• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Scrooge,

Thanks for the link and quote,really interesting. It would have been great to read this sequence in the paper each day when it appeared. Then again, there would have been a lot of other great comic strip reading to go with it. Yes, I am afraid we have little chance of seeing Mickey appear like this anytime soon from any official source. Perhaps when the copyright finally expires there will be some interesting editions around 2030(?) or so assuming a copyright extension is not granted again.

Hope I am around to see them and still collecting. Then I can call myself 60yrscllctngcomcs!

Here is a little surprise that showed up at work on Friday. Does anyone know if these are reprints from early Gottfredson or if they are original to Belgium where this book was published. Take a close look, some really un-MIckey like behavior here, from the Mickey gun-totin cover to the pages documenting Mickey's numerous attempts at suicide!

85525.jpg

:o

Thanks for all the terrific scans. That storyline is a shocker.

Was fortunate to pick these up...

AvonFantasyReader1.jpg

AvonFantasyReader2.jpg

AvonFantasyReader3.jpg

AvonFantasyReader4.jpg

Issue 5

AvonFantasyReader5.jpg

AvonFantasyReader6.jpg

Those are great magazines, Gary. :applause:

If I remember correctly, they reprinted quite a few stories from Weird Tales.

The images on issue #5 look familiar. I'm thinking maybe...Flash Gordon? think.gif

puck.jpg

Ewer's obituary was posted on the Platinium Age Comics discussion group the other day.

Oakland Tribune, June 25 1915

Raymond C. Ewer, Cartoonist, Is Dead

Following a brief illness in New York, Raymond C. Ewer, one of America’s famous cartoonists, and formerly a California boy, passed away in that city several days ago according to news received in Oakland today. His father, a St. Helena vineyardist, has gone east and the remains will probably be brought back to California for burial.

Raymond C. Ewer’s rise to fame was spectacular. He began his career five years ago on the Oakland Tribune as a cartoonist, and later left for the east. There he first drew illustrations for the Munsey publications, and soon attracted the attention of the big comic magazines. He then drew for Judge and Puck, and at the time of his death was exclusively retained by the latter publication.

His sketches of city life were considered among the best works of American cartoonists.

Ewer is survived by his parents in St. Helena, a wife and a daughter. He was 27 years of age.

puck.jpg

Ewer's obituary was posted on the Platinium Age Comics discussion group the other day.

Oakland Tribune, June 25 1915

Raymond C. Ewer, Cartoonist, Is Dead

Following a brief illness in New York, Raymond C. Ewer, one of America’s famous cartoonists, and formerly a California boy, passed away in that city several days ago according to news received in Oakland today. His father, a St. Helena vineyardist, has gone east and the remains will probably be brought back to California for burial.

Raymond C. Ewer’s rise to fame was spectacular. He began his career five years ago on the Oakland Tribune as a cartoonist, and later left for the east. There he first drew illustrations for the Munsey publications, and soon attracted the attention of the big comic magazines. He then drew for Judge and Puck, and at the time of his death was exclusively retained by the latter publication.

His sketches of city life were considered among the best works of American cartoonists.

Ewer is survived by his parents in St. Helena, a wife and a daughter. He was 27 years of age.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know he died that young. I do recall seeing somewhere that the brief illness was tuberculosis.