• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The other day I was looking at some 1930's sideshow photos online and I took special note of this shot.

I wonder if Olive Oyl ever found out about Popeye and the Four-Legged Girl?

http://thehumanmarvels.com/?p=44

I guess four legs trumped three arms as a selling point.

"With her earnings she purchased a 260 acre ranch for her parents and sent all eleven of her siblings to college."

"Her beauty and generosity drew many male suitors...." guess Popeye wasn't alone...

The other day I was looking at some 1930's sideshow photos online and I took special note of this shot.

I wonder if Olive Oyl ever found out about Popeye and the Four-Legged Girl?

Hah. Awesome photo! Olive would definitely not be happy to see that. She had quite an anger management problem.. :)

crop0014.jpg

crop0015.jpg

The Popeye strip was a hoot. lol

The humor, even after all these years, still stands up. :cloud9:

I was visiting a circus friend this past weekend and he showed me a copy of the 1936 Ringling program in which I discovered...Popeye. There's no escaping him. :)

popeyecookies.jpg

The Popeye strip was a hoot. lol

The humor, even after all these years, still stands up. :cloud9:

I was visiting a circus friend this past weekend and he showed me a copy of the 1936 Ringling program, in which I discovered...Popeye. There's no escaping him. :)

Love that advert. Geppi's Museum has a bunch of those biscuit boxes.. and some of the cookies encased in plexiglass. Still edible? :sick:

Popeyebiscuits.jpg

As much as I buy Atom Age books, a large chunk of my budget goes to what is my Golden Age of reprints. Here's part of my monthly DCBS order delivered at my door yesterday :cloud9:

Mary Perkins here I come ... as soon as I finish Gasoline Alley's 1928 strips :D

I don't know how Bedrock can get anything achieved at the store with all the cool stuff coming in (shrug) The Wednesday Comics HC is a beauty!

99317.jpg.e849fb7804a1866678b3f7c94c46a0bf.jpg

My budget is shot now that I work for the state. I can only afford the covers and not the reprints unless they are used.

Missed a Popeye FC the other day and that kind of hurt. I

hope one of the board fans got it and I don't see it again at a higher starting bid.

This was the first Stoner Phantasmo by the way.

4664157687_174b283da1.jpg

As much as I buy Atom Age books, a large chunk of my budget goes to what is my Golden Age of reprints. Here's part of my monthly DCBS order delivered at my door yesterday :cloud9:

Mary Perkins here I come ... as soon as I finish Gasoline Alley's 1928 strips :D

99317.jpg

Wow!

I love the variety of what you're buying.

Do you actually read all the pulp reprints or are you purchasing some of them more for collecting purposes?

Very cool selection!

Who's DCBS?

What's that Atomic Knights book?

What is the Wednesday Comic?

I don't know how Bedrock can get anything achieved at the store with all the cool stuff coming in (shrug) The Wednesday Comics HC is a beauty!

AllAmerican16GA.jpg

BZ,

I think you have already shown the All American 22 but didn't show these other two. Do you have the later issues of All-American?

bb

4667750260_1b01838ae3_b.jpg

4667127247_af29c4610c_b.jpg

4667127329_aeccc30168_b.jpg

OK, I like the cars on the GL covers. Liked the movie Cars too.

I'm sure all Golden Age collectors are familiar with Will Eisner's Sprit supplements that were produced for the Sunday funnies.

Here is the Chicago Sunday Tribune's version which also tried to replicate the format of comic books.

These examples are from 1940 and 1941.

comicbookmagazine.jpg

chicagotribune.jpg

BZ,

I think you have already shown the All American 22 but didn't show these other two. Do you have the later issues of All-American?

bb

I think the latest issue I have is somewhere around #50. hm