• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Oh great and wise BZ, why is it that Roy Crane's name is rarely uttered in the same breath as Foster, Cannif and Raymond when people talk about great adventure strips when in reality he more than deserves to be part of that quartet?

Is it once again a case of realistic vs. cartoonish art?

Welcome back :foryou:

I mention him in the same breath. (shrug) Comic magazine art derives primarily from 4 major artistic influences, Foster, Raymond, Sickles/Caniff and Crane. Crane's work, especially his ability to create the perception of depth in his backgrounds, was every bit as impressive and influential.

Yup! From his Lord Jim adaptation for Classics Illustrated.

A no-prize for the good gentleman :thumbsup:

I'll be waiting by the mailbox!

I picked up an interesting comic recently that I think has unlisted Evans art. I'll post it somewhere soon and if you'd be so kind, I'd love to get your opinion..

Yup! From his Lord Jim adaptation for Classics Illustrated.

A no-prize for the good gentleman :thumbsup:

It was the eyes that gave it away.

John Romita?

:applause:

I didn't realize that Romita had ever worked for Gold Key.

I dont think he ever did.

According to Wikipedia his influences included Noel Sickles,Roy Crane, and Milton Caniff.

And I thought the face in Scrooge's mystery panel resembled J. Jonah Jameson!

What a great gift to hear from BZ again.

Thanks, Gary. :foryou:

I was looking through some of my pulps the other day and I noticed a pirates cover (of a sort) you may never have seen.

artistsandmodels.jpg

V1#1, V1#2

artistandmodels192906.jpg

Thank you! These are absolutely beautiful and I had never seen them before.

What a great gift to hear from BZ again.

Thanks, Gary. :foryou:

I was looking through some of my pulps the other day and I noticed a pirates cover (of a sort) you may never have seen.

artistsandmodels.jpg

V1#1, V1#2

artistandmodels192906.jpg

Nice of you to remember my fascination with Pirate covers, BZ. I have a lot of comics and a few pulps, but it seems like I find something new all the time!

Bangzoom, do you have any Mucha posters or original art?

A buddy of mine picked up the last ten years of auction catalogs(high quality hardbound books) of www.posterauctions.com, some fantastic graphics being offered from all genres! I didn't even know of the place or I would have visited while at NYCC last week, it was only a few blocks away from the convention center!

Hi BZ,

I had never seen the "Artists and Models" pulp until a couple of weeks ago when I was checking completed items under pulps on ebay and saw that one had sold......very, very rare!

BZ, check your PM's.

Dwight

I saw that listing. Link

In fact, that was what prompted me to take a look at my copies.