• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

mutoscopecards8.jpg

OK BZ, I have a mutoscope (bought it in the early 80's at the auction that followed a fatal fire at Sydney's Luna Park). Like so many things in my life, it is a "work in progress" regarding restoration, so here comes the question.

Mutoscope cards were generally "drums" of cards that, when viewed through the viewfinder and as the drum rotated the "persistence of vision" gave the illusion of movement. Think rifling an animator's drawings. As a rule these were black and white photos, occasionally hand tinted or coloured.

So what are these? Are they the teaser "title cards" to attract the punter? If so they are in astonishing condition - I am truly impressed.

mutoscopecards8.jpg

OK BZ, I have a mutoscope (bought it in the early 80's at the auction that followed a fatal fire at Sydney's Luna Park). Like so many things in my life, it is a "work in progress" regarding restoration, so here comes the question.

Mutoscope cards were generally "drums" of cards that, when viewed through the viewfinder and as the drum rotated the "persistence of vision" gave the illusion of movement. Think rifling an animator's drawings. As a rule these were black and white photos, occasionally hand tinted or coloured.

So what are these? Are they the teaser "title cards" to attract the punter? If so they are in astonishing condition - I am truly impressed.

As noted by Wikipedia:

Mutoscope cards were 5.25" x 3.25" (13.3 cm x 8.25 cm) cards published during the 1940s by the International Mutoscope Reel Company and other firms. They are not individual pictures from Mutoscope reels and have no connection whatsoever to the Mutoscope motion-picture device. All carry the inscription "A Mutoscope card." They were sold from coin-operated vending machines in places such as amusement parks. Most Mutoscope cards are of "pin-up" material, but some featured other kinds of images such as Jimmy Hatlo cartoons.

Glad you didn't collect the Jimmy Hatlo cards.

I have them. :makepoint:

:sumo: Oh-h, I so wish I could find them quickly; just so I could torment you...you...you Hatlo hater. :baiting:

jimmyhatlo.jpg

I bet Scrooge secretly collects Little Iodine comics. :gossip:

Jimmy Hatlo Link

All element covers!

I buy Little Iodine on the cheap (do I even need to add that last part?) but they don't show up very often. Hatlo must have a reasonably strong fan base, or the issues simply weren't saved like more popular titles.

Jack

Glad you didn't collect the Jimmy Hatlo cards.

I have them. :makepoint:

:sumo: Oh-h, I so wish I could find them quickly; just so I could torment you...you...you Hatlo hater. :baiting:

I bet Scrooge secretly collects Little Iodine comics. :gossip:

I know all too well who Hatlo was and that's why I didn't want to see those cards :sick:

I remember as a kid buying nudie card decks like the ones you're not showing us :sumo: at local carnivals. :grin:

Somehow my dad and uncles always were interested in a quick look but then ... mom came around and threw them away :pullhair: ... didn't matter though as there were always kids at school the next day that were smarter than me :whistle:

I remember as a kid buying nudie card decks like the ones you're not showing us :sumo: at local carnivals. :grin:

Somehow my dad and uncles always were interested in a quick look but then ... mom came around and threw them away :pullhair:

I took at look at the original box and discovered that the playing cards aren't nudie cards, they're Art Studies cards. cool_shades.gif

artstudies.jpg

carnival.gifcarnival.gif

I took at look at the original box and discovered that the playing cards aren't nudie cards, they're Art Studies cards.

Well then it should be okay to post them. :popcorn:

As noted by Wikipedia:

Mutoscope cards were 5.25" x 3.25" (13.3 cm x 8.25 cm) cards published during the 1940s by the International Mutoscope Reel Company and other firms. They are not individual pictures from Mutoscope reels and have no connection whatsoever to the Mutoscope motion-picture device. All carry the inscription "A Mutoscope card." They were sold from coin-operated vending machines in places such as amusement parks. Most Mutoscope cards are of "pin-up" material, but some featured other kinds of images such as Jimmy Hatlo cartoons.

Thanks for shining a little light in my seemingly bottomless pit of ignorance. I have never seen these before. Now I am going to hunt around and see if I can come up with a picture of the dispensing machine . . . . . .

I took at look at the original box and discovered that the playing cards aren't nudie cards, they're Art Studies cards.

Well then it should be okay to post them.

think.gif

I suppose it would be acceptable, especially since I know everyone on this forum is a "discriminating artist and connoisseur of art." lol

artstudiesinstructions.jpg

artstudiesjoker.jpg