• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

0324_jungledeathraal.jpg

0124-kigor.jpg

G.I. Joe of the Jungle?

These look remarkably like the Saunders (and Anderson?) Ziff-Davis covers.

PS -- I see that you already commented on the Gross-Saunders similarity

"Like Norm Saunders, George Gross was a pulp artist before the war who gravitated to paperback then magazine covers in the post war period."

Jack

110717.jpg.d5c6daaef96910aab004b51784d6cb1b.jpg

Edited by selegue

0324_junglesheenastatue.jpg

Is that Irish as Sheena? I think I have a poster somewhere that features her.

Sorry, BB. All I know is that the artwork is credited to Gross, and of course that it is Sheena. The features are typical Gross.

I got these posters off ebay. One of them was signed by John Hart who played the Lone Ranger, Hawkeye and Captain Africa.

The other poster is Irish McCall as Sheena who looks a lot like your statur and not much like the Powell version.

5564664767_780eaeae91_z.jpg

3611698376_f256f71a49_z.jpg2867770123_ae4c50d578_z.jpg

5565242730_dd7555c189_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Sorry, BB. All I know is that the artwork is credited to Gross, and of course that it is Sheena. The features are typical Gross.

That's the Sheena statue put out by Reelart Studios. The artist is Joy Snyder and I don't know how the artwork can be credited to Gross? Maybe the inspiration but the Reelart studios website shows this as the inspiration -

Sheena01.jpg

I'll tend to agree with BB that Snyder referenced Irish McCalla for the face of this model.

More details of the statue at reelartstudios.com - Golden Age Classics - Sheena

Yes, I think you guys are correct. The statue was the fourth image in my google search and credited to Gross. Now I've tracked the link back to the blog it is on and I find it is right below a pulp cover credited to Gross:

http://michaelmay.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

So it must be a misattribution. (Knowing Gross was not a sculptor - at least as far as I know - I assumed - wrongly - that the statute was based on his work.)

Great statue!

I bought only one pulp at the Vintage Paper Collectibles show today (Los Angeles), and it's a big nothing compared to what you guys have.

But it's my first Hannes Bok and it has great paper, so I'm more than thrilled:

WeirdTalesDec39-1.jpg

I'm off for some errands, but will post a recap of the show later on if anybody is interested...

STEVE

Thanks for all the George Gross scans. You have lots of magazines I haven't seen before.

Here are a couple more Gross covers.

mysterynovels1936feb.jpg

Mystery Novels (February 1936)

I was hoping it might draw out a few of yours! I wonder if Pat has any paperback covers by him? Pat? That awesome Odyssey is hard to follow! What's next?

Congratulations on your purchase, Steve.

I think you're opening the door to a new world you'll enjoy. The role pulps played in shaping the development of the comic industry make collecting pulps a natural progression for comic collectors, I think.

I enjoyed reading Will Eisner's comments about pulps in this letter I saw (and saved) when I saw it offered for sale last year on eBay.

WILLEISNER.jpg

jungle1.jpg

#1 (Winter 1938), #2 (Summer 1939), #3 (Fall 1939)

jungle2.jpg

#4 (Winter 1939), #5 (Spring 1940), #6 (Summer 1940)

The covers of #1 and 2 were painted by Norman Saunders. The others were by Gross.

I bought only one pulp at the Vintage Paper Collectibles show today (Los Angeles), and it's a big nothing compared to what you guys have.

But it's my first Hannes Bok and it has great paper, so I'm more than thrilled:

I'm off for some errands, but will post a recap of the show later on if anybody is interested...

STEVE

Definitely interested since I couldn't go :( - 6 hours was just too far to drive, unfortunately. Maybe next year I can co-ordinate it with a mini-vacation of some sort. They do have it every year, right?

They do have it every year, right?

Yes, it's an annual and this was their 32nd year.

Vintage Paperback Collectors Show

(Mission Hills [Los Angeles], California)

This was my second time attending this convention; RyanH and I went several years ago, and it was really fun. It is held in a conference hall adjacent to a local hotel, and occupied 3 rooms on the site. Admission is only $5.

Though labled as a "Paperback" show, there was lots of other material on hand.

Paperbacks - these were everywhere, from the lurid ("Nazi Whores!") to classic sci-fi; the show was just bursting with these books.

I really was overwhelmed as I know nothing about them, and though I didn't see anything priced too expensive, these obviously were the main attraction.

Pulps - there were many more pulps here than I expected (at least a dozen vendors), but they generally were in low condition, were brown, and were cheaply priced (I saw two long boxes at different tables, $4 per book and $5 per book respectively).

Quality material to my untrained eye seemed very scarce. One vendor had a nice mid-grade Oriental Stories (incredible Brundage cover, had a large dark skinned male on the right, arms folded, sword at his side) for $400, and he also had a lesser condition Magic Carpet (yellow cover, male and female figure curtained on the left) for $250.

Some bedsheets were present, including early Amazing Stories (starting with issue 2) and Astounding, but not in any condition (some even had color xerox covers, sigh).

The most expensive pulp I saw was a Wu-Fang #1 in mid-range shape for $600.

I was disappointed not to be able to pick up a Bookery Guide to Pulps (2005) as only one dealer had a copy and it wasn't for sale (I'll have to track one down). Some guys selling pulps claimed to have never heard of it!

I did pick up a Robert Lesser's Pulp Art hardback for $10.

The consensus was that the Robert E. Howard Conan issues of Weird Tales were the hottest pulps in town. Shadow seemed to be mentioned often as one of the slower titles (sorry Dwight!).

Someone told me to keep an eye out for "Zeppelins", and I had no idea what he was talking about till someone mentioned something about "Gorilla Gas Bags" or such. Very rare, I presume.

Veteran dealers were chatting about the "Frank Robinson" collection of pulps coming up for auction, making comparisons to the Mile High/Church comic book collection, which I found interesting.

Magazines - quite a few men's magazines similar to what alanna has been posting. Interesting, but I can't collect everything!

Lots of fanzines too, mainly focused on Edgard Rice Burroughs.

I did pick up the second (and last) issue of the Outer Limits Illustrated Review, so now I have to find the first issue (one of my favorite TV shows ever).

Original Art - some Virgil Partch cartoons, a small Kelly Freas, some lady named Barnes who did the covers for a lot of Spanish-language digests, and one dealer had Fabian originals on consignment.

Comic Books - not much (no Golden Age), but I was surprised to see some EC's and Silver Age at the show. Several dealers had Underground Comics too.

Big Little Books - virtually non-existant. One dealer had some of the more popular titles (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Disneys, etc.), but interest seemed minimal at best.

Guests - the show organizers do a really nice job getting featured guests to the convention, and they space out their appearance times to keep things moving. Larry Niven, George Clayton Johnson, Richard Lupoff, Richard Matheson, William Nolan, Jerry Pournelle, Harry Turtledove, Donald Glut, David Gerrold, and Laura Freas were some of the names I recognized.

Misc. - sex sells, and there was plenty of it here from old b&w nude photos, to Bettie Page books, to old Playboys (and calendars), etc.

Virtually no Lobby Cards, posters, or collectible vintage Hardback books from what I could tell.

Conclusion - what struck me after 4+ hours of wandering was the astounding quality of material that I see posted here in BZ's thread; I saw none of that at the entire show, so I felt somewhat spoiled by this board.

Overall, I had a really good time but did walk away somewhat disappointed that I had only made a few small purchases. Maybe next year...

STEVE