• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

How did this thread get to page 2 :screwy:

I was re-listening to Arn Saba's interview with Floyd Gottfredson earlier this week and Gottfredson mentioned that one of the folks he liked and tried to emulate in his work was Walter Hoban and his Jerry on the Job strip. I'll be the first to admit it that I had never heard of the strip before, due certainly to the fact that it was an older strip, Hoban having started it in 1913.

Here are a couple of Hoban's strips from Barnacle Press

The examples below are from 1917 by which time, the US was engaged in WWI and some are related to the war effort.

jotj170802.jpg

jotj170131.jpg

jotj170707.jpg

jotj170712.jpg

Scrooge,

Your above post on Jerry on the Job got me to thinking about older comic strips. It was my grandmother who told me about the Katzenjammer Kids and Barney Google when I was a lad

of 10 or 12. A few years ago my wife and I inherited a copy of the Barney Google and Spark Plug game. The copyright date is 1923, but this didnt quite jive with what I recalled,

as my grandmother had mentioned Barney Google and Snuffy Smith, with no mention of the Spark Plug. A bit of research showed that the comic strip "Barney Google and Spark Plug"

made it's debut in 1923, the same time as the board game.

Nearly 20 years went by before Barney Google would find his way into comic books. In 1942 Barney Google and Snuffy Smith first appeared in Four Color series 1, issue #19.

Barney made his second comic book appearance in Four Color series 2, issue #40.

The strip below is found in Bill Blackbeards "100 Years of Comic Strips".

DSCN1142A.jpg

DSCN1142B.jpg

The cover of the Barney Google and Spark Plug board game. Billy Debeck who drew the comic strip, also did the artwork for the board game.

DSCN1018.jpg

The game board.

DSCN1021.jpg

jotj170131.jpg

jotj170707.jpg

jotj170712.jpg

I was re-listening to Arn Saba's interview with Floyd Gottfredson earlier this week and Gottfredson mentioned that one of the folks he liked and tried to emulate in his work was Walter Hoban and his Jerry on the Job strip.

Thanks for bringing that bit of information to our attention, Scrooge. I love learning facts like that.

I own a Jerry on the Job original strip and would love to show it off but I've spent almost an hour looking around the house for it and haven't been able to find it. :P

I've looked in various portfolios, cabinets, on top of bookcases, under the bed, etc...How frustrating. :pullhair:

Scrooge,

Your above post on Jerry on the Job got me to thinking about older comic strips. It was my grandmother who told me about the Katzenjammer Kids and Barney Google when I was a lad of 10 or 12. A few years ago my wife and I inherited a copy of the Barney Google and Spark Plug game. The copyright date is 1923, but this didnt quite jive with what I recalled, as my grandmother had mentioned Barney Google and Snuffy Smith, with no mention of the Spark Plug. A bit of research showed that the comic strip "Barney Google and Spark Plug" made it's debut in 1923, the same time as the board game.

The cover of the Barney Google and Spark Plug board game. Billy Debeck who drew the comic strip, also did the artwork for the board game.

DSCN1018.jpg

The game board.

DSCN1021.jpg

Beautiful images on the box and game board.

Thanks for sharing. :applause:

I was successful in finding my originals for Barney Google and Snuffy Smith.

barney.jpg

snuffy.jpg

When I was a kid I was an enthusiastic reader of fiction and nonfiction. One of my favorite subjects for a period of time was any and all books about Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett.

I was also a great fan of western comics.

I haven't read too many westerns in recent years but these house ads for DC comics still hold a certain appeal to me.

dcwesterns3.jpg

dcwesterns2.jpg

Nighthawk from Western comics (at times drawn by Ruben Moreira) made a return to comics last month in the pages of the new 52 All-Star Western book featuring Jonah Hex on his arrival in New Orleans.

I own a Jerry on the Job original strip and would love to show it off but I've spent almost an hour looking around the house for it and haven't been able to find it. :P

I've looked in various portfolios, cabinets, on top of bookcases, under the bed, etc...How frustrating. :pullhair:

Sounds familiar!

raiders-lost-ark.png

Sounds familiar!

raiders-lost-ark.png

Check inside the walls? I once found a batman #2 between the walls of a house I renovated. Was in amongst other newspapers and magazines, was used as makeshift insulation.

Sounds familiar!

raiders-lost-ark.png

If I only had a fraction of that space I'd be on :cloud9:.