• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Wow, that is freaking cool! I love the headless skeleton running off lol

Yeah, me too. When he told me he would add a sketch, I thought it would be a little remarque but he did this full-pager. He's a really cool guy - super nice. (thumbs u

yeah- that's 'Killer Kane' !!!

lol

I really love Gianni's art. There'a a lot of Wyeth in his his paintings. His pen and ink is superb as well. In addition to the SK volume, he also did the illustrations for the Bran Mak Morn one and the second of the three Conan volumes.

Wandering Star had some very ambitious plans - they wanted to publish the complete works of REH, with the purest texts, in these deluxe limited editons. Unfortunately, they ran out of steam (and money) and had to give it up after a handful of volumes. The biggest complaint was that they had only done two of the three Conan volumes and so once again it looked like we would never get all the Conan stories in a nice hb set (Donald Grant's 1970's series was also left unfinished). Finally last year they completed the third Conan, much to everyone's relief, though it took some financial backing from a UK bookseller.

Subterranean Press has taken over and are continuing the series of illustrated limited editons and what they aren't publishing, the REH Foundation will. Annihilus,

the Del Rey tpbs that I linked you to earlier are the mass market version of these limited editions.

The whole story behind the publication of these volumes is an interesting saga in it's own right. Here a piece I did about it when Conan vol. 3 finally came out:

A Book Too Far: The Savage Tale of the Wandering Star Limited Editions

yeah- that's 'Killer Kane' !!!

lol

I really love Gianni's art. There'a a lot of Wyeth in his his paintings. His pen and ink is superb as well. In addition to the SK volume, he also did the illustrations for the Bran Mak Morn one and the second of the three Conan volumes.

Wandering Star had some very ambitious plans - they wanted to publish the complete works of REH, with the purest texts, in these deluxe limited editons. Unfortunately, they ran out of steam (and money) and had to give it up after a handful of volumes. The biggest complaint was that they had only done two of the three Conan volumes and so once again it looked like we would never get all the Conan stories in a nice hb set (Donald Grant's 1970's series was also left unfinished). Finally last year they completed the third Conan, much to everyone's relief, though it took some financial backing from a UK bookseller.

Subterranean Press has taken over and are continuing the series of illustrated limited editons and what they aren't publishing, the REH Foundation will. Annihilus,

the Del Rey tpbs that I linked you to earlier are the mass market version of these limited editions.

The whole story behind the publication of these volumes is an interesting saga in it's own right. Here a piece I did about it when Conan vol. 3 finally came out:

A Book Too Far: The Savage Tale of the Wandering Star Limited Editions

They are nice looking volumes! I did pick up the Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard trade that you linked to and have only started reading it (I just finished the first Kane story 'Rattle of Bones'). His is a style I'm not all that familiar with (a bit 'swashbuckley'), totally different from the other weird fiction I'm well versed in, though I am warming up to it. I also picked up the Tales of Weird Menace from the REH site that you (or someone here) hipped me to, but haven't started in on that one yet - it's got a sweet cover tho! I also got the collected letters they put out and will enjoy digging into those one day once my 'to read' pile dwindles a bit.

There is a Lovecraft version much like the REH books you showed us (maybe by the same company, I'm not sure) that I'd like to get someday, though it's a bit spendy for me at the moment. Centipede Press also puts out some nice books in the genre like the lovecraft in the link (along with newer authors).

It's definately more "swashbuckly" that's for sure. I made this point in the pulp thread I think, that even in REH's Mythos stories, you'll find his protagonists tend to fight back against whatever eldritch horrors they encounter, rather than just curling up into a gibbering fetal position and going insane. "The Black Stone" is great example of that. He was always more comfortable with action-oriented characters regardless of genre - that was his strong suit.

A series of HPL illustrated limited editions (with the Joshi-edited texts) would be amazing. Do you have any more info on the volume you mentioned?

Well, the one in the link I included above is illustrated (and freaking expensive) but I don't see any reference to the sources as being the Joshi-edited texts, so I'm a bit doubtful that it is based upon the corrected texts - though it certainly could be.

Girasol issued a two volume facsimile version of Lovecraft's stuff, but that's not what I'm remembering either. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find the volumes that I'm thinking of. I remember finding the link on a weird fiction based forum, but there are a few of those I need to scour through to see if I can track it down (I evidently didn't save the link :( ).

The Centipede one is pretty cool though. $400 seems like a lot, but it is for two volumes, so that's really about right, considering how expensive it is to put these lind of books together. Sooner or later though Subterranean or sombody else will do a nice set with the corrected texts. I'll save my money for that.

scanned NC Wyeth plate from my 1929 Houghton Mifflin 'The Odyssey'.

img506.jpg

Nice! A little different from his normal style, like he's trying to give the impression of Attic vase painting, particularly with Circe and her drapery.

Odyssey a super-fave. Bought in late 1979- probably our first trip down to the Bay after birth of my first son. Gina was visiting friends so Crane and I cruised the Berkeley bookstores- 2 months old he was already smelling the stacks! It was $50 or $55 – I hadn’t laid out bucks for a book in a long time and that was a lot of money to a young poet and family man who was just starting to realize that the better I got at what I did the less money I would make. But the blazing beauty of the prints trumped any such and fortunately have never looked back. For me the fantasy element of the plates ups the ante even among the many splendors of Wyeth’s work.

img509.jpg

Many thanks for the Wyeth links, BZ - I like the way they repeat and hold the image for study.

Such color, such imagination, such drama... incredible.

I checked Amazon, and a new Wyeth book is coming out on 7/1/11 - more info here:

http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-N-C-Wyeth-David-Spurlock/dp/1934331228/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301115341&sr=1-4

img507.jpg

img508.jpg

Thanks for the scans, Pat

I read David Michaelis' biography of Wyeth several months ago and enjoyed it immensely. I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the work of illustrators of that time period.

wyeth.jpg

N.C. Wyeth Images

For anyone who doesn't know, the Brandywine museum located near West Chester, PA has a collection of paintings by NC Wyeth and his friends and relatives. It is worth a visit for those that appreciate or want to appreciate the art. It is easy to drive up and walk in, compared to Manhattan NYC or the more confusing Philadelphia center city.