• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

repeat from Have a cigar since I think it fits here better...

For my 10,000th post.... A personal grail! I just got this in today, I bought it sight unseen, and almost fell over when I saw how nice it was & that it is a white paged copy! Very hard to find Four Color #5 from 1942, the 1st Raggedy Ann & Andy comic! I have seen a couple of these over the last few years, but always 3 or 4 times over guide. This was at straight guide & I couldn't be happier!

3212849511_f1240d343e_o.jpg

HOLY FUDD! Great catch. Another one that will probably keep me from getting a full Four Color run. Sight unseen from ebay or a dealer?

Is it 100% Raggedy Ann & Andy contents?

Did the supporting cast change later? I only recognize Snoopwiggy (love that name).

Congrats!

Jack

Our Gang #8 Back cover

3212849455_efb3b63da8_o.jpg

WOW -- you're on fire!

I like the back better than the front cover! What is that odd turkey protuberance that the Mouse Indian is hacking at?

I see that the Our Gang story is "The gang prevent a murder at the movie studio" that was reprinted in Fantagraphics Vol 1. Great stuff!

Congrats again.

Jack

repeat from Have a cigar since I think it fits here better...

For my 10,000th post.... A personal grail! I just got this in today, I bought it sight unseen, and almost fell over when I saw how nice it was & that it is a white paged copy! Very hard to find Four Color #5 from 1942, the 1st Raggedy Ann & Andy comic! I have seen a couple of these over the last few years, but always 3 or 4 times over guide. This was at straight guide & I couldn't be happier!

3212849511_f1240d343e_o.jpg

HOLY FUDD! Great catch. Another one that will probably keep me from getting a full Four Color run. Sight unseen from ebay or a dealer?

Is it 100% Raggedy Ann & Andy contents?

Did the supporting cast change later? I only recognize Snoopwiggy (love that name).

Congrats!

Jack

I bought them both from Jim Payette, a dealer I have used before & trust more than any other national dealer.

The cast is mainly the same Grinny Bear is in there as well as the Loonies & others, but I am not sure if the Friendly dragon appears again or not. And yes, it's 68 pages of Raggedy ann goodness!

Edited by shiverbones

WOW -- you're on fire!

I like the back better than the front cover! What is that odd turkey protuberance that the Mouse Indian is hacking at?

I see that the Our Gang story is "The gang prevent a murder at the movie studio" that was reprinted in Fantagraphics Vol 1. Great stuff!

Congrats again.

Jack

Ha! I have no idea what that protuberance is! lol Yeah, it's a cool Our gang story with Kelly drawing the closest thing to Horror I have seen him do.

Thanks! Some day I would like to have all the pre 1945 Our Gang's, WDC&S, Animal Comic & Looney Tunes, but it's going to take a while!

You'll get there.

Thanks Bill, but I don't think WDC&S #1 or Looney #1 are ever going to happen for me. Well, not in the next couple years anyway. :)

I was going through the Weekend Edition of the Wall Street Journal and they reproduced in large another work of a Golden Age pioneer. They showed this Lou Glanzman interpretation of the Jackson Inauguration - 72511.jpg

Very impressive. I'm not familiar with this phase of his career so it comes as quite a pleasant surprise.

Here are some more examples of Glanzman's illustrations that I found. Link

Some day I would like to have all the pre 1945 Our Gang's, WDC&S, Animal Comic & Looney Tunes...

I feel exactly the same except I'd also add New Funnies and Raggedy Ann to my list.

Whenever I see the high priced comics on the "Which one would you choose" thread, I always think to myself about how many early Dells I could buy with that amount of money. lol

The other day I was admiring the scans of a few Animal Comics online. I'd forgotten how many great stories are in them. In addition to all the fantastic Walt Kelly contributions, there's always a bunch of other features that I find very appealing.

Here are a few samples from Animal Comics #3.

Yes, New Funnies & Raggedy as well, And Santa Claus Funnies & Fairy Tale Parade to be complete about it! :) A lot of the same folks worked in all of those books.

Thanks for those scans, Really jaw dropping work! My mind is reeling! I am hoping to find some nice cheap beat up Animal comics in NY in 2 weeks. It's funny, I too think the same thing during the "Which would you choose" contests. I could have just about all of those comics in GD for hat most of the other books sell for!

It's funny, I too think the same thing during the "Which would you choose" contests. I could have just about all of those comics in GD for hat most of the other books sell for!

Tell me about it. People here have spent as much on a single comic as I have on my entire collection!! And they can't even read theirs lol

I was going through the Weekend Edition of the Wall Street Journal and they reproduced in large another work of a Golden Age pioneer. They showed this Lou Glanzman interpretation of the Jackson Inauguration - 72511.jpg

Very impressive. I'm not familiar with this phase of his career so it comes as quite a pleasant surprise.

Here are some more examples of Glanzman's illustrations that I found. Link

....and here is a recreation that Glanzman did of his cover for Amazing Man 15. Had to find him and convince him. He only did comics for a short period before he went on to bigger and better things. The recreation is quite large and very 'bright'.

jon

72640.jpg.7aadffc1fb42ba77b97413386b4089c4.jpg