• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I was a big fan of Houdini when I was a kid.

In Walter Gibson's biography of Houdini, he mentioned that Houdini had edited Conjurers Monthly Magazine early in his career.

The magazines immediately went to #1 on my want list.

It took me about 30 years to find a set for sale. :pullhair:

houdini.jpg

I hate hyperbole, but that is freaking AWESOME!

houdini.jpg

Thanks.

The magazines aren't particularly valuable but they were hard to find in the pre-Internet days.

I like the name of Houdini's column: "Reading and Rubbish." lol

I was a big fan of Houdini when I was a kid.

In Walter Gibson's biography of Houdini, he mentioned that Houdini had edited Conjurers Monthly Magazine early in his career.

The magazines immediately went to #1 on my want list.

It took me about 30 years to find a set for sale. :pullhair:

houdini.jpg

Just when one thinks one has seen it all, BZ pulls another rabbit out of the hat :applause:

Since the thread has taken a pulpish turn, I'd recommend this 1970 tome from Tony Goodstone.

Pulps839x1113.jpg

Reprints a wide variety of pulp yarns and has about 100 covers reproduced in colour - all the usual suspects. There are a few up on eBay at the moment, pretty cheap too.

Normally I wouldn't bother, but with Pat posting all his cool shots I just had to - ran across this in the garage this morning.

I haven't laid eyes on it in at least 20 years, it's as old as I am, and it's the only paperback I own!

BrainWave.jpg

Normally I wouldn't bother, but with Pat posting all his cool shots I just had to - ran across this in the garage this morning.

I haven't laid eyes on it in at least 20 years, it's as old as I am, and it's the only paperback I own!

BrainWave.jpg

Very Nice.

Brain Wave is thought by many to be Anderson's best novel.

I like the cover art by Richard Powers. It's very emblematic of science fiction artwork of that era.

Anderson wrote excellent Science Fiction and also excellent Sword and Sorcery. Many think the below his best novel...

Doubleday 1961 expanded from 1953 appearance in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. cover by Edward Gorey

img453.jpg

don't have too many since my goal is 'good stories with good art' (some of that 'mushroom jungle' stuff looks good but readability dubious). of course FB Long was WT regular- coming so close up on the 'Hog from Hell' Long's most famous story covers dogs from beyond- 'The Hounds of Tindalos'. here he details the perils of a future botanist...

Jan 1950 News Stand Library Canada & early '50s Brit with cov by Ron Turner

img456.jpg

don't have too many since my goal is 'good stories with good art' (some of that 'mushroom jungle' stuff looks good but readability dubious).

I applaud your standards.

I have lots of stuff in my collection just because I like the artwork; and lots more stuff just because I think they're neat (despite stories and artwork that are sub-par). :screwy:

I would probably be better served in the long run if I was more discriminating.