• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Question for Bangzoom:

You have probably seen the Mitch Mehdy threads where he is sharing stories from the early 70s. Did you hear about his purchase of an Action 1 for $1800 back when it happened? What was your reaction at the time?

I thought he overpaid.

I think Joe Brancatelli's assessment of the event as reported for INSIDE COMICS got it right as to how many of us felt at that time: "...most fans complaining Mehdy has over-inflated an already overpriced market."

InsideComics_Mehdy.jpg

Rare comics were becoming less affordable to the average collector. In the early days even the rarest of comics were within the reach of most everyone, even kids like me.

For example, when I was 12 or 13, I bought Superman #1 from an advertiser in the Rocket's Blast for $55. At the time I didn't actually have the money so I wrote to the seller and asked if he would hold the book for me for 30 days so that I could raise the funds. I guess there wasn't much demand for the book because he agreed to my terms.

That was the state of the hobby back then.

I miss those days.

Robert E. Howard Days 2011 Day 1

All right I'll give a daily trip report and see how that goes. So most of you know I'm a big REH fan and have even been dabbling in the world of REH scholarship over the last couple of years. I started by writing popular articles for TheCimmerian.com and recently I've been doing more academic work on Howard with a couple of peer-reviewed articles, a book chapter, and paper at the PCA conference. I also joined REHupa, the Howard-oriented apa that's been around since the early 70s. Well, a big part of being involved this deeply in Howard fandom is making the annual pilgrimage to Cross Plains for Howard Days. It began as a small get-together for some of the REHupans back in the 80s and has grown to become almost a mini-con for REH fans with panels, guests, a swap meet, etc.

Last year was my first time going to HDs. I met up with fellow boardie lookwhoitis (Neil) and we had great time. There's some pics of our trip in the "Conan Comics" thread in General, btw.

This year my wife Claudia agreed to join me, so we decided to drive instead of fly and make a week long roadtrip out of it. That would also allow me to bring along a couple of boxes of books, comics, and pulps for selling, trading, or just for geeking out over. Since its a sixteen hour drive plus from Tallahassee to the middle of nowhere in West Central Texas we decided to break it up.

So last night we stopped off in Mississippi to visit our own Rich "Yellowkid" Olson, who graciously agreed to put us up for the night. Rich and his wife are the most wonderful host and have a beautiful home. Rich also has an amazing collection that I love seeing when I visit. He and I have very similar tastes when it comes to collecting and I always really enjoy geeking out with him. We thought it might be nice to post a pic showing all these superhero fanatics what "real" grails look like. :baiting:

picsay-1307549235.jpg

Wow ! :cloud9:

What a great hotel you found. ;)

I love all the LOA material, Rich. You certainly have everything displayed nice. (worship)

Great report, Jeff. We'll all live vicariously through you for the next few days.

Question for Bangzoom:

You have probably seen the Mitch Mehdy threads where he is sharing stories from the early 70s. Did you hear about his purchase of an Action 1 for $1800 back when it happened? What was your reaction at the time?

I thought he overpaid.

I think Joe Brancatelli's assessment of the event as reported for INSIDE COMICS got it right as to how many of us felt at that time: "...most fans complaining Mehdy has over-inflated an already overpriced market."

InsideComics_Mehdy.jpg

Rare comics were becoming less affordable to the average collector. In the early days even the rarest of comics were within the reach of most everyone, even kids like me.

For example, when I was 12 or 13, I bought Superman #1 from an advertiser in the Rocket's Blast for $55. At the time I didn't actually have the money so I wrote to the seller and asked if he would hold the book for me for 30 days so that I could raise the funds. I guess there wasn't much demand for the book because he agreed to my terms.

That was the state of the hobby back then.

I miss those days.

The amount of money trading hands has made it a different place. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. (thumbs u

I own the Flash Gordon, the Buck Rogers and the Prince Valiant.

Is there some support group I should contact?

It's called Forgotten Grails Anonymous. The first step is admitting you have a problem.

The second step is picking up a Tarzan Single Series 20. :insane:

Robert E. Howard Days 2011 - Day 2

Today was long - a 12 hour drive. We almost ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere in Louisiana. Who would have thought you could have so many exits in a row on an interstate with no gas stations?

And apparently in Texas they have two different speed limits - one for daytime and one for nighttime. The highway patrol officer very kindly explained it to me. He was incredulous that I would I drive all the way from Florida to Cross Plains. I'm pretty sure he must have thought I was smuggling drugs or something. I had to sheepishly admit what the real purpose of my trip was, at which point he was trying not to laugh. Claudia wasn't even trying. He finally let me go with a warning, mainly I suspect because he felt sorry for Claudia being dragged halfway across the country by her geek husband.

We finally rolled into to Cross Plains around 10pm and checked in to the 36 West Motel, the only lodging in town - $50 a night. Let's just say it's a far cry from staying at Rich's. At least they managed to clean up the the chalk line on the floor from the dead hooker before we checked in. With my job, I've stayed in some pretty low budget places, but this is definately up there. But it's right next door to the Howard House - location, location, location.

I'm going to hit the sack soon - it's been a long day. More tomorrow!

