• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Picked up these two Weird Tales recently. Posted one before but added an Argosy to the mix. I guess I had to have one after seeing all of those Brundage covers that BZ owns.

4512400035_98d6004e69_b.jpg

not sure whether Matt Fox did that cover but don't think so.

4512400221_1b64a4283c_b.jpg

4480646816_da0cd0690a_b.jpg

Early Argosy is a treat. I think I will try to pick up some more. Westerns and mystery Argosy covers are just as good as Scifi and ERB....almost.

4512397725_4c366609b6_b.jpg4513040636_e9605f63f9_b.jpg

Found a few pictures in a book from 1964. It probably isn't rare but I didn't have one before. America's Favorite Comics by Allen Willette

Edited by BB-Gun

I don't know if you sub to Illustration BZ but the most recent issue, # 29, is solely dedicated to H.J. Ward.

Dave Saunders knocks another one out of the ballpark, providing a great narrative around little biographical data and providing most of that that I've seen available. The reproduction quality is splendid as ever in the mag, which at $ 15 cover price (further discounted at DCBS) is a bargain.

Thanks for the tip, Scrooge. (thumbs u

I don't subscribe to either Illustration magazine or Blood 'n' Thunder, but every time I hear about them I discover I'm missing something great. :pullhair:

I need to stop procrastinating and finally subscribe. :makepoint:

4512400221_1b64a4283c_b.jpg

Early Argosy is a treat. I think I will try to pick up some more. Westerns and mystery Argosy covers are just as good as Scifi and ERB....almost.

I love that cover. :applause:

It looks like those two crafts are fighting each other with knives. Very strange.

I read several Ralph Milne Farley stories when I was a kid and enjoyed them.

Den Valdron's article in ERBzine offers a great overview of Farley and his Radio Man series: Link

ralphmilnefarley.jpg

The Radio Man (June 28, 1924)

The Radio Beasts (March 21, 1925)

The Radio Planet (June 26, 1926)

The comic book An Earth Man on Venus was adapted from "The Radio Man."

earthmanonvenus.jpg

Hopefully you went ahead and read it for free online.

The new Gabriel Hunt novel's cover by Glen Orbik looked very familiar since I once owned a copy of its "inspiration", i.e., the cover by Norm Saunders of Cloak and Dagger # 1. Here they are for comparison below. On his website, Orbik has posted this work without a word of reference to his homage(?) ...

96531.jpg.a9e7370a6180a587521bd9cb2f6b6a72.jpg

The new Gabriel Hunt novel's cover by Glen Orbik looked very familiar since I once owned a copy of its "inspiration", i.e., the cover by Norm Saunders of Cloak and Dagger # 1. Here they are for comparison below. On his website, Orbik has posted this work without a word of reference to his homage(?) ...

Fascinating - I've never seen a Cloak and Dagger. Ever. Not in a collection or at another dealer's table. Am I the only one?

I don't know if you sub to Illustration BZ but the most recent issue, # 29, is solely dedicated to H.J. Ward.

Dave Saunders knocks another one out of the ballpark, providing a great narrative around little biographical data and providing most of that that I've seen available. The reproduction quality is splendid as ever in the mag, which at $ 15 cover price (further discounted at DCBS) is a bargain.

I don't subscribe to either Illustration magazine or Blood 'n' Thunder, but every time I hear about them I discover I'm missing something great. :pullhair:

I need to stop procrastinating and finally subscribe. :makepoint:

The print quality of the magazine is outstanding, much like getting a slim, high-quality art book each month. I don't know that you would like every issue but I haven't been so high on a magazine since the glory days of CBM. Check ebay or budplant.com to get the back issues.

the new cover is awkward.... you're not sure what he's doing with that hand if you view only the new cover. Much clearer that he had just finished throwing a knife in the original. The angles are all off on the new cover in terms of the knife thrower. Guess that's an unintended consequence of starting with a homage and tweaking it.

I read the comic again and it reminded me of Mark Twain's story about a Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. A lot of similarities. Did Verne or Wells do a similar story? I need a hardbound copy with illos by Frazetta or some such artist. Any available? I should go back and read the Twain story again. The language is probably more easily understood than Tom Sawyer. Both books would be better for middle school readers. Too bad sci fi doesn't get more respect from educators.

bb

definitely. the 'historian' is norm saunders' son, no?
(thumbs u