• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Do you have any Dold pulp covers you can show? I ask because he is unknown to me but in the March 1942 Stirring Science issue, in the letter column, he is listed right alongside Bok and Finley as being the best and yet, I can't say that I know of any of his covers ??? Maybe I have seen them but did not know his name. Are you familiar with his work?

Do you have any Dold pulp covers you can show? I ask because he is unknown to me but in the March 1942 Stirring Science issue, in the letter column, he is listed right alongside Bok and Finley as being the best and yet, I can't say that I know of any of his covers ??? Maybe I have seen them but did not know his name. Are you familiar with his work?

Elliott Dold is mostly known for the story illustrations he did for Astounding magazine.

Apparently he didn't do many cover paintings. This is one of the few that I've seen.

cosmic194107.jpg

Cosmic Science-Fiction (July 1941)

Elliott Dold and his brother Douglas were both illustrators.

Elliott didn't produce many covers.

This is one of the few.

cosmic194107.jpg

Cosmic Science-Fiction (July 1941)

Thanks Pat! Thanks BZ!

That cover of Cosmic SF has a very Woodesque flair to it but I believe it's better executed, i.e., cleaner in its execution. Put an alien outside of that "porthole' and you have an EC cover.

Fans are forever singing the praises about Bangzoom WeirdTales pulps (worship)

weirdtales193301.jpg

My goodness, just to own one of those Brundage or Bok pulps in such amazing condition, let alone having a collection of 'em. (worship)

Hannes Bok is a fascinating study, both as an artist and as an individual. Been doing some research to shrink my knowledge gap, and I didn't know he was the 1st Hugo Award winner, was a good friend of Ray Bradbury, and also sadly passed away at age 49.

Once again, those pulp covers are magnificent...

Siegel was definitely a reader of Weird Tales.

Here is a letter from Jerry that was published in a 1930 Weird Tales.

jerrysiegel.jpg

I haven't ventured much into the Gold Comics forum being that I'm still (fairly) new to the genre even though I've collected L.B. Cole horror covers for a while. I have checked out the Cole covers thread, but didn't realize how extensive this part of the forum was. I found this thread and wow - it's going to take me a long time to go through 1300 pages!

Jerry Siegel has great taste being that he unwittingly praised H.P. Lovecraft when he referenced reading 'The Last Test' and 'The Electric Executioner' which were both almost entirely written by the old gent by way of his revision client (Castro). Coincidentally I just read both of these recently in Arkham's 'The Horror in the Museum' and his stamp is all over them. Not his best work, but after reading all of his known stuff, the revisions are fun in their own way. Despite being a fan for 30 years, I've never read any of his revision work and am going slowly so as not to eat it all up in a short burst.

I've been a Lovecraft devotee for many years and have only recently begun collecting 1st edition Arkhams (not just Lovecraft, but others like Derleth, Wandrei & whoever catches my eye) and I have to say that this thread ROCKS! I look forward to reading more...thanks to all who have contributed.

However, I'm very afraid of beginning a Weird Tales collection. I really don't need something new to start acquiring :eek:

Siegel was definitely a reader of Weird Tales.

Here is a letter from Jerry that was published in a 1930 Weird Tales.

jerrysiegel.jpg

I haven't ventured much into the Gold Comics forum being that I'm still (fairly) new to the genre even though I've collected L.B. Cole horror covers for a while. I have checked out the Cole covers thread, but didn't realize how extensive this part of the forum was. I found this thread and wow - it's going to take me a long time to go through 1300 pages!

Jerry Siegel has great taste being that he unwittingly praised H.P. Lovecraft when he referenced reading 'The Last Test' and 'The Electric Executioner' which were both almost entirely written by the old gent by way of his revision client (Castro). Coincidentally I just read both of these recently in Arkham's 'The Horror in the Museum' and his stamp is all over them. Not his best work, but after reading all of his known stuff, the revisions are fun in their own way. Despite being a fan for 30 years, I've never read any of his revision work and am going slowly so as not to eat it all up in a short burst.

I've been a Lovecraft devotee for many years and have only recently begun collecting 1st edition Arkhams (not just Lovecraft, but others like Derleth, Wandrei & whoever catches my eye) and I have to say that this thread ROCKS! I look forward to reading more...thanks to all who have contributed.

However, I'm very afraid of beginning a Weird Tales collection. I really don't need something new to start acquiring :eek:

This is the best threaon these boards, imho.

BZ, do remember what month this Jerry Seigel letter appeared in? THanks.