• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here are a few entries from Oriental Stories -

The Green Jade God - Dec. 1930

The King of the Jerawahs - Dec. 1930

The Merchant of Basra

The Ball of Fire - Summer 1931

The Song of the Cakes - Autumn 1931

The Black Adder - Summer 1932

On these, I'd go with The King of Jerawahs and The Ball of Fire as they feature a recurring character. :thumbsup:

Black Adder?! Sweet - I love Rowan Atkinson. :D

Here are some of REH's yarns from Oriental Stories and Magic Carpet:

The Voice of El-Lil

Hawks of Outremer

The Blood of Belshazzar

The Sowers of the Thunder

Lord of Samarcand

The Lion of Tiberias

Alleys of Darkness

The Shadow of the Vulture

Most of these are tales of the crusades and there's some good stuff here - BOOM! Studios recently did a comic adaptation of Hawks of Outremer. As I mentioned before Shadow of the Vulture is the first and only appearance of Red Sonya in her original format (before she became the Red Sonja of Roy Thomas). Alley of Darkness is a humorous boxing stories written under one of REH's pen names, Patrick Ervin.

Since we're showing off paintings of an oriental nature, let me take one more opportunity to plug my favorite modern illustrator again - Gary Gianni.

GianniGary-ConanVolII.jpg

Is this from the story " A witch shall be born" where Conan is crucified? In which case, the guy pouring wine watches as Conan bites the neck of a harrassing vulture. then makes the mistake of releasing Conan, who eventually takes over as leader of the reavers...

Edited by alanna

Is this from the story where Conan is crucified? In which case, the guy pouring wine watches as Conan bites the neck of a harrassing vulture. then makes the mistake of releasing Conan, who eventually takes over as leader of the reavers...

You got it.

Brundage chose a different subject matter from that same story:

WeirdTales1934_12.jpg

Is this from the story where Conan is crucified? In which case, the guy pouring wine watches as Conan bites the neck of a harrassing vulture. then makes the mistake of releasing Conan, who eventually takes over as leader of the reavers...

You got it.

WeirdTales1934_12.jpg

Yes, I got to the title but a bit late - it is one of the best issues of Savage Sword of Conan (#5)

boris20ssc20520large.jpg

Edited by alanna

Not a huge Boris Vallejo fan

Ne neither - he makes Conan look like Schwarzenegger , who was once described as "resembling a condom stuffed with walnuts."

lol

Hopefully Jason Mamoa will look a lot more like Conan in the new film.

You got it.

WeirdTales1934_12.jpg

One of my favorite Conan stories :cloud9:

Since we're showing off paintings of an oriental nature, let me take one more opportunity to plug my favorite modern illustrator again - Gary Gianni.

GianniGary-ConanVolII.jpg

(thumbs u

I had the good fortune of seeing Gary at C2E2. I've known him for years and actually bought his collection of Silver Age books when he needed some dough!

Yes, I got to the title but a bit late - it is one of the best issues of Savage Sword of Conan (#5)

boris20ssc20520large.jpg

Not a huge Boris Vallejo fan, but that is a classic cover! :applause:

I agree. One of his best.

A quick revisit here...

I just checked Bok's bibliography and this is listed as his first cover - as I continue to learn the pulp field, this certainly was a nice surprise.

So two firsts of two greats! :cloud9::cloud9:

WeirdTalesDec39-1.jpg

Margaret Brundage's first published cover.

orientalstories1932spring.jpg

A quick revisit here...

I just checked Bok's bibliography and this is listed as his first cover - as I continue to learn the pulp field, this certainly was a nice surprise.

So two firsts of two greats! :cloud9::cloud9:

WeirdTalesDec39-1.jpg

Margaret Brundage's first published cover.

orientalstories1932spring.jpg

I've noticed that Girasol have published replicas of Magic C. and Oriental. Anyone know what they are like? I've also noticed Adventure House publish different replicas and are much cheaper! Is this reflected in the quality? Realistically, replicas are likely to be my only way in, so I'd really be grateful for any info.

Girasol Publications have reprinted the full run of Magic Carpet and Oriental Stories. They are exact facsimile copies of the original pulps. It almost looks and feels like an actual pulp when you're holding one. The Adventure House titles are facsimiles as well but have a little lower printing quality so they are less expensive but don't have the look or feel of a real pulp. I'd recommend both but would lean more towards Girasol. I think everything should be available on Ebay.

WeirdTalesDec39-1.jpg

I knew it was one of Bok's early covers but I didn't realize it was his first. :applause: