• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

What can you tell us about The Cartoon Crimes? What was the story's setting? Was it a sure-fire winner of a story? I would settle for it to be interesting ...

I have several pulps with Bonnett stories but I picked the Sure-Fire to post because I liked the fact that it contained "The Cartoon Crimes."

Unfortunately, sad to say, after skimming the story...it doesn't look very appealing. :P

cartooncrimes.jpg

Originally Posted By: MrBedrock
 Originally Posted By: The_Black_Hand
This thread never ceases to amaze me...it's fun and informative and it leaves me wanting more.

It makes me want to smoke.

hm

where is that picture of Homer Simpson lighting his cigarette with a burning Action #1? :frustrated:

Unfortunately, sad to say, after skimming the story...it doesn't look very appealing.

cartooncrimes.jpg

That is some purple prose there! Gold-flecked eyes ... now where else did I hear about those hm

And "the piquancy of her upturned nose" Priceless. lol

If he continues with this kind of descriptions throughout :P

I don't own it. It's one of the documents entered into evidence in the Joanne Siegel v. Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc copyright trial.

Link

For additional correspondence between Jerry Siegel and DC Comics, check the link I posted with the letter.

It's fascinating reading.

Link

I suggest everyone take a few minutes an dread the linked documents. Seems they were just filed on 8/5/08. There are many many letters from Lebowitz and Whiney Ellsworth castigating Siegel for bad stories, bad artwork, bad overseeing of talent, lack of cooperation, lack or seriousness, lack of gratitude(!) ... basically, if these were entered by DC, seemingly an effort o set teh stage for DC replacing them after years of generosity.

It also includes annual income totals by Siegel/Shuster for 1038 - 1947. Are you ready? $401K. But as you read the little details about their payments and shares in Superman's income, you have to wonder how much DC took in!

All in all, DC talks like a frustrated parent, putting up with these unprofessional kids. Certainly, there is some truth to this. But, if they were so bad, perhaps DC should have made good on their threats to replace them. But they apparently knew there was noone to take over until much later in the 40s. Anyway, its a big complicated enchilada. But fascinating.

This thread never ceases to amaze me...it's fun and informative and it leaves me wanting more.

doh\!

I know that your just crying out for another one of my quit smoking lectues.

Jack asked if I had a story with Lois smoking. I didn't find anything other than her look alike, Ultra, jumping into a volcano. Heavy smokers in the series were Perry White and almost any gangster. Other heavy smokers were Jiggs and Albert the Alligator. 2756887592_9fe4213970_b.jpg

doh\!

I know that your just crying out for another one of my quit smoking lectues.

When Albert's friends try to convince him to stop smoking, they get Pogo to dress up as a hot babe from Baton Rouge. It doesn't exactly work since he wasn't as dumb as they thought. Here is the edited version... 2756958964_1f87bef3c8_b.jpg2756126043_2fe2a3c894_b.jpg2756959658_b1ac470b90_b.jpg

(TBH)This thread never ceases to amaze me...it's fun and informative and it leaves me wanting more.(Richard the smoker) It makes me want to smoke.(TBH)I know that your just crying out for another one of my quit smoking lectues.

(BB-GUN)When Albert's friends try to convince him to stop smoking, they get Pogo to dress up as a hot babe from Baton Rouge.

It doesn't exactly work since he wasn't as dumb as they thought. Here is the edited version...

2756958964_1f87bef3c8_b.jpg

2756126043_2fe2a3c894_b.jpg

2756959658_b1ac470b90_b.jpg

...(BB-GUN)When Albert's friends try to convince him to stop smoking, they get Pogo to dress up as a hot babe from Baton Rouge.

It doesn't exactly work since he wasn't as dumb as they thought. Here is the edited version...

2756958964_1f87bef3c8_b.jpg

Great stuff! Which issue is this from? I have them all but, sad to say, haven't read them all.Edited? Did you leave out (a) page(s) between the first and second? Kelly's storytelling is so good that it works anyway. Very early versions of the characters -- they became much sleeker later. Churchy almost reminds me of Touché Turtle with that big ol' beak. Kelly's swampland buddies cross-dressed more often than Jimmy Olsen!Thanks,Jack

Jack,

The anti-smoking story was from Animal 22 that was recently made available to me as scans by someone else. It seemed related to the two smoking comments that appeared on the thread. I think TBH fixed the dialogue from the thread so that the quotes made more since. I skipped 4 or 5 pages from the middle of the story. Pogo wouldn't play a trick on Albert like that without a reason (most of the story was about how they convinced him to wear the dress and not stealing the cigars) but I just kept the relevant to the thread portion. All of those stories are pretty good so pick some up if you get a chance. There is also a terrific fish story in one of the later issues of Animal comics. I also have many of the Pogo issues including the giant. My best recollections of Kelly were from election time and the sixties. His LBJ character was hilarious. I think Overstreet mentions that the stories in Animal are by Kelly but art is by Dan Noonan. I didn't check the GCD to see if this is correct. There is another story in Animal 9 where Albert smokes a window shade. Refined taste.

bb

2757929475_8a2a1f4cbd_b.jpg

I think it's interesting how the look of DC's covers evolved in the 1930's.

Originally they mimicked the look of slapstick comic strips in the newspaper. A few years later they resembled pulp covers.

88_4_31.jpg

topnotch.jpg

Top-Notch Magazine