Robert E. Howard Days - Day 3

After a yummy, greasy breakfast at Jean's Feed Barn, I started hanging out and catching up with other REHupans and REH fans hard core enough to arrive two days early (the actual start of Howard Days is Friday). In the afternoon the Howard House was opened for us for a couple of hours. It's now on the Historic Register and has been turned into a museum and gift shop (I'll have some pics tomorrow). A picked up a couple of books I needed and headed back to the motel room for some AC and to geek out over some pulps with a couple of Howard Fans from France.

Later in the evening everyone drove the 30 miles to nearby Brownwood, the closest town of any decent size. There we had the annual pre-Howard Days dinner at Humphrey Pete's, famous for it's steak and fried pickles.

REHDays001-1.jpg

From left to right: Claudia, my lovely and very patient wife; Frank Coffman, English professor and expert on Howard poetry; Rusty Burke, Howard scholar and editor of the excellent Wandering Star/Del Rey editions; and Fabrice Tortey, editor and translator of several French REH editions.

REHDays002-1.jpg

Left to right: Frank; Fabrice; a new guy named Chuck; Ryan Flessing, a member of REHupa; Barabra Barrett, author and poet; and yours truly.

After dinner a group of us went to the cemetery there in Brownwood where Howard is buried so we could pay our respects.

REHDays003-1.jpg

On Day 4 the official Howard Days begins. More soon....

Edited by Theagenes

Robert E. Howard Days - Day 3

After a yummy, greasy breakfast at Jean's Feed Barn, I started hanging out and catching up with other REHupans and REH fans hard core enough to arrive two days early (the actual start of Howard Days is Friday). In the afternoon the Howard House was opened for us for a couple of hours. It's now on the Historic Register and has been turned into a museum and gift shop (I'll have some pics tomorrow). A picked up a couple of books I needed and headed back to the motel room for some AC and to geek out over some pulps with a couple of Howard Fans from France.

Later in the evening everyone drove the 30 miles to nearby Brownwood, the closest town of any decent size. There we had the annual pre-Howard Days dinner at Humphrey Pete's, famous for it's steak and fried pickles.

Thanks for the updates, Jeff.

It appears that the event is jam-packed with lots of activities.

For those of you following along at home, like me, here's the 2011 REH Howard Days schedule as published at the The Robert E. Howard United Press Association website: Link

FRIDAY JUNE 10

8:30 – 9 am: Coffee and donuts at the Pavilion, compliments of Project Pride

9 am – 4 pm: Robert E. Howard House Museum open to the public.

9 am – 4 pm: REH Postal Cancellation at Cross Plains Post Office

9 am – 11 am: “Trailer” Tour of Cross Plains

10 am – 5 pm: Cross Plains Public Library open

11:00: PANEL: Howard Days History at the Library

Noon: Lunch hosted by Project Pride. Donations Welcome.

11:00 am to 4 pm: Pavilion available for REH items Swap Meet

1:00 pm: PANEL: History of REH fanzines at the Library

2:15 pm: PANEL: Howard’s Historicals at the Library

3:30 pm: PANEL: Conan 2011 Movie Trailers & More at the Cross Plains High School Auditorium

5:30 – 6:30: Silent Auction items available for viewing & bidding at Banquet site

6:30: Robert E. Howard Celebration Banquet & Silent Auction at the Cross Plains Community Center

Following the Banquet & Silent Auction: The Second Annual Robert E. Howard Foundation Awards at the Cross Plains Community Center

Afterward there will be some extemporaneous REH Poetry Reading at the Pavilion.

SATURDAY JUNE 11

9 am – 4 pm: Robert E. Howard House Museum open to the public.

9 am – 4 pm: BARBARIAN FESTIVAL held this year at Treadway Park, 3 blocks west of REH House

10 am – 3 pm: Cross Plains Public Library open

10 am PANEL: Conan Movie History at the Library

Noon to 4 pm: Pavilion available for REH items Swap Meet

11:30 am:The Robert E. Howard Foundation Legacy Circle Members Luncheon 11:30 am Saturday at Jean’s Feed Barn.

Lunch & Festival Activities at your leisure during the day

1:00 pm PANEL: Damon Sasser/Dennis McHaney at the Library

2:15 pm PANEL: REH Historical Poetry at the Library

3:30 pm PANEL:What’s Up with REH? at the Pavilion

5 pm: Sunset BBQ at the Caddo Peak Ranch

He finally let me go with a warning, mainly I suspect because he felt sorry for Claudia being dragged halfway across the country by her geek husband.
lol

Thanks for sharing the trip report and pics! (thumbs u

Sorry for the delay, but the last couple of days have been whirlwind and I haven't had a chance to post.

Some more day 3 pics:

rehdays004.jpg

Fabrice and I flanking Dennis McHaney, longtime prominent figure in Howard fandom and publisher of one of the first REH fanzines, the Howard Review.

rehdays005.jpg

Howard's room

rehdays006.jpg

Geeking out on some pulps and cmics.

rehdays007.jpg

My fellow former Cimmerian bloggers, Miguel from Paris and Al from Scotland.

Jeff told me that the concluding BBQ at the Caddo Peak Ranch was always amazing--I would be tempted to go just for that!

All-you-can-eat Texas BBQ at the Salt Lick Restaurant near Austin is also quite good and you can bring your own Shiners or Lone Star if you prefer.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun