• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Henry Kuttner's Prince Raynor debuts in 'Cursed be the City' in #2 Apr, with the even better second yarn appearing in the August ish, 'The Citadel of Darkness' (seen in group shot). This was the second of his sword & sorcery characters- helping fill the gap after Conan creator, Robert E. Howard committed suicide (the other being Elak of Atlantis in Weird Tales). Great Stories!

Henry Kuttner's Prince Raynor debuts in 'Cursed be the City' in #2 Apr, with the even better second yarn appearing in the August ish, 'The Citadel of Darkness' (seen in group shot). This was the second of his sword & sorcery characters- helping fill the gap after Conan creator, Robert E. Howard committed suicide (the other being Elak of Atlantis in Weird Tales). Great Stories!

Strange Stories doesn't seem to be as heavily collected as some other weird fiction titles but they had an attractive list of contributors, many of whom were regularly published in Weird Tales.

Writers included: Robert Bloch, Arthur J. Burks, Ray Cummings, August Derleth, Carl Jacobi, David Keller, Otis Albert Kline, Henry Kuttner, C.L. Moore, E. Hoffman Price, Seabury Quinn, Manly Wade Wellman, and John Wyndham.

The covers were mostly by Earle Bergey and the magazine's interiors featured artwork by Virgil Finlay, Leo Morey, and Harry Parkhurst, among others.

Anybody pick up anything from the Tom Mackie auction a few days ago.

I enjoyed seeing everything that was offered for sale. I have one issue of the Buck Rogers series but had never before seen most of the other covers.

buckrogers.jpg

Strange Stories doesn't seem to be as heavily collected as some other weird fiction titles but they had an attractive list of contributors, many of whom were regularly published in Weird Tales.

Writers included: Robert Bloch, Arthur J. Burks, Ray Cummings, August Derleth, Carl Jacobi, David Keller, Otis Albert Kline, Henry Kuttner, C.L. Moore, E. Hoffman Price, Seabury Quinn, Manly Wade Wellman, and John Wyndham.

The covers were mostly by Earle Bergey and the magazine's interiors featured artwork by Virgil Finlay, Leo Morey, and Harry Parkhurst, among others.

I had some interesting Earle Bergey news today. One of the REH scholars and collectors that I know, Patrice Louinet, just got through selling a huge run of high grade Fight Stories on ebay. Apparently the great grandson of Earle Bergey won a bunch of them. He told Patrice that he's working on a book on his famous ancester and doing research Patrice gave him a bunch hi-res scans to use and plans on keeping in touch with him. Hopefully he will get a cool story or two about Bergey.

I had some interesting Earle Bergey news today. One of the REH scholars and collectors that I know, Patrice Louinet, just got through selling a huge run of high grade Fight Stories on ebay. Apparently the great grandson of Earle Bergey won a bunch of them. He told Patrice that he's working on a book on his famous ancester and doing research Patrice gave him a bunch hi-res scans to use and plans on keeping in touch with him. Hopefully he will get a cool story or two about Bergey.

That's great news about the Bergey book. Was there any mention made of when it was scheduled to be published?

This is what I most remember about Patrice whenever I see his name in print: Link

My copy of the H.J. Ward book should arrive early next week. I already have read the fantastic Illustration Mag article Dave did on Ward. I don't know how much more information there will be but at least I can assume that there will be more illustrations. In fact, due to the extensive coverage in Illustration, I hesitated buying the book ... but in the end caved in.

Have you received your copy, BZ?

My copy of the H.J. Ward book should arrive early next week. I already have read the fantastic Illustration Mag article Dave did on Ward. I don't know how much more information there will be but at least I can assume that there will be more illustrations. In fact, due to the extensive coverage in Illustration, I hesitated buying the book ... but in the end caved in.

Have you received your copy, BZ?

I was waiting for Amazon to discount the price.

I noticed that they finally did that, so I will probably be placing my order within the next few days.