BigScrooge.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

BZ,

Don't forget the other Flash Gordon artist.

bb

2321727992_dabe3d4e3a.jpg

As well as my late friend Dan Barry. If you ever had the chance to meet and spend some time with Dan you were in for a treat. He was quite a personality.

dannybarryflashgordon.jpg

ComicShelf1.jpg

I'm extremely jealous of those bookcases.

Unfortunately I'd need to move to a larger house to accommodate anything of that size. :pullhair:

Too much stuff, not enough room. :sorry:

Time to move some stuff. And remember....

:takeit: