• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

those are also the years that S&S-/-Campbell published sister mag Unknown. they ran a bunch a fine fantasy. don't have any to show but these two classics ran in early '40s ishes. the Elron is exquisite fun- as the hero swordfights on deck of pirate ship he can hear the typewriter in the sky as the author writes the scene. The VanV also killer- hero has amnesia pg 1 and is a superman by pg 6 -go Alfie!! both these are UK eds...

img256.jpg

interesting footnote- AE helped Elron in early days of scientology...which premiered in Astounding!!!...

Several years ago a bunch of books from William Lindsay Gresham's personal library came up for auction. I bought a couple of them but the one I really wish I had bid more aggressively on was his copy of Dianetics. The margins were filled with Gresham's annotations of the text. Both he and wife, Joy Davidman were early followers of the philosophy. She later married C.S. Lewis.

I have 5 other great carny novels lined up (Nightmare Alley by William Gresham is one)!

Nightmare Alley is a classic. I have several different hardback and paperback editions of it.

What are the other carny novels you have in your collection?

I know we've posted fanzines in this thread before, so I wanted to share this one with you all. I've been after this one a long while. It includes a Detective Comics index!

batmania19.jpg

Congratulations, Bill. :applause:

I love those early fanzines. I don't think their entertainment value has diminished through the years. I'm surprised in reading them today how much great research was actually done so long ago.

I remember enjoying Michael Friedrich's article about selling his first pro -script in that issue of Bat-Mania.

And I don't want to forget to wish you a ... :gossip:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! party.gifbestwishes.gif

5194439439_ea96bc53a1_b.jpg

Index was by Raymond Miller obviously. Can he ever get enough credit from fandom?

I am still reading back issues of RBCC and amazed by all of his contributions.

I suspect he was a one man show that built an amazing collection and data which is still being used today.

Oh, he was also very good at writing up the stories in text form and making them entertaining.

bb

Carny books part 2: tho BZ has thought I'd show the folks first pb Nightmare Alley since such super example of James Avati's work... World of Wonders cover not much but what a book! last of trilogy (only one I read) a little literary but very approachable and entertaining- so phantasmagorical it's hard to remember what happened other than that it was sensational!!!! (read long time ago...) I also thought it proper to show my first ed of Something Wicked in case Ray is a 'lurker' on the boards!

img260.jpg

img261.jpg

Had to share this pulp/paperback related item.

Yesterday I somehow got tricked into going to a department store by my wife, while rifling through the t-shirt rack I found this- I wasn't even aware the line existed!

moonpool.jpg

oh yeah- Lao is unique and the Alter (says copyright 1966 Fawcett inside) is one of many early-mid '60s books that almost pastiches the fifties but still packs a good wallop taken straight... The R Davies would not disappoint. Plus wanted to post this while Elron, and Fantastic Adventures are still hot topics and Robert Gibson Jones artist of both the Sturgeon ish and this. will post my Shasta 'Slaves of Sleep' DJ later- my copy has a great story goes with it... plus request for big fat scan of Dreaming Jewels cover- backgrounds full of monsters each with charming monsternalities are up there...

img263.jpg

ok- am third gen SF fan- my dad read books like The Messiah of the Cylinder back when they came out in the 19-teens (watch BZ have first- i have the Hyperion reprint with Coll illos), my half-bro boasted of buying every ish of Astounding off the stands from #1 (1930) up. too bad he didn't save um till I wised him up in early '60s and started going over to San Diego and buying back issues for a nickel filling '47-'59. the Slaves of Sleep was a Xmas gift from dad to bro in 1956. the inscription reads (remember the title) 'From one of the slaves to the Champ! Much Love - Yuletide 1956'. have read 'Slaves' fun (Typewriter In the Sky is better) but not 'Masters'. Am concerned that it wasn't reprinted. Scrooge please note- while reading raw (original 'pulp' pub) is great the hardback and PB reprint process has also served as a filter to hopefully separate wheat from chaff- remember Sturgeon's Law. So reading some authors in 'reprint' then going out to get originals of one's you like may be another avenue...

as to when the head of main character got torn off DJ I could swear I remember it whole from childhood... at any rate thanks to Bob Madle for color copy behind it...

+ Elron wrote a SF novel in 1939 (Astounding) Final Blackout- that had the USA as techno bad guy while the rest of the world lived in a depressed and 'backward' future. seems like a gutsy thought for during the run-up to WW2...

img268.jpg

Scrooge please note- while reading raw (original 'pulp' pub) is great the hardback and PB reprint process has also served as a filter to hopefully separate wheat from chaff- remember Sturgeon's Law. So reading some authors in 'reprint' then going out to get originals of one's you like may be another avenue...

No doubt ... but then it would force me to determine who my faves are, wouldn't it? Of course, names are now famous so my opinion would sadly be biased but we do determine the best from sifting through the rest of the pack. Might still be fun to go raw just for that experience. Plus, everything will be new to me.

Thanks for the reminiscence, Sir. Made you sound older than you are though :baiting:

my dad was pretty old when I was born. and with you since you're interested as much in the pulps themselves as the stories it's a win-win. the one good thing about 'pure' story is it takes it for the most part out of the economic arena as much of the best writing is available in inexpensive formats. But I'm all for having pretty pictures to go along (this is a comics forum), plus the history you get with old mags and books- not to mention the aroma...