• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I haven't seen anything yet. They are not the best at advertizing and publicizing this. Same with the Darrell Richardson collection catalog and auctions.

On their home page they mention that Darrell Richardson catalogs are are still available with over 14,000 items still for sale. I looked for further details but couldn't find a link. (shrug)

Other Catalogs

Click any of the links on that page for the PDF with full listings. The Richardson copies are in those PDFs but not designated as such.

5482502442_de6dc7f010_z.jpg

BZ,

I think you mentioned you were a fan of Castle Frankenstein. I picked up this issue at my neighbors house during a garage sell.

I remember buying issue #2 at the newsstands.

I bought #1 off eBay about 12 or 13 years ago.

castleoffrankenstein.jpg

So this might be a stupid question that nobody will have the answer to, but I've always wondered about 'Manly Wade Wellman'. Is that his real name? Is 'Manly' a moniker that he added to make himself, well...more masculine?

The name has just always struck me as odd, even for someone born in the early 1900's. Unlike names like Gertrude or Ethel or Melvin or Percy which are now a bit antiquated, I don't think I'm aware of anyone else with the first name of 'Manly' born in any time period.

Of course, I don't get out much either.

So this might be a stupid question that nobody will have the answer to, but I've always wondered about 'Manly Wade Wellman'. Is that his real name? Is 'Manly' a moniker that he added to make himself, well...more masculine?

The name has just always struck me as odd, even for someone born in the early 1900's. Unlike names like Gertrude or Ethel or Melvin or Percy which are now a bit antiquated, I don't think I'm aware of anyone else with the first name of 'Manly' born in any time period.

Of course, I don't get out much either.

Hey, I already asked that stupid question but I am glad someone else had to ask.

:gossip:

I have cd of 'The Best of Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys' & one of the songs 'In the Pines' is also in the Wellman book where each story has a song at its heart...

I really enjoyed the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Will the Circle be Unbroken" album back in the seventies. I saw Doc Watson perform on stage a few years after that album came out and been a fan ever since. Not that big on Bill Monroe but like Merle Travis.

I saw Doc Watson perform on stage ...

He performs daily over in general.

real name + his 'Silver John the Balladeer' stories (below) are SUPER!

1963 cover by Lee Brown Coye

img459.jpg

lol, you guys are something else! Thanks for the info. Not only does BZ remember the question from 3 years ago (and find the link using the hinky search feature here, which is a miracle in and of itself), but I am provided with that great AH cover with further illuminating information on the exact topic! You boys should think of starting your own detective agency.

Now this is one Arkham House book I can say that not only have I never seen, but never even heard of. Good stuff! Now my next question is: how does a gentleman born in Portugese West Africa become 'great friends' with folks that live in Appalachia? Those people really don't trust outsiders (speaking from experience, I lived in Kentucky for five years and had chance to venture into that territory a few times). I guess times could have changed from back then too.

He later moved to the States, going to grade school in Washington DC, prep school in Salt Lake City, and college at Wichita, Kansas where he received a BA in English in 1926. Around that time he started a friendship with Vance Randolf, an acclaimed folklorist and expert on Ozark mountain magic and traditions. Randolf took Wellman on trips through the Arkansas Ozarks, learning folk traditions and meeting the secluded people of the American back country. It was through Randolf that Wellman met folk music legend Obray Ramsey, whose music would have a profound affect on Wellman and his writing.

from bio at manlywadewellman.com (which I must admit activated threat alert on my PC!)

I have cd of 'The Best of Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys' & one of the songs 'In the Pines' is also in the Wellman book where each story has a song at its heart...

I really enjoyed the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Will the Circle be Unbroken" album back in the seventies. I saw Doc Watson perform on stage a few years after that album came out and been a fan ever since. Not that big on Bill Monroe but like Merle Travis.

I like the box sets that JSP Records has issued of 1920's and 30's music.

This is just a few of the many available.

appalachianstompdown.jpg

legendsofcountryblues.jpg

mountaingospel.jpg

paramountmasters.jpg

While probably obvious to most reading this thread, it should be noted and we should remember that Wellman also was a very active writer for the comics in the early '40's, most notably on the Spirit but also for Fawcett, Timely, etc ... Didn't Alter Ego run a short piece on Wellman early in Vol. 3 of the fanzine?

Julie Schwartz pulled n him and other pulp sci-fi writers to support Strange Adventures and Mystery in Space.

The link I mentioned in an earlier post today includes the following bit of Wellman's comic history:

In 1939, the Wellmans moved from New York to the Watchung Mountains area of new Jersey. Their only child, Wade was born there. In early 1940 Wellman took a job with Harry M. Chesler as managing editor of the Gold Medal syndicate. While he had the job only long enough to establish credit to buy a house, Wellman plunged full-tilt into writing for the Golden Age comic books. Many of his friends from the s-f pulps were involved in this new field, including Earl and Eando Binder and their artist brother Jack. Wellman turned out a tremendous volume of work, inventing characters and writing stories for all the major and most minor outfits, including such notable comic heroes as Captain Marvel, Prince Ibis, The Spirit, Blackhawk, Green Lantern, Plasticman, Captain America, Aquaman, and countless others.

Wellman was asked to develop the character of Captain Marvel, and was shown a few Superman comics with instructions to copy him. In Captain Marvel #1, Wellman amused himself by spelling out his name through the first initials of the balloons of the first story. A decade later, this had major consequences in the infamous Fawcett/DC plagiarism lawsuit. Wellman was a key witness for DC, inasmuch as his initials in the first Captain Marvel comic proved he was in at the creation. Since Wellman testified that he was instructed to copy Superman his testimony was damning to Fawcett. Captain Marvel had outsold Superman in the 40s. It is an odd twist that one of the Big Red Cheese’s best writers would ultimately send him into limbo.

Wellman considered the comics work to be the very bottom of hack writing and kept no records of his work. He wrote countless examples of two-page prose fillers (which were essential to claim a second class mailing permit) for which coined the term “squinkus.” [Ed note: Wagner is incorrect here, Wellman's journals define a squinka (plural squinkas) as the plot and dialogue for a comic, not the two-page fillers]. Wellman ended his comics career after the war, although the early issues of Strange Adventures contained several s-f stories credited to him. And the huge stacks of prime, first issue, Golden age comics he wrote for? Well, he kept most of them around until his son tired of them—then he gave them away at Halloween!