• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

well done mad style humor. The art is decent as well. Not knock your socks off, but it has the right spirit. I have not been able to find another copy of that issue for sale, but #1 comes up pretty frequently.

As Matt said -

71685.jpg.0a359f3cd333727781c206d87396a88f.jpg

It's generally forgotten now but back in the late 1950's/early 1960's the proliferation of Mad type comic books sparked a satire comics fandom. Quite a few of the participants ended up in the Underground Comix scene.

In the early 70's I was curious about that period so I corresponded with a bunch of the cartoonists. One of them was Don Dohler who had published a fanzine called Wild. Contributors to it included Art Spiegelman, Jay Lynch, and Skip Williamson. Don very generously sent me several samples of the zine.

Jay Lynch sent me a cassette tape of him and Skip Williamson reminiscing about that time.

jaylynch.jpg

Robert Crumb and his brother Charles were also members of this fandom.

It's generally forgotten now but back in the late 1950's/early 1960's the proliferation of Mad type comic books sparked a satire comics fandom. Quite a few of the participants ended up in the Underground Comix scene.

In the early 70's I was curious about that period so I corresponded with a bunch of the cartoonists. One of them was Don Dohler who had published a fanzine called Wild. Contributors to it included Art Spiegelman, Jay Lynch, and Skip Williamson. Don very generously sent me several samples of the zine.

Jay Lynch sent me a cassette tape of him and Skip Williamson reminiscing about that time.

jaylynch.jpg

Robert Crumb and his brother Charles were also members of this fandom.

that is really wonderful! I wonder what they say?