• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Hopefully you'll like it. There's a lot in there about writers' frustration about editors, inspirations, the competition of new (and cheaper) writers and critics about story quality and market over-extension, ... It's also made me realize how hurtful to the pulp business the market crash and the depression was, which the writers felt bitterly when the word rate dropped significantly. Over were the days when the rate would be 7¢ a word for the best of them all. 2¢ became the normal top rate and some outfit paid beginners ½¢ a word!!

Have you read "The Pulp Jungle" by Frank Gruber? I read it when it was first published in 1967 and thought it was great.

I read it a couple of years ago and have photocopies of it. The most memorable part of the book for me was the tomato soup. IIRC, he went to a sandwich shop, one of those automatic ones in Manhattan, sat down, ordered tea or somesuch and proceeded to dump ketchup (free) into the hot water with some salt and voilà, tomato soup!! lol I agree it's a nice and easy book to read.

HAH! Memorably borrowed in the film Midnight Cowboy!

Jack

"I'm walkin' heah..."

Here's a sample of Pulp Fictioneers from Jerry K. Westerfield, editor of Amazing Stories and Fantactic Adventures, in Writer's Digest - January 1940. This is an excerpt of his article with lots of facts that I delighted in when I was reading them this morning -

63137.jpg.83a7e6fd79c80418ed443df8951d6757.jpg

63138.jpg.52a2f594a6dd12387f94f47fb09ef063.jpg

Here's a sample of Pulp Fictioneers from Jerry K. Westerfield, editor of Amazing Stories and Fantactic Adventures, in Writer's Digest - January 1940. This is an excerpt of his article with lots of facts that I delighted in when I was reading them this morning -

Fascinating article. I'm surprised that Westerfield was so forthcoming about the low word rates being paid.

Put here because the thread is the recepticle (sp?) for such GA information:

As posted on the Kirby Museum site - here

An Open Letter from Joe Simon to Marvel Comics

Dear Marvel Comics:

Yesterday I received the latest Marvel Masterworks book, Golden Age Captain America. Thank you, Marvel. The book is wonderful, beautifully crafted, something to be proud of if it winds up in one’s collection.

I read the first chapter of the introduction by Gerard Jones.

Gerard, you are full of mess. You have already compromised your integrity by making statements and asking questions that you have no answers to. Why bring them up at all? The fly-by-nights were taking every advantage of the creators and that has been well documented in the past. You might have examined your statements but nobody ever asked me or Mr. Kirby if we had any papers or documents to confirm.

Marvel is a big boy now. You should grow up. Learn to check your sources before you shoot off the hip.

So, I make another friend. At this stage, why should I care?

Joe Simon

Postscript from Harry Mendryk: When I was leaving, Joe came with me to check his mail. As we waited for the elevator he commented: “After 90 you’ve earned the right to say someone is full of mess.”

Further postscript from Harry Mendryk: Gerard Jones wrote about the early history of Timely and Captain America. He included the story that Joe wrote about in his book The Comic Book Makers that Goodman had made a deal with Simon and Kirby to share the royalties from Captain America but when he did not live up to that agreement Joe and Jack left for DC. Jones also wrote that Goodman’s story was that after Captain America’s success Simon and Kirby broke their deal to go to DC for more money. Jones also wrote that since all the documentary evidence has been destroyed there was no way of knowing whose story is correct. However Gerard Jones never contacted either Joe Simon or the Kirby estate to verify that statement."

(I think Simon is right, once you get past 90, you should entitled to say what you want. However, it's still up to people to decide if they want to listen to you.)

I scanned a few more Fanzines that were in the oversize box. The quality of the reproduction was much better than earlier fanzines.

bb

2731988931_c734e7a80d_b.jpg

2732818832_55c1f46980_b.jpg

2731989689_50223b5131_b.jpg

The inside back cover and outside back cover of SS 6 had pictures of comic fans around the country.

Rocket Blast's Comicollect had also improved its appearance by issues 57 and 58.

bb

2732819368_5989ec7201_b.jpg

2732819988_576c3ee0c3_b.jpg

Fantucchio brought a professional look to all the fanzines that he did work for.

My wife and I visited him last year. He's not only a talented artist, he's a super nice guy.

As posted on the Kirby Museum site - here

An Open Letter from Joe Simon to Marvel Comics

Thanks for alerting us to the Joe Simon letter, Scrooge.

Here are further responses from both Simon and Jones.

Link

Gerard Jones handled Simon's personal attacks against him in a very classy way.

I loved reading "Men of Tomorrow" but Gerard Jones has been taking heat from different corners in regards to his characterizations included in the book. The most recent issue of Alter Ego includes an interview with Jean Shuster, Joe Shuster's sister, in which she totally refutes the representation of him contained in the book and goes on to say that she was never contacted or interviewed by Mr. Jones. Further, the relatives of Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson, speaking at the San Diego Comic-Con, were obviously very upset by Mr. Jones portrayal of him as an eccentric odd-ball. They also say that they were never contacted.

In one of Mr. Jones' responses to Joe Simon he states that he is revising parts of the book. From a historical perspective, it sounds like a much needed effort.

Edited by MrBedrock

Oriental Stories (1930-1932) never receives the attention that its sister publication Weird Tales gets, but it deserves a share of the spotlight. They had a similar list of contributors.

orientalstories1932winter.jpg

Cover illustration by J. Allen St. John