• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Conclusion - what struck me after 4+ hours of wandering was the astounding quality of material that I see posted here in BZ's thread; I saw none of that at the entire show, so I felt somewhat spoiled by this board.

Overall, I had a really good time but did walk away somewhat disappointed that I had only made a few small purchases. Maybe next year...

STEVE

Great write-up. This last part got me thinking. Imagine if BZ got his comics etc all graded, rented a hall (and security!) and had his own convention. What a show it would be! Everyone from the boards plus every major dealer and auction house would be there. :cloud9:

Great write-up.

Thnx Mike!

Another thing I forgot to mention was that the pulp guys really have a different slant on condition of pulps versus comics, and they are much more tolerant of things like a little tape or a glue repair on the spine.

Trimming is said to be a big no-no in pulps (just like comics).

Finding nice pulps seems to this "newb" (i.e., me) to be just as difficult - if not more so - than finding nice comics from the same era. The quantity of pulps is almost staggering, but propotional quality is really lacking, at least from what I've seen.

Time to hail the almighty BZ once again.... (worship)

Did they note that they were trimmed as we think of it or that this issue was originally trimmed? The Shadows should have overhang until they came out trimmed at the manufacturing point. That is, maybe HA is only mentioning that they are naturally trimmed?

The notation say trimmed. Other copies of the same pulps on their site did not have the notation, so I assume they meant after the fact

For me it is sometimes hard to tell which ones were factory trimmed and which ones were trimmed later on pulps. Comics are much easier. The pulp manufacturing process seems to be all over the place.

There is only one known copy of Zeppelin Stories June 1927 "The Gorilla of the Gas Bags" I don't know when its going up for sale. But it's a part of the Robinson collection that will be coming up for auction soon.

http://www.magazineart.org/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2176&g2_serialNumber=2

Edited by Rip

There is only one known copy of Zeppelin Stories June 1927 "The Gorilla of the Gas Bags" I don't know when its going up for sale. But it's a part of the Robinson collection that will be coming up for auction soon.

http://www.magazineart.org/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2176&g2_serialNumber=2

The fellow I was speaking with knows Robinson personally and claimed to have seen the book. Thnx for the link as it's good to see what we were talking about.

Now just waiting for BZ to post his copy... :wishluck:

Vintage Paperback Collectors Show

(Mission Hills [Los Angeles], California)

This was my second time attending this convention; RyanH and I went several years ago, and it was really fun. It is held in a conference hall adjacent to a local hotel, and occupied 3 rooms on the site. Admission is only $5.

Though labled as a "Paperback" show, there was lots of other material on hand.

Paperbacks - these were everywhere, from the lurid ("Nazi Whores!") to classic sci-fi; the show was just bursting with these books.

I really was overwhelmed as I know nothing about them, and though I didn't see anything priced too expensive, these obviously were the main attraction.

Pulps - there were many more pulps here than I expected (at least a dozen vendors), but they generally were in low condition, were brown, and were cheaply priced (I saw two long boxes at different tables, $4 per book and $5 per book respectively).

Quality material to my untrained eye seemed very scarce. One vendor had a nice mid-grade Oriental Stories (incredible Brundage cover, had a large dark skinned male on the right, arms folded, sword at his side) for $400, and he also had a lesser condition Magic Carpet (yellow cover, male and female figure curtained on the left) for $250.

Some bedsheets were present, including early Amazing Stories (starting with issue 2) and Astounding, but not in any condition (some even had color xerox covers, sigh).

The most expensive pulp I saw was a Wu-Fang #1 in mid-range shape for $600.

I was disappointed not to be able to pick up a Bookery Guide to Pulps (2005) as only one dealer had a copy and it wasn't for sale (I'll have to track one down). Some guys selling pulps claimed to have never heard of it!

I did pick up a Robert Lesser's Pulp Art hardback for $10.

The consensus was that the Robert E. Howard Conan issues of Weird Tales were the hottest pulps in town. Shadow seemed to be mentioned often as one of the slower titles (sorry Dwight!).

Someone told me to keep an eye out for "Zeppelins", and I had no idea what he was talking about till someone mentioned something about "Gorilla Gas Bags" or such. Very rare, I presume.

Veteran dealers were chatting about the "Frank Robinson" collection of pulps coming up for auction, making comparisons to the Mile High/Church comic book collection, which I found interesting.

Magazines - quite a few men's magazines similar to what alanna has been posting. Interesting, but I can't collect everything!

Lots of fanzines too, mainly focused on Edgard Rice Burroughs.

I did pick up the second (and last) issue of the Outer Limits Illustrated Review, so now I have to find the first issue (one of my favorite TV shows ever).

Original Art - some Virgil Partch cartoons, a small Kelly Freas, some lady named Barnes who did the covers for a lot of Spanish-language digests, and one dealer had Fabian originals on consignment.

Comic Books - not much (no Golden Age), but I was surprised to see some EC's and Silver Age at the show. Several dealers had Underground Comics too.

Big Little Books - virtually non-existant. One dealer had some of the more popular titles (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Disneys, etc.), but interest seemed minimal at best.

Guests - the show organizers do a really nice job getting featured guests to the convention, and they space out their appearance times to keep things moving. Larry Niven, George Clayton Johnson, Richard Lupoff, Richard Matheson, William Nolan, Jerry Pournelle, Harry Turtledove, Donald Glut, David Gerrold, and Laura Freas were some of the names I recognized.

Misc. - sex sells, and there was plenty of it here from old b&w nude photos, to Bettie Page books, to old Playboys (and calendars), etc.

Virtually no Lobby Cards, posters, or collectible vintage Hardback books from what I could tell.

Conclusion - what struck me after 4+ hours of wandering was the astounding quality of material that I see posted here in BZ's thread; I saw none of that at the entire show, so I felt somewhat spoiled by this board.

Overall, I had a really good time but did walk away somewhat disappointed that I had only made a few small purchases. Maybe next year...

STEVE

Thanks, Steve. :applause:

That was a super thorough con report and I enjoyed hearing your take on the action.

The fellow I was speaking with knows Robinson personally and claimed to have seen the book. Thnx for the link as it's good to see what we were talking about.

Now just waiting for BZ to post his copy... :wishluck:

I don't have any Zeppelin Stories. :cry:

The best I can do is show off my Oriental Stories and Magic Carpet Magazines.

orientalstories1.jpg

October 1930, December 1930, February 1931

orientalstories2.jpg

Spring 1931, Summer 1931, Fall 1931

orientalstories3.jpg

Winter 1932, Spring 1932, Summer 1932

1949 Red Circle with George Gross cover- soon Goodman's PB line would morph into Lion Books.

Shown with an 1948 Atlas Digest that gives the old globe starring role on the BC...

img480.jpg

img512.jpg

Great paperbacks, Pat. :applause:

I don't see books by those publishers very often.