• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Cleveland Radio station WCPN visited the current owners of Jerry Siegel's boyhood home.

You can listen to the audio file at their website.

Link

superman.jpg

Wonder if it always has been painted with Superman colors?

There were lots of other great Fiction House covers. Fight was pretty good and Rangers had some gruesome war covers.

2785931732_5d17a2eab4_b.jpg

The Spirit covers were pretty good too and better than the earlier Quality covers.

2785077663_7f39aba757_b.jpg

The Spirit had a few circus stories.

2785078735_6b8ae294e6_b.jpg

Quality comics had two comics with the Barker and his side show friends. I like this issue with Spudo on the cover. He was a very strange sort of superhero. And if you like records, Mad gave them away with the Worst Annuals.

bb

2785078125_4f490d0ae5_b.jpg

2785931168_58e1b33acd_o.jpg

Still getting caught up in this thread after being gone for a few weeks. Love the Oriental Stories and Magic Carpets! I'm just now on the Superman letter and the link to the lawsuit documents - this looks like it's going to be good!

Ryan earlier gave us the heads-up on the Paul book. There are 2 upcoming books folks around here will probably be interested in -

First (and even though I know I'll buy both, this is the one I'll buy "first"),

NormanSaunders.jpg

NORMAN SAUNDERS by David Saunders - Coming in November!

Mars Attacks!, Wacky Packages, battle cards, monster stickers, men's magazines, paperbacks, pulps, and Pre-Code comics - artist Norman Saunders did it all! His artwork was recognizable, and often imitated, but never duplicated.

Now available, for the first time in history, the definitive book on the art of Norman Saunders. Published by Illustration Magazine, Norman Saunders overflows with 368 full-color pages of monsters, mayhem, rockets, robots, Nazis, and naked chicks, all in a sensational budget-priced hardcover is sure to delight every fan of popular culture!

Hardcover, 9x11, 368 pages, Full Color, SRP: $39.95

Second,

underwood-futurepast-virgilfinlay-large.jpg

VIRGIL FINLAY: FUTURE PAST - Coming in November!

by Virgil Finlay

From the 1930s through the 1950s, Virgil Finlay was the most popular artist in science fiction. His meticulous, labor-intensive, dot-based technique, coupled with an unfettered imagination, created fantastic otherworlds populated by sensual sirens and frightful creatures depicted with a nearly photographic reality.

This first-ever career retrospective features more than 350 of Finlay's black-and-white drawings illustrating scenes from works by his friend H. P. Lovecraft, as well as Robert E. Howard and other sci-fi legends. Here too are his rarely seen images from The American Weekly, deemed so disturbing that publisher William Randolph Hearst fired him, as well as art of Finlay's that appeared in such noted pulp magazines as WEIRD TALES and AMAZING STORIES, and previously unpublished paintings.

Available in Regular and Slipcased hardcover editions.

HARDCOVER (1-59929-025-1), 7x10, 400 pages, SRP: $29.95

SLIPCASED (1-59929-026-X), 7x10, 400 pages, SRP: $75.00

------------------------------------------------

By the way, I knew about the first one but not yet about the Finlay book. For all my reprints / new projects need, I cannot recommend enough Bill Thom's Coming Attractions website.

I have several issues of the Barker but Goldenagecomics.UK has several new scans of the issues including the one with the Spudo cover. I have several Superman comics to scan but also some Super, Supersnipe, Super-Magician, Super Duck and Supermouse.

bb

2790522199_fba18e4d45_b.jpg

2790522007_e0feedee0c_b.jpg

2790521859_2c49dc75b9_b.jpg

2791371966_576966ebbc_b.jpg

The Superman required a little photoshop but the others just needed cropping and straightening.

Ryan earlier gave us the heads-up on the Paul book. There are 2 upcoming books folks around here will probably be interested in -

NormanSaunders.jpg

underwood-futurepast-virgilfinlay-large.jpg

For all my reprints / new projects need, I cannot recommend enough Bill Thom's Coming Attractions website.

Scrooge, thanks for the recommendations and the tip about the website.

I think I'm most looking forward to the Frank Paul and Norman Saunders books.

I'm also interested in THE PAINTINGS OF J. ALLEN ST. JOHN.

vanguard-paintingsofjallenstjohn-small.jpg

Have you seen any issues of Blood 'n' Thunder? From the descriptions it sounds pretty good.

bnt21-300.jpg

Many of the Spirit stories are in Police but a lot more are not. The Police comics scans are at Goldenagecomics.UK.

I checked GCD and discovered that "The House of Darkness" was reprinted in The Spirit #4, which I happen to have in my collection.

Unfortunately, the story turned out to be a big diappointment. :(